Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2004, 03:47 PM   #1
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Question 69 Soverign (rear end falling down ???)

We pulled a 69 Soverign out of a grass field in florida this afternoon.
We will have to replace 2 of the 4 tires and clean out the interior (been used for storage since 83) ....

We got it on level ground and noticed that the back 4 to 6 feet of the frame (under bathroom) seems to have fallen to ground level.

Without pulling off the underbelly skin and having a good look yet, ...we have come to the following conclusions or guesses....

1. the main frame rusted through about 5 feet from the rear bumper on both sides of the frame..... ( i dont think this is right)

2. i think the main frame is forward of drop and that the dropped rear area is actually an additional frame extension that has rusted through at the connection bolts....this extension would house water tanks or maybe grey water tanks underneath bathroom....

i plan to use a cut/grinder to seperate underbelly skin and have a look....

i think this trailer will tow down road about 50 miles or so to our workshop, ...if i can get this rear piece off or maybe re-welded into place....

can you tell me if i am heading in the right direction....
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Exclamation Three things...

1) If the trailer has been sitting since '83, you'll need 4 new tires, not just 2. For safety, they should be replaced every 5 years or so regardless of the miles traveled.

2) Sounds like you could have a big problem in the rear...search the archives for 'rear end separation', 'rear end sag' or 'frame separation' and similar terms for some ideas of what you may be facing.

3) Don't tow it (even 50 miles) until you are certain it is roadworthy....be safe!

Good luck!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:54 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You are heading in the right direction, taking down the belly pan. If you have a frame problem, it will immediately become obvious. It COULD be only the belly pan that has the rivets holding it up have corroded, and the skin has dropped. If the back bumper is where it should be, and seems solid, that is most likely the case, as it is welded to the rear of the frame.

If everything is on the ground, skin, insulation, pipes, frame, then you have a serious problem, at the very least some new C channel will have to be welded in where the frame is rusted way. Under no circumstances should this trailer be towed if this is the case, until it is repaired. The only thing holding the innards of the trailer up in that case would be the (probably) rotted plywood flooring.
Depending on where in Florida you are, and if you can wait 'till Sunday, I may be able to assist you in shoring it up so it is safe to haul home.
The tires should be ST225/75R15 either load range C or D. Load range will be on the sidewall of the tire, they will most likely be 7.00-15 tires, which are hard to come by. The metric eqivalent is readily available.

Terry
Old 10-20-2004, 05:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefields
...i plan to use a cut/grinder to seperate underbelly skin and have a look...
Drill out the rivets on the belly skin if you plan to reuse it.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
leefields.

Long term storage of an Airstream or Argosy trailer, near salt water, can produce some damage that most people only hear about, and have never seen.

Salt laden moisture can get into the underbelly, and over time, totally destroy most of the frame, to the extent of having the rear end on the ground. Severe damage to the sheet metal is another.

After you "DRILL" out the underbelly rivets, you might want to back the trailer up and put it back where you found it.

If indeed, the frame has rusted through at the rear of the axle mounting plates, you can bet that a complete frame replacement will be necessary.

Expensive and time consuming, you bet.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefields
We pulled a 69 Soverign out of a grass field in florida this afternoon.
Got any pictures you could share? Might help in determining the severity of your problem...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #7
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking

any help would be greatly appreciated...i will be working on interior tomorrow and could wait until sunday to do bottom work....the trailer is located in the Thousand Trails park Orlando...27 south/north and 192 east/west....

i will have pics friday or saturday.....

thanks again
Old 10-21-2004, 08:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
leefields.

Many of us can help you, "BUT" you need to post some photo's.

Doctors can't help the patient unless they can see the problem. Same with an Airstream.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:47 PM   #9
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
seperation

it is a rusted frame.

i used a grinder on the underbelly just below last rivet line on side....

the bumper forward about 4 feet on passenger side of coach is about 90% seperated and hanging down...well rear of axles...

the drivers side of the frame seems to be strong....

i will need a welder onsite....jack bumber up to level and the weld the additional support needed....

or...

just cut off both sides and weld back another 5 foot of beam...maybe longer then original...

what do you guys think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
leefields.

Many of us can help you, "BUT" you need to post some photo's.

Doctors can't help the patient unless they can see the problem. Same with an Airstream.

Andy