Old 01-03-2006, 02:43 AM   #29
Site Team

, Minnesota
Bruce,

The only advice is "Don't force it". I made two trips around the perimeter, sliding a putty knige between the floor and the floor channel and between the shell and the belly skin, before I made the lift. There may be hidden rivets holding the belly pan at the corners.

Make sure the shell is well braced before you lift.

Good luck! You will look back with a lot of satisfaction when you finish. Be sure the shell is well anchored while it is separate from the frame.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #30
used to have rivets

1953 25' Cruiser
1967 24' Tradewind
Sacramento , California
Two trips around the trailer it is!

I do have another question of course. I thought I read somewhere that the shell can be removed without removing the bottom channel, and that it is best to put it back on with the channel in place?

I always seem to do things differently, so I am planning on lifting the shell from the roof. I was a web site of a professional trailer restorer and that is how they were doing it. I am lucky enough to be doing this in a warehouse, and can use the structure to lift from. They showed a long beam system running the length, and cables run through the vent holes. I have 3 vents, so I should be able to spread the load.

Hoping for the best.

Bruce

Old 01-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #31
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchTin
Two trips around the trailer it is!

I do have another question of course. I thought I read somewhere that the shell can be removed without removing the bottom channel, and that it is best to put it back on with the channel in place?

I always seem to do things differently, so I am planning on lifting the shell from the roof. I was a web site of a professional trailer restorer and that is how they were doing it. I am lucky enough to be doing this in a warehouse, and can use the structure to lift from. They showed a long beam system running the length, and cables run through the vent holes. I have 3 vents, so I should be able to spread the load.

Hoping for the best.

Bruce
I lifted my shell of from the top, in a warehouse, using the roof beams of the warehouse as chain supports.
In my opinion, it is not possible to lift he channel off the floor with the shell attached to it. The belly wraps into the channel, seperation is essential.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:37 AM   #32
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
. . . In my opinion, it is not possible to lift he channel off the floor with the shell attached to it. The belly wraps into the channel, seperation is essential.
Certainly all the rivets need to be drilled out, and the bellypan separated, in order to lift the shell.

I left the floor channel loosely attached to the shell . This was after splitting the shell and the belly pan apart. I lowered the bellypan and reattached the floor channel to the shell with clecoes. You need to lower the belly pan in order to cut loose the screws holding the floor channel to the floor at the outriggers.

I also found it easier to reassemble the body to the new floor if the floor channel was clecoed to the shell while lowering it. Once the channel was screwed to the floor, I removed the clecoes, slid the new belly pan in, and bucked the rivets in.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #33
used to have rivets

1953 25' Cruiser
1967 24' Tradewind
Sacramento , California
This is good news, and should allow me to make progerss. UWE, I am glad to hear about the lift from above. I have 2) 2x6's running the length of the trailer and hope to pull up at 3 points.

What did you use in the center as support material UWE? Did you use any other attachements to the shell?

Thanks, Bruce
Old 01-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #34
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
This is good news, and should allow me to make progerss. UWE, I am glad to hear about the lift from above. I have 2) 2x6's running the length of the trailer and hope to pull up at 3 points.

What did you use in the center as support material UWE? Did you use any other attachements to the shell?

Thanks, Bruce
Bruce,

My technique:

3 sections of 2x6 or 2x4 lengthwise across the 3 roof vents.
3 chains through snug holes in the roof beams.
Hardened bolt/nut through the chain on the roof beam end.
Now chains hang down through roof vents, and thread throught he 2x6's across the roof vent opening.
Brace the shell fore/aft and side to side before removing it.
Use 3 more hardened bolts through chain ends to hold up 2x6's.
Lift at 2x6 with hydraulic floor jack, to pop the shell out of it's resting place, then GRADUALLY move the bolt through one chain link at a time, lifting front and back alternatively. Don't forget to move the bolt in the center as well, about every other time you do the front and rear.
My shell hung on teh ceiling for better than a month, and had not distorted even the slightest bit. However, it is a vey flimsy assembly once it's loose from the floor, even when braced.
My Overlander thread has pics of the shell hanging on the ceiling.
I might have more in my iphoto, let me kow if you want me to post them.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:44 PM   #35
used to have rivets

1953 25' Cruiser
1967 24' Tradewind
Sacramento , California
I hadn't thought of that. I was going to use the same rigging, but was going to have 3 come-alongs above each vent and actually use them to lift the shell. That is what it looked like the restoration shop was doing. What do you think?

Bruce
Old 01-04-2006, 09:48 PM   #36
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
I hadn't thought of that. I was going to use the same rigging, but was going to have 3 come-alongs above each vent and actually use them to lift the shell. That is what it looked like the restoration shop was doing. What do you think?Bruce
It's just hard to get on top of the shell while you're trying to lift it off it's foundation. I did not have enough room over the trailer to use tackle.
Your idea should work fine, if you have enough clearance.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:42 PM   #37
used to have rivets

1953 25' Cruiser
1967 24' Tradewind
Sacramento , California
UWE,

I went to see your photos under member photos, put in your name, and all it showed was your pismo beach photos. What am I doing wrong?
Old 01-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #38
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
UWE,

I went to see your photos under member photos, put in your name, and all it showed was your pismo beach photos. What am I doing wrong?
The repair photos are not on the photo site, but in my Overlander thread.
So, therefore, you did nothing wrong.
The thread is called "A 63 for me". Here's the picture of the shell hanging on the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN1916-1.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	17451