Old 10-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
70's AS asphalt-based frame paint prep for POR-15

Have now spent 10 hours with an air powered rotary cut-off tool cleaning rust and old paint off frame, crossmembers and outriggers. This 1973 trailer has a asphalt-based paint on frame, after a few hours my hands looked and smelled like I'd been handling hot asphalt like they use for repaving highways. This stuff has an almost creosote like composition - the splatter fogged my goggles and stained my face walnut brown.

POR-15 recommends using a potasium hydroxide based degreaser, they warn (and I agree) using any solvent based degreaser carrys the film into the pores of metal and thus weakens the POR-15 bond.

I know some oven cleaners and driveway dregreasers have the KOH ingredient but no way will I hose the plywood down with water to degrease the stringers. My best guess is scrubbing with w/ damp cloth imbued w/ KOH and then sopping wet towel wipe and then a 90% isopropyl
($7 a gallon, wallmart) final rinse w/ compressed air dry.

Anyone have a good suggestion for this stage of my shell-on belly & frame rehab? I will be painting later today, weather taking a major turn for worse here in Minnesota...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
She-who-must-be-obeyed deemed yesterday yard and leaf cleanup day as we dodged rain showers so no painting done but I did spend some time detailing areas missed the first go-over. I've got from back bumper to the fresh water tank locker cleaned up nicely now, just need to fire up the sand blaster to get into the corners the rotary tools couldn't reach.

With airlines running over cold ground I've got so much water condensing out in my air lines and misting my hands from the tool exhaust that the paint dust accumulated on my hands was looking like I was wearing black leather driving gloves. I asked the missus to sniff and she agreed there was a bitumin or asphalt or even creosote component to it.

POR-15 degreaser is a option again, just hate spending the $$ for shipping etc - we have a cold snap coming that will bring spotty snow and will be around untill next weekend. I don't see me doing anything under the Airstream untill next saturday.

Hope someone shares their secret for best effort cleanup of a 70's frame soon...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote