Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
That sounds like a winner thanks. Man I love deck screws.
wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:47 PM   #22
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
AZ has a good idea. I think I saw this proposed once before by either malconium or barkingspider. In your case, I think it would work just fine because you are replacing a very small area that doesn't carry a lot of weight, relatively speaking.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Sorry - I am a little behind on my forum reading...

Putting a strip of wood under the edges and screwing down from above is exactly the right thing to do. I would suggest a couple of additional points though.

1.) Make sure your strips are plywood so they won't split when you put the screws into them.

2.) Where you have space consider making the strips 3" or 4" wide.

3.) Consider using glue along with the screws to attach the strips.

4.) You can now use decking screws through the channel into the wood. Consider using a non-metalic washer between the screw head and the aluminum channel. I found some that are designed to fit a flat head screw (at Home Depot I think). That will help isolate the disimilar metals from each other.

5.) I think I mentioned this earlier but it would be a good idea not to put any fasteners into the length wise frame member. Airstream seems to avoided this so I am personally inclined to do so as well.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #24
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Malcom's point number 5. I noticed the same in my camper. The main rails that run from front to rear had no fasteners in them. I can only assume that is by design. These rails are made of much heavier steel than the rest of the trailer.

The glue idea is also a good one. I have a buddy who makes wood furniture in his shop out back. He says the nails are just there to hold things together unitl the glue sets!

Let us know how it's going.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I leak tested the window area where I think this water was coming from today with a hose and so far so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed tonight when it rains.
wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
, Wisconsin
Excella Leak!!!!!

My Excella had a very bad leak. Not able to locate the source, I removed the end plastic panal off the ceiling. Yes, that is a bunch of work. However, I wanted to find the leak and find the leak I did. The front top panel on the roof had no seal between the outer panels and water would leak in the length of the seams on both sides. The water would drip to the wires in the insulation. Travel along the wires (the conduit) and follow the wires to the wall on the road side. Then leak down the channel to the front window also to the floor on the roadside. I mistakenly blamed other sources because the water came out many feet away from the real source. Also, Vista View windows will leak, too. But the water from that point should go straight down to the floor. Not travel as would when you have a roof leak. Once I found and repaired the leaks then I have started, and am still working on, the repair of the floor and related areas. Good luck.
RickStream is offline   Reply With Quote