Old 05-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Charleston , South Carolina
distant drummer:

yes to all your comments. (trailer strips probably).
wiring i am upgrading to 50 amp so i will have access to 220 also a few extra circuits. ( microwave , computer, gfi, ...)
also where do is best place for exterior cable hook up? (rear bumper storage area)?

Old 05-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Charleston , South Carolina
not done:

yes, my rear sheet of plywood is one piece. i placed it from the outside.
water heater has to be removed as per "vhord's" post, my belly pan was already down. i cleaned the c Chanel and all screws and bolts that went thru plywood with a grinder and 5" thin cutting metal blade. i made a template ( post #3 photo #4) with 1/8" hardboard, just slid it all way across and traced outside radius. i could stand on back of frame (rear bumper storage)allowing to slide plywood from street side. with water heater out you could see everything. two of us placed plywood but i would recommend another helper.

jim.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyd
the rest of photos.

jim.
Jim thanks for posting the photos. Nice work. What is the material you used for the outriggers and crossmember. It looks galvanized? What kind of fasteners did you use? Are those rivets?

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Part of my belly pan was too tightly held between the axle and the frame member. In my case that was OK in that I was dropping the axles anyway since they were totally shot. What I would suggest is that you could at least partially drop the axle that is holding the belly pan too tightly. I used a small rolling floor jack placed under the middle of an axle to drop it entirely. It could be that if you just need to loosen one end that you could support it at just one end. The axle would not need to drop very much you give you enough clearance. You might also be able to get away with squirting a good dose of WD40 into the tight area. Maybe that would be enough to let it break loose.

Malcolm
Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #19
Airstreamer since 1958

1973 31' Sovereign
Greencastle , Pennsylvania
Nice job! Quick question

Well, this is what I'm SO glad I didn't have to do with mine. I've found a few very small rotted spots that I can live with for now.

My question is, what did you do to seal up the exterior when you finished the project?

I'm hoping that if I make the exterior weather tight now, I can avoid such problems down the line. That edge right next to the bumper storage box is what really concerns me. That's where all the damage is localized. All the rest seems fine.

Appreciate any thoughts on sealing this area. Doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to work.
Stickbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbug View Post
Well, this is what I'm SO glad I didn't have to do with mine. I've found a few very small rotted spots that I can live with for now.

My question is, what did you do to seal up the exterior when you finished the project?

I'm hoping that if I make the exterior weather tight now, I can avoid such problems down the line. That edge right next to the bumper storage box is what really concerns me. That's where all the damage is localized. All the rest seems fine.

Appreciate any thoughts on sealing this area. Doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to work.
You are cetainly right about that being a problem area for leaks.

One approach is to carefully remove the rub-rail trim around the back caulk under it along the seams and bottom of the wall with Vulkem and reinstall the trim in the wet Vulkem. My trim was fastened on with 1/8" diameter pop rivets. You can use mineral spirits to help clean off the extra Vulkem if too much squeezes out.

Malcolm
Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Nice job
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:12 AM   #22
Airstreamer since 1958

1973 31' Sovereign
Greencastle , Pennsylvania
Malcolm,

Good advice. We seem to have made it through the winter with dry wood back there, but that's mainly due to the fact it's away from the prevailing winds. Tubes of Vulkem are in my sights to ensure a dry future this spring. Thanks!

Doug
Stickbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Lake Orion , Michigan
I know this was a while ago but I'm doing some of this now-- I didn't see a answer to this copied question--- Jim thanks for posting the photos. Nice work. What is the material you used for the outriggers and crossmember. It looks galvanized? What kind of fasteners did you use? Are those rivets? ---what was the gage and was it steel---I need a couple of those wings--they look great...Bud