Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
BarryIowa, Your Cloud is a work of art. Glad to hear it still resides in your studio. If and when I get mine finished, it would be special to bump into each other in some boondock and share notes.
Don

We might need to have a Flying Cloud get together somewhere out west in the future.................
Old 07-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #162
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Rally

Safarie 57, I like your idea of a Flying Cloud rally. We should hold it on Cloud 9
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #163
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Very good.

Barry
Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #164
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Final Floor Plan

Some of you may remember that when we bought our 55, it was pretty much gutted. We have studies and looked at other 55's. We also studied all the wall markings to come up with a Floor plan. This is the Final Floor Plan. That is until we actually start building parts. But I'm sure this is close to what it will be. One picture here shows how we took all the thinks like toilet, sink, water heater,etc. and placed them on the floor and began drawing the plan on the 55 floor. We made several changes from the original plan listed earlier. This also helped me plan for plumbing and holding tanks. Hope you find this of some interest.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plan layout items.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	84401   Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Flying Cloud Color correct 1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	84402  

Name:	55 Flying Cloud Color correct 2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	84403   Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Flying Cloud Color correct 3.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	84404  

Old 07-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #165
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Great layout Don, I like the table design, is it free standing or on a rv center post? I'm putting the same front layout in the 68, and working on a free standing table that can go outside when needed. We will be down in Medford the end of Aug for a wedding so I'll volunteer Glenn's help, if you needed it, for a day. We should be done with the 68 so he may be bored.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #166
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Teresa, We'd love to see you when you are in Medford. Do you know the dates. How about a PM with details. If it's during the 10,11,12, 13 it's the Siskiyou Golden Fair. One of the last real local county fairs. It's almost like being in the Fifties again.
Keep us posted.
Don
Old 07-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #167
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Teresa & Glenn,
It will be great to see you both! Hopefully by the time you get here Don will be back working on the house! We still have scaffolding up, but at least it is on a different side than when you were here last.

As to the table... I don't think we have decided completely. We want to have the ability to turn the dinette area into a bed if we need to, so it may have a removable post or something.... I hate having a hole in the floor... or a big mounted thingy to trip on... right now it is hoping to get the shell back on before winter! The bad news is Don wants my Bambi to sit outside in the cold and put the FC in the garage so he can work on it in the winter. Hummmmm....

In the layout we are thinking we will make the hard to get at areas (like the corners...) accessible similar to boats so we can use the storage space better. This trailer seems so BIG!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Don and Claudia.. I almost forgot that you guys are in Eugene... is this your kids place, correct? We might be traveling through by car (sans trailer) either on the way or back up from CA soon... are you close to I 5? I'd love to say "hi!" and peak at your work...
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Marc,

WEll.... we are in Yreka... right off I-5. Our kids were in Grants Pass.... great job offer our daughter couldn't refuse.... now they are in Seoul, Korea! But, if you come down this far stop by! We have power and water and freebie parking in our driveway or out front. Always welcome! We are like 2 blocks from the freeway. Very easy to find! I will send you a PM and give you directions in case you might drop by! We also have a guest room with a double bed and bath if you need a place to crash. Got a couple roll away beds if you have kiddos with you. Our guest area is stuffed full of "stuff" but we have enough room to maneuver... :P

Drive safely. Hope you aren't coming down to CA too soon ~ we are in a real heat wave. 15 degrees above normal. Icky... lots of triple digit days. Even if you can't stay over, stop by for a cold drink and look at the project.... beware, however, Don may hand you a rivet gun or something!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #170
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
Some of you may remember that when we bought our 55, it was pretty much gutted. We have studies and looked at other 55's. We also studied all the wall markings to come up with a Floor plan. This is the Final Floor Plan. That is until we actually start building parts. But I'm sure this is close to what it will be. One picture here shows how we took all the thinks like toilet, sink, water heater,etc. and placed them on the floor and began drawing the plan on the 55 floor. We made several changes from the original plan listed earlier. This also helped me plan for plumbing and holding tanks. Hope you find this of some interest.
Don
Don, I've been following your thread with interest for a while and look forward to your updates. We are planning to start digging into our own ball of wax this Fall and I've learned a lot reading this and many of the other major restoration threads recommended by Marcus and others forum members. I like the floor plan you've come up with. We are not making floor plan changes, but are headed for a full shell-off restoration, so I've been especially interested in the early mechanical work (frame modifications/repairs, axle installations, tank additions, etc.) like what you are currently doing. Please keep up with the interesting posts. The more pictures the better.

