Old 10-15-2006, 07:17 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Smile Joining the every growing CLOUD mass!

Hey, to all of you 55 FC owners! I found this thread while looking up any info on the 55's. I just bought one in Fla., and haven't even picked it up yet. It's killing me, as I have to wait another 5 or 6 days before I can leave to get it.

My parents were awesome enough to drive from the east to west coast of FL to pick it up for me! (They were great!)

I will be following this thread diligently, so please keep posting. My layout is much different than I've seen in any of the archives. I even have the original DAVIS combination stove/ refer! Supposed to still work, or it did 5 years ago!

Would love to see your progress. Any info on what to look for before towing 2/3's across the US would be great. My dad put new tires on for me, before towing, and said he didn't even know it was behind him!

Old 10-15-2006, 07:44 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
fly2havefun, Congrats on the Flying Cloud. I haven't done any work on mine lately. We have been too busy going to rallys. The last two for the season are the end of this month then it's back to work. I'm real interested in the floor plan of your cloud when you get it. Mine dosen't seem to be like any other. Would like to see some pictures also.
Don

Old 10-15-2006, 08:42 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Floor plan

Thanks, Don!

When I had talked to the lady selling it on the phone, I was totally baffled. But upon seeing her e-mailed photos, it was exactly as she described.

Coming in the door going to the RIGHT toward the tongue is as follows:
Near door, Furnace, followed by a small broom closet, the unique DAVIS combination 4 burner stove/refrigerator combination, then a single sink. Under the front window are cabinets. On the street side, there is a toilet and sink only, bath area. Then on the left of that...a pantry floor to ceiling, facing the rear. Then there's a group of windows with a built in area to the left and under those. Then a closet, bed across the back, another closet and a couch facing the opposing side, that makes into a bed.

There's a panel that opens to the outside, on the left of the pantry. Supposed to be to slide an air conditioning unit in. It wasn't working, so they got rid of it. Only thing missing is the original folding table, but the lady included a very unique wooden one that pops up, that my Mom said is great! And the toilet needs replacing. Floor is soft under that area, and a small section by the door. (Of course I will definitely inspect more, when I get there.)

It is supposed to be in great shape. Even has the original baby moons, but one is totally rusted. My folks picked it up from the Tampa area and said there are no dents in the skin at all. Just a couple superficial scratches. I'm so excited to get this, that I can't stand it!!!

I have to wait till Friday to go get it. My husband is buried in work, so I'll be leaving Carbondale to go through Durango to pick up a dear friend of mine, who's husband trusts me to take good care of her! And no...we're not quite as bad as Thelma and Louise!

Even though my parents don't understand my fascination with the vintage units, they were really impressed! The photos I was sent are really nice. Just needs some TLC and a good polish.

Any recommendations on towing this year an A/S, would be greatly appreciated! I'll include photos if I can, after I bring it home.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:55 AM   #74
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi all ~

I'm considering a '56 FC that's for sale in Prescott. A CA made whaletail model from the year of my birth. Been following this thread with renewed interest since seeing pictures and emailing with the seller. Problem is, I don't have a space to work on it. Just a minor set back. Most of the interior is intact but will need some work. We'll see what happens.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:12 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Ok! I'm a bit jealous!

Brad!

I hope you get it... if not... PM me the details.

The whaletail model's are AWESOME! I'm WAY jealous! I wish mine were a whaletail, but I'll have to keep looking.

We don't have the space to work indoors either, but have over 4 acres. If Mike isn't careful, I'll have them all filled with Airstreams! Best wishes to you on your decision and possible purchase!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #76
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Becky ~

I'll let you know. We're off this morning to look at a Bambi here in town too. Well, its suppose to be a Bambi. Mother in Law drove by it yesterday. It would be too small for us but we're going to look at it anyway. As for space, we have only one off street parking space and it has the Trade Wind parked there. It would need to go into off site storage and I just don't know if I could do that. Four acres!! WOW!! I'd settle for a quarter of that.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
i just bought that '56 flying cloud that brad is speaking of in prescott, az. i'm going to pick it up on friday. then i can make the "formal announcement" to the forum and post some pix.

david
Old 11-01-2006, 08:21 PM   #78
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Uh - oh. Not sure I want to hear about what I passed up on. Sounded like it had possibilities. Ok, ok. Tell me all about it and post pix when you can. I'll get over it soon enough.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
i know, i know. when i read your post today i was hoping there happened to be two '56 flying clouds for sale in prescott (what are the chances of that???). i was afraid i bought the one you were referring too.

