Old 04-28-2015, 06:07 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Corpus Christi , Texas
Floor is rotted

Well we found the cause for the leak. The eyebrow over the door has a large strip of parbond but it was dry and cracking. We sprayed a hose on the top of the trailer and sure enough water splashed into trailer. We used our creeping crack cure and went over all of the parbond over the eyebrows and waited. We sprayed the hose again and no leak. But we found a dime-sized hole in the wet spot by the door. The floor will need to be replaced in that spot, right? We ordered a small 1.5 L dehumidifier and will run it this weekend to help dry out the floor. We currently have a bucket of drying material sitting in trailer soaking up moisture. I sprayed the stains with a bleach/water mixture.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:31 AM   #16
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knudsvig View Post
Well we found the cause for the leak. The eyebrow over the door has a large strip of parbond but it was dry and cracking. We sprayed a hose on the top of the trailer and sure enough water splashed into trailer. We used our creeping crack cure and went over all of the parbond over the eyebrows and waited. We sprayed the hose again and no leak. But we found a dime-sized hole in the wet spot by the door. The floor will need to be replaced in that spot, right? We ordered a small 1.5 L dehumidifier and will run it this weekend to help dry out the floor. We currently have a bucket of drying material sitting in trailer soaking up moisture. I sprayed the stains with a bleach/water mixture.
I would not go through the trouble of replacing any floor section for that size hole. It just acted like a drain, lucky you.
The eyebrow, if it is a separate unit, would be better sealed if removed and reinstalled using Vulkem, but that requires riveting skills

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knudsvig View Post
Well we found the cause for the leak. The eyebrow over the door has a large strip of parbond but it was dry and cracking.
I have had to rework the seal above the door on my trailer. The gap is wide enough that you need to use Vulkem or Silkaflex not Parbond.
Dig out the old caulk, wipe down with denatured alcohol to clean, tape the joint with blue painters tape, lay down a bead of sealant, dip finger in mineral spirits and strike the joint and immediately pull the tape.

Go ahead and inspect the other areas of the trailer for old caulking. I like to concentrate on one area at a time by just doing one or two windows or section after work. It can be a tedious job.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Corpus Christi , Texas
Floor is rotted a little

We found the leak coming from the eyebrow of the door. We flooded the door with a hose and water was splashing in. The parbond over the eyebrow was dried and cracked. Since my parbond has not arrived from ODM, I used my creeping crack cure and went over all of the eyebrowns to seal the minute little cracks. Flooded the door again and VOILE! No water coming in.

We did find a dime-sized hole in the corner by the door and sink. We will have to cut out that part right? How does one replace a small section? Do we have to pull the sink and do under the sink too? Ugh!!
Old 04-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I have had to rework the seal above the door on my trailer. The gap is wide enough that you need to use Vulkem or Silkaflex not Parbond.
Dig out the old caulk, wipe down with denatured alcohol to clean, tape the joint with blue painters tape, lay down a bead of sealant, dip finger in mineral spirits and strike the joint and immediately pull the tape.

Go ahead and inspect the other areas of the trailer for old caulking. I like to concentrate on one area at a time by just doing one or two windows or section after work. It can be a tedious job.
We went over all of the seals with creeping crack cure and are awaiting our ADseal and Parbond from ODM. I also bought new D gasket for the door. Next we have to align the door because the lower hinge is loose. Ugh! We want to try Terry's 30 cent cure but not sure where to buy roll pins.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Corpus Christi , Texas
4 days after sealing the eyebrow. It's stained bad and stil damp. How many days til it's dry? Dehumidifier arrives Friday. Plan to run it as much as possible this weekend while in rockport Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1430362014.397245.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	237427
Old 04-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Run the AC with a fan. If it is too cold for the AC to run then add some heat as well. The AC is a dehumidifier. Run the AC and a heater in a box on low blowing on the wet spot. Look under the sink area and make sure it it not coming from there.

Perry
Old 05-01-2015, 05:45 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Corpus Christi , Texas
Drying the wetspot

This trailer is parked in a storage place uncovered. We are taking it out this weekend and plan to run the ac and a dehumidifier. Additionally I bought a fan I can hook up to the counter to blow on it. There is no water attached to the trailer currently and has not been for three weeks. The water has been rain water. We have had record rainfalls here in Corpus Christi these last 4-5 weeks. To investigate under the sink must I remove part of the cabinet?
Old 05-01-2015, 07:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well if the trailer has no water supply then it is probably rain. My sink is totally exposed under the kitchen cabinet. I don't know about yours.

Perry