Old 02-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #253
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Don, Fun to watch the design process, My only thought is making the bath a tad larger, moving the sink to the inside corner by the door, toilet on the outside wall. You can then curtain off the sink area to keep dry, towels etc. can then go under sink. It will also make an automatic toilet cleaner or a seat when you take a shower. As I always say everything in your Airstream should have 2 purposes.
Note, Glenn just finished putting in new pan for black tank, lucky we didn't leave it and belly pan on I-5. only thing holding black tank was neck of tank, New axels too Yea!

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #254
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Thanks for the ideas. The black tank. Airstreaming can be such fun! We had quite a bumper experience on our way back from Mexico. This is a campfire story.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
Don, Fun to watch the design process, My only thought is making the bath a tad larger, moving the sink to the inside corner by the door, toilet on the outside wall. You can then curtain off the sink area to keep dry, towels etc. can then go under sink. It will also make an automatic toilet cleaner or a seat when you take a shower. As I always say everything in your Airstream should have 2 purposes.
Note, Glenn just finished putting in new pan for black tank, lucky we didn't leave it and belly pan on I-5. only thing holding black tank was neck of tank, New axels too Yea!

NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #255
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
fingerprinting

I took the front inside end cap off today and on the inside of the outside end cap are some great finger and hand prints. My guess it was a hot sweaty day in LA back in 1955 when this trailer was built. I'd like to see if I could get a good record of these prints to put in my restoration book. Anybody have good ideas on how to lift old prints off of aluminum? You may remember that I had mentioned in an earlier post the "Rudy" had signed his name to the frame of this trailer.
Don
Old 02-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #256
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Sink and faucet...

I found a neat little stainless steel sink at the following place which happens to be local to me but they do a lot of Internet business.

RV PARTS OUTLET

I think it was the specific sink in the above link. The faucet was an in stock item at Home Depot that I thought was pretty neat and it was not all that expensive either. It comes with a couple of different bases. The drain I had to buy seperately since the one that came with the faucet would not fit. I found it at Home Depot in the area where they have bar sinks - which was separate from most of the faucets and drains.

In the front view photo below you can see the single lever shower faucet mounted on the wall under the sink. I have not yet hooked up the fresh water lines but my drain lines are all in place.

In case you are wondering the counter top is a re-issue of an original Formica pattern. I bought it locally but might have paid more than I needed to. You can order this pattern in 4 different colors at home depot. The really nifty polished aluminum counter edging I found at Outwater Plastics. Check out the following link:

Outwater Plastics - 2009 Master Catalog - page 20

The type I bought was ALU777-P

The one thing that was a little awkward ordering something like this was I had to have it cut down to no more than 8' per piece. That worked out OK though. Since then I found a place locally where I could have bought almost the same thing. I could not find anywhere that carried it locally before ordering though.

Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior_122609 006.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	96991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior_122609 005.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	96992  

Name:	Interior_122609 007.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	96993  
Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #257
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
My shower...

I am not yet entirely done with my shower but what I am doing is to use hollow core doors for most of my wall partitions. For the shower I glued the white bumpy plastic panels available at Home Depot to the surfaces of the doors with contact cement. The same kind as I used for gluing down my Formica counter tops. The curved piece that follows the contour of the wall actually floats off the wall a little. It is glued to the edges of the panels on each side. One of the photos shows how I held that panel in place while the glue set up. It would have been easier to glue up the whole assembly and then slide it into place I think. The one thing that I still have to do is carefully caulk the seams of the plastic. The jury is out on exactly which product I will use for that. All of the joints are tightly held together so the caulk will just be sealing the cracks. By the way the panel on the sink side of the shower is actually plywood because I wanted something thinner there that was a little stronger for mounting the shower faucet. Also I was able to reuse the original aluminum extrusion that was in that same location on my original shower. The shower head will be on a flexible tube and hung on a hook on the wall. By the way the doors are luan which I intend to finish a bit redish to enhance the mahogany look. The one panel at the right side of the shower does not yet have the plastic attached and I think is just sitting in place there now. I can see a little light coming through the crack at the joint.

Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Interior_120709 001.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	96994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior_120709 002.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	96995  

Name:	Interior_120709 007.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	96996  
Old 02-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #258
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
I like this a lot. Thanks for the pictures. What did you do to solve the problem of possible leaks down the road?
Don
I am also concerned of possible leaks but this is definately better sealed than what was there. I used the original shower pan which (except the drain) is one piece up to about 2 feet from the floor. I reinforced the corners with glas since those seem to go first when it starts cracking. The shower walls are 4 pieces (one for each side) and overlap the shower pan by 2 inches. I then sealed the corners and screws with plastic caps with silicone. Bending the plastic sheet on the curved wall was tricky to keep it in one piece because it goes around the heat duct.

The original walls were just painted paneling on one side and wallpaper over paneling on the others and were not very sturdy. It looked like the PO had used tons of silicone to keep those sealed as they shifted in and out of the bracing. When I first started taking it apart, the shower pan looked like it had settled toward the curved wall making the seat area hold water. I solidly shimmed underneath the base and the seat to angle it for runoff.

In the original design, there was also a number of seams that weren't needed. Where the walls met the pan and each other, there was wide aluminum trim with the plastic inserts all cut up to go around the seat, etc. These were sealed with silicone top and bottoms and even in the plastic insert area tops and bottoms. Then the curved back wall had 2 extra pieces of aluminum to go around the heat duct and they were additional flat ledges that would hold water. 4 horiz. crosses of trim on the back wall to seal all of those pieces, each with 4 passes of silicone to seal. It was a mess.

