Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
A Frame end open

I was looking at my A frame and noticed that the ends near the hitch were openended and steel wool was stuffed in there. I replaced the steel with bronze wool so it won't rust. What made me notice was a wasp was flying in and out. It was building a nest. Glad I caught it early.

Why are the ends open?

There is something inside the left side about 2 feet in. Can't really make it out but I c an see it through the bolt hole from the PO's sway bar. I wouldn't think there should be anything, wireing, etc... running thought these.

Any ideas?

Can these ends be spray foamed to prevent water from getting in?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Bronze wool risks electrolytic corrosion between the dissimilar metals. This can be reduced by using stainless steel pot scourers instead.
One reason for leaving open the ends may be to allow hot air to expand when welds are made in the frame. Otherwise, very high pressure would build up, blowing out the weld. Just an uneducated thought.
The obstruction in one tube may be, as in our trailer, the wiring from the hitch jack and breakaway switch threaded internally. Alternatively, mud daubers love this space.
I wouldn't block this area with foam, as this will trap moisture. Stainless pot scourers will do the trick. I have sprayed rust-proofing fluid inside these box sections through the entire length of the trailer. An important task, in my opinion.
Nick.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Smile 11 mice in 24 hours

There are also access holes in the frame which open up into the belly pan.

There are large cutouts between the belly pan and the wood floor for heat ducts, water lines, etc.

Having the box frame ends opens allows a convenient entry point for mice and snakes into the belly pan and up into your living space.

I cut one of those 1" thick 3M scruffy pads to fit.

Anything that gets into the belly pan can easily enter your living space through the above mentioned access holes cut into the wood floor.

good luck...
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Ah yes, it is the trailer wiring form the TV and also the electric brake lines.

I was planning to paint the bronze wool as well to not make it stand out. Just trying to keep critters and wasp out and not let in water or moisture.

Art Stream - I was looking at the scruffy pads as well but while at the HWstore I didn't know if they were large enough to fit. Time to measure and head back to the HWstore.

Thanks for the info all!

nickcrowhurst - did you have your shell off to spray the rust preventative?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
nickcrowhurst - did you have your shell off to spray the rust preventative?
No, I used a 24 ft wand attached to a compressor and a spray gun loaded with rust-proofing fluid from J C Whitney. Details here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ot-2607-3.html

Nick