Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2009, 08:41 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
Here is the Holding tank and plumbing design for out 55 Flying Cloud. The trailer layout is shown in a light transparent image to show the location of all the parts. Color coding; Black for black tank, Grey for Grey water, Blue for fresh water and cold water pipes, Red for hot water heater and Hot water pipes. Please feel free to comment on the pros and cons of this design.
Thanks Don
Don, I think it looks great, other than that stranger who is walking around in your trailer...

I'm so glad you're moving forward on this project, I enjoy watching your work and am excited you have a second trailer so the rest of us can observe!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
pbearsailor, Stitch and glue sound interesting. I've not heard of that technique before. Can you give me an internet referrence to study on this technique? I Think I might try designing a modular approach to this technique so different sized tanks could be built from a set of standard mold pieces. The ability of taking the mold pieces appart also allows for good storage of the mold parts.
Thanks for the info
Don
Don, for me, the beauty of building this way is that there is no mold at all. You basically cut out plywood or perhaps foam pieces that make up the shape of your tank, wire all of them except the top together, radius the inside corners with epoxy fill, add a few layers of fiberglass cloth, so the same for the outside, and finally, bond the top on.

I've done tanks for our boat in the past and they worked fine. Most of the reference material online seems to be boat related, but the idea transfers easily enough to what we're doing in tanks. Here's a wiki article: Stitch and glue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and this one is a kayak building blog that shows the process well: Building the Pygmy Coho Kayak

For me, it's perfect for my black tank set in that back rounded corner. I can make it this way exactly the shape and size I want and make my fittings go where I want and install them as part of the building process.

Foam core has a lot of appeal to me for the weight. Many different densities of foam available at Aircraft Spruce Foam from Aircraft Spruce for composite aircraft stuff. Thin plywood works fine too.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
What is so neat about these threads is what we learn in the process. Don's design ideas, Steve's stitch system etc. are all things we can take away for use on our own trailers and other non-Airstream related projects. Invaluable and the sharing of these ideas and techniques expands the practical knowledge of all who participate.

Thanks again folks for making the time to share your knowledge, your experiences, and the pictures that aid in my understanding of what it is you are so competently accomplishing.

Barry
Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Utee94, We are taking the strange to a couple of Airstream rallies so he can put on some weight!
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Don, I think it looks great, other than that stranger who is walking around in your trailer...

I'm so glad you're moving forward on this project, I enjoy watching your work and am excited you have a second trailer so the rest of us can observe!

-Marcus
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Safari57, These threads are neat. They were the greatest of help when I restored our 63 Bambi. I sure they be as useful with the Flying Cloud. They allready have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
What is so neat about these threads is what we learn in the process. Don's design ideas, Steve's stitch system etc. are all things we can take away for use on our own trailers and other non-Airstream related projects. Invaluable and the sharing of these ideas and techniques expands the practical knowledge of all who participate.

Thanks again folks for making the time to share your knowledge, your experiences, and the pictures that aid in my understanding of what it is you are so competently accomplishing.

Barry
Old 05-08-2009, 05:20 AM   #126
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Thumbs up stich and glue

Yes that is some great info if you have any more questions about this system go to this site and look at the message board. Shine is one cool guy that knows more about epoxys and the like than anyone I know!
www.bateau2.com I have another project that I'm working on also. 1973 Aquasport 19-6, but thats another story. You can register on this site and post your questions and get answers really quick! And talk about some cool boats, check out the XF-20 and look how skinny that boat will go!

https://55flyingcloud7909.blogspot.com
slvrlng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #127
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Hope this doen't give you chills

I made some sculpture some years ago in a similar way but used corricated cardboard instead of wood etc. It worked really well. So I'm going to use the glue and stitch method but use cardboard. I will design them similar to regular cardboard boxes and then fiberglass. For the fresh water tank I might use a rubber or plastic bladder for the inside to protect form the fiberglass taste. Similar to the way they make aircraft fuel tanks.
Don
Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #128
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
I think it would work fine, Don. My wife and I built a homebuilt airplane years ago with a foam core: foam by itself isn't very strong, but we're still here.
Maybe just particular emphasis on good layups and well sealed.

cheers,
steve

Old 05-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Foam sounds like a good idea...