I think having minimal seams will help keep the water in but will watch the silicone areas closely.

Below is the only shot I have of the original shower area. You can see the ends of the 2 additional panels that were put on the back wall creating some odd angles:
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #259
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Great

This is a collection of great information. Please keep the info and ideas coming. I'm going to throw in an other idea for your reactions. How about a bath section built out of aluminum sheets only? They have make boats out of aluminum. The trailers are build out of aluminum. and if sealed properly, they work pretty well. Sea planes have been made of aluminum sheeting. Maybe some other classic trailer brands had aluminum bath units. I don't know. Anyone out there have ideas or comments? One thing about an aluminum unit, it would flex with the trailer as a unit.
Don
Old 02-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #260
_

. , .
hi don

i've seen many made with stainless steel sheeting.

while i agree LEAKs are a major concern even a fiberglass unit can leak if it cracks...

or the fixtures/pipes fail.

both things have happened to the "leakproof" 2 piece fiberglass enclosure in my unit.

the new safaris (sports) are made with a 2-3 piece molded shower stall.

looks like fiberglass but it's some sort of high tech plastic, so it's lighter and more flexible.

the key elements seem to be a solid/reliable PAN and walls that are layered INSIDE the pan such that water is channeled inside.

the stainless steel pans and walls do give a vintage/industrial look but are COLD to touch.

the stuff in bowman's pix looks very much like the newer units.

now about that lavatory layout...

why isn't the shower more forward, over the wheel well?

is the crapper tank HOLE directly under your toilet location in that sketch?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #261
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
2air, Thanks these are great thoughts. The shower location is partly because of the placement of the stove and the sink. This is because of the original location for the stove vent in the side of the trailer. There are also some interesting holes that have been cut in the shell by the PO. I'm planning to have the crapper drop directly down into the holding tank. This is how it works on the Bambi. And that seems to be a good feature. Good thought about the metal being cold. It sure could be a wake--up in the morning.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #262
_

. , .
ok don just to EASE my confusions...

1. is this gonna be a 3 tank trailer?
2. are the tanks sizes determined yet?
3. are the tank locations sorted out?
4. will the tanks be 'custom built' or off the shelf ready mades with predetermined HOLEZ?
5. will THAT pooper location really work out?
6. by that i mean are the frame rails/outriggers spaced such that the straight SHOOT for the crapper fits right there?

i hate to be stuck at the basics or early detail stage but, don't see any mention of these things yet.

perhaps this has all be worked out and just not posted yet?

and going back 1 last time, to an earlier question, is this really a WET BATH or not?

imv ceiling holes are easy to patch or redirect pipes/vents toward...

but floor holes take COMMITMENT and are hard to alter later.

so the interior design and placement of many fixtures seems to flow FROM those foundation decisions...

one last question in this round...

do you have a copy of the ORIGINAL floorplan anywhere?

have u got a sketch up of that original layout?

later gator
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #263
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
If I remember correctly.. and I may not.. , Don was working on building his own tanks... how many, I don't know.
Marc
Old 02-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #264
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Another question

How is the door in the back of a 55 Flying Cloud mounted. The back of the trailer I am restoring had quite a bit of damage in the back. I have the back "trunk" door but I don't know how it was attached when stock. I know it folded down because there is a key lock in the top of the door. Some pictures would be of great help.
Thanks Don
Old 02-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #265
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
2air, I'm working on measurement and layout ideas for the plumbing now. I plan on building my own tanks. I'm trying to work a plan where I can keep everything within the 4" of the original frame. Not sure I can make that work. Thanks for the list I need to try and keep all things in mind. The Bambi was easy by comparrison because I had everything from the original.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
ok don just to EASE my confusions...

1. is this gonna be a 3 tank trailer?
2. are the tanks sizes determined yet?
3. are the tank locations sorted out?
4. will the tanks be 'custom built' or off the shelf ready mades with predetermined HOLEZ?
5. will THAT pooper location really work out?
6. by that i mean are the frame rails/outriggers spaced such that the straight SHOOT for the crapper fits right there?

i hate to be stuck at the basics or early detail stage but, don't see any mention of these things yet.

perhaps this has all be worked out and just not posted yet?

and going back 1 last time, to an earlier question, is this really a WET BATH or not?

imv ceiling holes are easy to patch or redirect pipes/vents toward...

but floor holes take COMMITMENT and are hard to alter later.

so the interior design and placement of many fixtures seems to flow FROM those foundation decisions...

one last question in this round...

do you have a copy of the ORIGINAL floorplan anywhere?

have u got a sketch up of that original layout?

later gator
2air'
Old 02-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #266
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Here two drawings of the black and gray plumbing drain and storage unit design for our 55 Flying Cloud. The Bath Unit that I showed in an earlier post has room for the gray water pipe form the sink to run to the gray tank. The vent pipes for both the gray and black tanks run inside the walls of this unit also. Please feel free to comment.
Thanks Don
I also need some pictures from someone on how the door in the back of these trailers is attached. I have the door. There is no clear sign of how to attach.
Thanks Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	55 Flying Cloud Drain Plumbint.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	97153   Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Flying Cloud Drain Plumbing btm.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	97154