Norm
Old 07-26-2009, 05:02 AM   #171
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
nmbosa, Thanks for the interest in my thread. Sounds like you are going to have a great trailer. I hope you start a thread for your restoration. I will want to follow your progress. If I can be of any further help, just let me know. This Forum was still fairly young when I started my Bambi resto and it was a great help. The great thing is I keep finding new information and great Airstreamers. Another great help was on the days when I wasn't sure I should have or wanted to do a restoration project, I got on the forum and it wasn't long and I couldn't wait to get out and go to work.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Don, I've been following your thread with interest for a while and look forward to your updates. We are planning to start digging into our own ball of wax this Fall and I've learned a lot reading this and many of the other major restoration threads recommended by Marcus and others forum members. I like the floor plan you've come up with. We are not making floor plan changes, but are headed for a full shell-off restoration, so I've been especially interested in the early mechanical work (frame modifications/repairs, axle installations, tank additions, etc.) like what you are currently doing. Please keep up with the interesting posts. The more pictures the better.

Norm
Old 07-28-2009, 06:29 AM   #172
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
New Design Renders

As you may have guessed. Besides restoring trailers and things, I really enjoy working with 3d computer graphics. Here are 4 more rendering for the 55 Flying Cloud. I've make some small changes in the layout from the last designs. If you have nothing to do, you might compare the last two design entries and see if you can find the changes. The other reason for the new designs is I wanted to get a feel for how they worked with the shell on. So what was created is a glass shell that allows you to see into the design but still get a feeling for where the shell is located.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	55 Flying Cloud in Glass 7.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	84609   Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Flying Cloud in Glass 8.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	84610  

Name:	55 Flying Cloud in Glass 11.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	84611   Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Flying Cloud in Glass 12.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	84612  

Old 07-28-2009, 07:08 AM   #173
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I really like it Don, except now it seems that the strange dude who was occupying your trailer, has now invited over a female companion.

You really should start charging rent.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #174
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I really like it too although I haven't studied it enough to find the subtle changes. This must have been done with an update of SketchUp since it looks even more polished.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #175
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
flyfshr, thanks for the input. These examples were rendered in Kerkythea a free 3d rendering program. I've use it now for about a year. I don't always render all the SketchUp work because rendering take time. Each of these took from 2 to 3 hours to render. To get the glass shell to show well rendering was necessary. I looked again at the picture of your rig. What a beauty.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
I really like it too although I haven't studied it enough to find the subtle changes. This must have been done with an update of SketchUp since it looks even more polished.

Brad
FF
Old 07-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #176
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
utee94, I guess the change from a flat 2d guy to a 3d blond with blue eyes is not so subtle. There is a cabinet next to the stove that is one of the changes. I may be getting old, however if a pretty blond walks by, I find I don't notice anything else.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I really like it Don, except now it seems that the strange dude who was occupying your trailer, has now invited over a female companion.

You really should start charging rent.

-Marcus
Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #177
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Looks very neat. Do you have a technique for planning the weight distribution from street to curb side? Just curious.

Oh and your sketchup and rendering is the cats meow! my excuse is a lack of skill and my macbook takes a nap even before rendering...
Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #178
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I've played with Sketchup and really liked it, but it obviously takes time to develop the skill to make something that looks good, and right now all of my spare time goes into the trailer itself...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #179
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
truckasaurus, Thanks for the comment. Unfortunate my technique for working on balance is all in my head. Let's see if I put this here and then try putting this here well maybe that will work. I can make pretty pictures, but my math skill are weak.
My PC likes to die from time to time or It will spend hours rendering only to have some strange artafect and I'll have to start all over again. It's the joy of 3d computer work. Really enjoying your thread.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
Looks very neat. Do you have a technique for planning the weight distribution from street to curb side? Just curious.

Oh and your sketchup and rendering is the cats meow! my excuse is a lack of skill and my macbook takes a nap even before rendering...
Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #180
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
I really understand about time and staying on track. My wife saw an ad on Craigslist for a 14' sailboat and trailer for $400. We went and took a look. I've spent the last week working on the new boat. So many hobbies and so little time to keep them all happy.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I've played with Sketchup and really liked it, but it obviously takes time to develop the skill to make something that looks good, and right now all of my spare time goes into the trailer itself...