Just a thought...

It occurs to me that the extra insulation provided by foam as a base for a fiberglass tank could help keep the tank contents from freezing.

Malcolm
Old 05-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Malcom, This is a good thought.
Thanks Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium View Post
Just a thought...

It occurs to me that the extra insulation provided by foam as a base for a fiberglass tank could help keep the tank contents from freezing.

Malcolm
Old 05-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I will be interested to see how this tank building develops. I still need new tanks on my unit and had thought about buying some when the time comes but might be willing to make some. I have almost zero fiberglassing experience to date though. I did use a fiberglass body repair kit to make some repairs on my AC shroud (from the inside) but that is it. Lots of details would be appreciated as the work progesses.

Thanks,

Malcolm
Old 05-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #132
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
In the garage again

Well the frame is in the garage. It's time to go to work. Here are some pics of the frame. The frame had a sag. When I put it up on three jack stands it went flat. The weight of the axle etc. was enough to pull it flat. Also a picture of where a PO cut a hole in the frame to run a shower drain through. They must of thought that the trailer would never be moved again. The stair area needs repair. I've noticed when talking to others that the right side of the step brace is what brakes most ofter. I wonder it that's because most Airstreamers are right handed and right footed. Step in with the right foot first. Just a thought. It sure is great to get started on this project.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Cloud flat.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	80354   Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Cloud step.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	80355  

Name:	55 Cloud frame garage.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	80356   Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Cloud frame 010.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	80357  

Old 05-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #133
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Well, I guess the good news is that the PO's shower drain wasn't any bigger or he would have cut the frame in two. Unbelievable, but I believe it.

cheers,
steve

Old 05-19-2009, 08:42 AM   #134
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
I bought this trailer because it was a shell and a frame with wheels. I wanted it so I could do my own thing. So I'm sure there will be lots of surprises. Besides the hole in the frame maybe there is a hole in my head.
Comments welcome!
Don
Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Frame work

The hole in the frame created by the PO has been repaired. Also the stair was strengthened and repaired. I'm pleased with the repair. When the stair is released it slides into place and locks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Iphone photos 045.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	709.2 KB
ID:	83623  
Old 07-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Clean and Paint

The frame has been cleaned and treated and painted. What a difference. It was nice to get one step completed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clean & Repaint.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	737.9 KB
ID:	83624  
Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #137
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
extensions

I'm in the process of extending the frame. The bumper was bent. I had to remove and take it to the local Machine Shop to have it straightened. So I decided to extend the frame to put one of those neat little storage compartments just inside of the bumper for storage of the stinky Slinky. I really like the idea of those storage units. I don't think they were stock in 55. Maybe someone could let me know if they were.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	welding extentions.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	769.7 KB
ID:	83625  
Old 07-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Plywood for floor

I also have cut the basic shapes for the floor. Right now I'm rebuilding the fenders. After I get them placed I'm continue on the floor. You may have noticed that I'm using a engine crane to lift and turn the frame as I work on the top and bottom. The balance is very critical. So I suggest If you try this be very careful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Laying out floor.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	667.2 KB
ID:	83628  
Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #139
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
WaHoo! Progress! Compared to the Bambi, it sure looks BIG! Hopefully by Fall the shell will be back on! It is great to see Don working on the FC, he really enjoys it!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:30 AM   #140
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Where is Rudy?

Where is Rudy? I've found the name Rudy written on the frame of our Flying Cloud in Welder's marker. My Guess is the Rudy put it there in 1955. The belly pan that was wrapped around this area was original. So the question is did Rudy work at the Airstream Factory in California in 1955? Does anyone know who he was? Is he still around? Does anyone have a picture of Rudy? Sure would like to put a picture of Rudy in the trailer after it's restored. I was in my freshman sophomore years of high school in the 55 years. Rudy where are you?