i saw it on craigslist about a month ago for 4000. it was 1000 more than i wanted to spend and i was really looking for a safari or globetrotter so i didn't follow up. BUT then i saw it on ebay three days ago with a "buy it now" price" of 3000. it was on there for about an hour when i saw it and it already had one bid. i thought the buy it now was a fair price and thought it would get snatched quickly so rather then let the auction go for six days, i clicked the "buy it now" price. This will be my first airstream and renovation project I’ll post pix this weekend.

david
Old 11-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #80
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Way to go David. Sounds like it'll have a good home. I was dreaming and I'd need to hide it here in Phoenix. Be really hard to go and work on it and hide it from the Mrs.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
FC Traveling Art Studio

Here are the current ideas on the interior of our Flying Cloud. As I've mentioned before my coal is to remodel with the idea of creating a traveling Art studio. Several people have made similar remodels. Multiple function is what I'm after. I have included a couple of diagrams to show my current thinking. Here is the idea. The rear half of the trailer would be the living space. Twin beds, wet bath, closet and overhead storage. The twin bed area could also function as a seating/visiting area. There would be sliding door on both sides of the bath/closet area. The bed and bath area could be closed off with the sliding door between the bath and the kitchen area. The idea here is so when one of use choosed to work late on a project the other can have an area to sleep. The kitchen and front area will function as an art studio when desired. The front area will have several built-ins that can be folded out for varied work spaces. It can also function as an open are for larger projects. When not being used as a studio folding chairs can be used to make it an aditional visiting or eating area. Fresh water and gray water tanks will be placed in the frame area next to the axle. I'm open to lots of comments and suggestions.
Thanks Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC Floor Plan street side..jpg
Views:	201
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	28975   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC Floor Plan curb side.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	28976  

Old 11-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Great Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
Here are the current ideas on the interior of our Flying Cloud. As I've mentioned before my coal is to remodel with the idea of creating a traveling Art studio. Several people have made similar remodels. Multiple function is what I'm after. I have included a couple of diagrams to show my current thinking. Here is the idea. The rear half of the trailer would be the living space. Twin beds, wet bath, closet and overhead storage. The twin bed area could also function as a seating/visiting area. There would be sliding door on both sides of the bath/closet area. The bed and bath area could be closed off with the sliding door between the bath and the kitchen area. The idea here is so when one of use choosed to work late on a project the other can have an area to sleep. The kitchen and front area will function as an art studio when desired. The front area will have several built-ins that can be folded out for varied work spaces. It can also function as an open are for larger projects. When not being used as a studio folding chairs can be used to make it an aditional visiting or eating area. Fresh water and gray water tanks will be placed in the frame area next to the axle. I'm open to lots of comments and suggestions.
Thanks Don
Thanks, love the graphics. You are a role model. JC Ferguson and UWE are in your league.
Yes, the placement of the fresh, grey and black tanks are critical in relation to the axle. Barry had quite a crash with his Spartan due to improper weight placement and hitch issues. InlandRV has also noted the importance of tank placement. That is a serious set of calculations in my opinion.
The placement of the bath and kitchen on the same side for plumbing efficiency is sweet. What are your plans for water heater?
Do you plan A/C? The latest house a/c's are so light and efficient and have upward venting, like Uwe's. Or will you use a roof mount? Power vents?
Great work.
Robert
Old 11-24-2006, 07:09 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Akron Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by S C Streamer
For everybody not familar with Moffet Field USN , in Mountain View CA.

Attachment 25467Attachment 25468
Akron Ohio has one like it too! I actually grew up near there (Ravenna Ohio) and saw big blimps flying in the 50's... Still garages the Goodyear blimps, but they are tiny compared to the WWII types. The one in Akron is supposedly the largest in the world, and it has it's own weather inside! It can actually rain inside if there is enough humidity. If I remember correctly the one in N.C. was built of plywood because of the war shortages... and it burned in the 80's.

Paula Ford
Old 11-26-2006, 10:04 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
fastrob, wow thanks for the great comments. Now I really have something to live up to. The hot water will go under the sink in the original position. Yes, I plan on using on of the small home type AC's. Haven't decided where to put it yet. Weight and balance is very important. I've had my interesting experiences with pulling trailer years ago. I've seem a couple of threads where this is discussed. I need to look them up again. I've just finished a design for a fold out table. I'll include the images in a further post. It's been pretty cold here, so I'm working on inside projects.
Don