Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
Blockhouse , Nova Scotia
Exclamation '76 Sovereign - stolen, damaged, recovered: HELP!

Hello friends

A fun project turned out to be very stressful when our yet-to-be-claimed Sovereign was stolen from its field last fall. It spent the winter with the door smashed open, and both door and screen were pummeled when the the ne'er do wells dragged our Sovereign through the Nova Scotian woods, to leave it, battered and wounded, mired in the back woods. The recovery is an amazing story (come by for a beer) but: we need an outside door and a screen door. Where do we start?

All suggestions, all locations, US or Canadian, are welcome.

The adventure begins.

Paul
Dragonsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsleep View Post
Hello friends

A fun project turned out to be very stressful when our yet-to-be-claimed Sovereign was stolen from its field last fall. It spent the winter with the door smashed open, and both door and screen were pummeled when the the ne'er do wells dragged our Sovereign through the Nova Scotian woods, to leave it, battered and wounded, mired in the back woods. The recovery is an amazing story (come by for a beer) but: we need an outside door and a screen door. Where do we start?

The adventure begins.

Paul
Since I own an Interstate class B and not a trailer, take this for what it's worth, which may not be much…

First question needs to be, are doors for Sovereigns interchageable with other models, or are they unique? The tech folks at Jackson Center could tell you that, as could other Sovereign owners here on the Airforums. If they are interchangeable with other Airstream trailers, your potential sources increase dramatically.

Next question to ask, are doors for different years interchangeable? Again, if you could use a door from a newer or older model, you have greatly increased chances of finding one.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsleep View Post
Hello friends

The adventure begins.

Paul
If you still have the hinges and frame, the door can be reskinned far cheaper and easier then finding a new door. Even if the frame is broke it can be welded and then redone inside and out. I just did this with my Bambi door and it looks like new.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Doug has a good point! Your sovereign is a popular model and year, too, so you may be able t find a replacement if you want or need to go that route. There are rv salvage places out there like Colaws in MO.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
FYI, almost any main door from any 1974 to mid-1980's+ Airstream or Argosy trailer will fit. More will fit, but the newer doors have a squarer top edge, and I'm not 100% sure when the cutoff year is.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com Dragonsleep! You have come to the right place for answers to any questions. AS questions, that is!

While I agree that repairing the existing door would be the fastest and cheapest way to get the opening closed, a second choice could be a wrecker, such as Colaw RV (Google them).

I also would suggest contacting Can-Am RV in London, ON. I've been there a few times, and they appear to have a large number of older trailers parked in the back in the large field behind them. Contact Andrew Thomson (his member name here is Andrew T) and see if they have anything to sell you in the way of a door and screen door. Shipping to you from London should be considerably cheaper since you'll have no border to cross.

Good luck, and I hope they catch the )&^%r8@$%#s that did that to your TT!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
What a bummer.. Good luck,, it always looks bad at the start of the repair..

Just take it as it comes and it might all fall together and be better than before..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign