Old 07-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We used a black sandblasting abrasive we bought at Menards. Two bags took care of the frame and we have some left over other sandblasting we have to do yet (wheel covers). The abrasive worked well and wasn't too time consuming. Took a day to sandblast.

Kay

Old 07-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #86
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Hey Pete did you figure out your C channel dilemma? I am just a bit ahead of you. I bought a 36" sheet metal break and made my own channel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7250733.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	136075  

Old 07-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
Marzby, Were you able to curve it, or did you apply many cuts and bend around the curve of the shell? What type of aluminum did you use?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #88
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Sandpoint , Idaho
Hi there !

No, I haven't solved it YET... :-) But the theory is that my local AS dealer in Spokane was able to order a replacement piece for me. I'm waiting on their normal truck delivery to show up at their shop to save shipping costs. I'll just have to drive to big city to pick it up.

Was in the big city last Saturday to buy POR15 and visit the Chinese tool outlet AKA Harbor Freight. Looked at those metal breaks because I'd like to fabricate a replacement pan for my fresh water and black water tanks... didn't pull the trigger on that idea yet because a.) don't know how to use it yet b.) didn't think 36 inches would be a large enough break. I do like the looks of the new channel you were able to make.

I also saw a gizmo at HaborFreight that said it was a shrinker or stretcher tool. Didn't see it out of the box but it looked like something that would only work on a flat piece... so I'm guessing that to make a replacement curved piece, we'd have to do what you did and cut notches and bend it?

How easy is it to use that metal break? I may still get one because when it comes time to rebuild the interior, I'd like to use a lot more aluminum inside and that break would come in handy for that.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 07-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #89
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
You can use a shrinker to turn an L shape into a curved L shape

Metal break is super easy
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #90
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
@bauxter I used 3003 H13 .032 I didn't make a curved section because the original was ok,but I know it can be done. Check out this guys thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-49720.html
@phyot Get a break, like darkspeed said it is super easy. It would have been great to get a bigger one, but my wife might have had me committed.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #91
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Open door to house
Screw aluminum to edge of door to house
Slam door to house
Flip
Repeat
Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #92
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
Open door to house
Screw aluminum to edge of door to house
Slam door to house
Flip
Repeat
Hahahaha! Getto metal break!!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Sandpoint , Idaho
Painting POR15?

Well.... had a busy weekend. Dropped the frame off with the sandblaster at 0700 Friday morning and had it home and back in place for more work by 11:30 that morning. By 5 PM I had one quart of POR15 on about 2/3 rds of the frame. It sprays easily and without thinning at all. By 9 this morning (Saturday) I had a second quart on the frame and everything covered by at least two coats from the sprayer.

Now that I have a nice shiny black frame how do I paint it a more suitable color? I stopped at a NAPA store today to buy a quart of silver but was scared away by the NAPA guy who asked me a bunch of questions about what I wanted... then when I had that 'deer in the headlights' look, he started to explain things that I didn't know I had to know just to spray some silver paint.

So now I need to ask, do I need to do anything to the POR15 before painting it with regular paint? Can you tell I don't know anything about auto painting? My brother just called and suggested I just get a few cans of sliver rustoleum to cover just the part that will be exposed. That doesn't feel like the right solution after all this trouble to get it cleaned up and protected.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Pete
Old 07-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #94
x

XXXX , XXXX
Pete POR sells silver topcoat which is intended for areas exposed to UV rays. I thought you would have got some of that when you bought the rest of the POR products.

BTW how did you make out getting outriggers locally?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Sandpoint , Idaho
Hi Chris,

Yes you would think I'd be smart enuf to have thought of this and asked about that when I picked up the POR15... to bad that isn't the case. Guess I'll be driving to Spokane on Monday after calling to see if they have what I need.

I need to call the local AS dealer back and find out about the outriggers. I went to their shop last Saturday and left a note about what I needed with the owner. The parts guy called me Monday to make sure he was positive about what I needed and said he'd investigate... by now the investigation should be over so I'll find out Monday.

Pete
Old 07-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
The only places you have* to overcoat is the hitch A-frame and the bumper outside frame section if its visible - and maybe the axle mounting plate - solid outrigger pieces at the wheel wells although they are visible somewhat its not really getting much direct sunlight.

I have not overcoated the A-frame or the bumper frame pieces - Fall 2007 until now and the POR-15 has the sexiest flat matte black appearance from the paint turning into soot. If/when I have the project sealed up enough I can use it I may be painting those but now yet...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #97
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
If you plan on welding anything to the frame grind off a clean work area as the fumes from melting por-15 are dangerous

Por when cured requires a light sanding for paint to stick or you can use the por topcoat within a short timeframe or you can use the por etching primer

The por uses moisture in the air to cure so it depends on your humidity
Old 07-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #98
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Sandpoint , Idaho
dump valves

Getting things lined up to put the under-floor system together. I think all three tanks are in good shape. I certainly don't want to replace them unless it is necessary. The gray water tank has me a little worried because if seems very "floppy" almost as if the walls of the tank are too thin. Anyone know if that is normal?

Also, should I re-use or replace the two dump valves while it is all apart?

Thanks,
Pete

Tags
sovereign