Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
The Hamilton Express

1971 27' Overlander
Chicago , Illinois
2mm vs 4mm vinyl plank flooring

I'm going to lay down some new vinyl floor planks on my soon-to-be-repaired subfloor. Anyone have an opinion on 2mm vs 4mm vinyl floor planks? Obviously the 4mm is heavier. Should I be concerned about a few mm?

Follow the remodel journey: https://hamexpress.blogspot.com/
adamfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
adamfried,

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your question, but I was considering the Allure Plank vinyl flooring and thinking thicker would be better. As I read the manufacturer's information, I noted the flooring is specifically not recommended for RV use. I got the impression, it didn't do well during very cold storage periods. I'm guessing the overlap glue joints are the issue, but don't know for sure. So, I'm just tagging in on your thread to follow the discussion and see if anyone has used this type of flooring and what the results were.

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
We put vinyl plank flooring in a couple of units as a test. We went out to check them on Monday and both have gaps where they have shrunk in the cold. We brought one into the shop overnight and it did not go back to the original dimension.

We were able to loosen some cabinets and close up the gaps but we are not sure if it is a one time issue or if it will be an ongoing problem.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
When I did the floor on my 97 Safari, I used a vinyl flooring product from Gerflor called Texline. It proved to be supurb. It is available in numerous colours, no seams, and no problems with expansion and contractions. Google Texline vinyl flooring. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I would go with a snap together vs stick together type of flooring. The stuff in the big box stores is for residential use and can't take the extreme temperatures of RV use.

Jim is Texline is a sheet vinyl? Did you trim around cabinets and secure the edges somehow?

Most new SOBs advertise coming with Beauflor, a sheet vinyl that is glued down on the whole subfloor before cabinets are installed.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I would go with a snap together vs stick together type of flooring. The stuff in the big box stores is for residential use and can't take the extreme temperatures of RV use.

Jim is Texline is a sheet vinyl? Did you trim around cabinets and secure the edges somehow?

Most new SOBs advertise coming with Beauflor, a sheet vinyl that is glued down on the whole subfloor before cabinets are installed.

Kelvin

Kelvin,
The Texline that I used was a sheet vinyl that resembled planking but with the benefit of easier installation and maintenance. It was a one piece float install with no adhesive and finished off with mouldings around the various cabinets. I did make a brown paper template and then trimmed the vinyl with a box cutter. I can't recall if an 1/8 " thick underlay was attached to the vinyl or if I installed it separately, or if I installed it at all. I did not remove all the initial carpeting under the various cabinets and fixtures since it was just a retrofit but the carpet remaining was all normally out of site. We were exceptionally pleased with the outcome. The carpet, although appearing nice, was a real bear to keep clean. We were later astonished to discover the amount of stuff that showed up on the vinyl that previously had been absorbed into the carpet. A few seconds with a broom and a wipe and the flooring looked brand new. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #7

1969 29' Ambassador
Fargo , North Dakota
I have used the Allure product and it does not stand up to cold conditions. You experience separation.
billybucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #8
Hail on wheels

1992 25' Excella
Little Elm , Texas
I used a vinyl strip that sticks to each other. rather than the floor. Bought it at lowes. It looks great. Stands up. But, it has moved and caused a few areas where it has larger seams. Probably the installer, me! I would recommend. Love this over the carpet I removed
Old 01-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
cramar

1992 25' Excella
Leamington , Ontario
When I installed ours it was in 80° temp and I had no gaps. But when the temperature dropped to freezing a 1/4" gap opened up in front of the fridge. When the interior temperature rose again due to heating, the gap closed. Now that it is well below freezing, I hate to see what the gap is, and hope it will again close when the temperatures get to normal. My concern is that at 95°, the floor might buckle. Seems that household vinyl flooring is very prone to expand and contract with temp. The other problem is that it is extremely heavy, a lot more than the old carpet. But if it expands to normal, I will have no regrets and would use it again.
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I replaced my carpet with a 2mm vinyl plank from Lowes. It was installed after a meticulous cleaning and staple/tack strip removal and painting the floor with primer.
After finding the centerline and snapping a chalk line, the vinyl was placed. Everything that I could remove, I did. As I worked my way to the back I used a pry bar to gently lift while the vinyl was slid under the object.
It looks great and withstands the fine white gravel chips that get caught in my shoe treads.
So far it has proven to be very durable and easy to maintain.
With that said, Vinyl plank flooring is not dimensionally stable. I put mine down on a warm summer day. When the weather cooled, the planks contracted ever so slightly especially in the long axis, leaving a tiny gap <1/16. Not enough to make me loose sleep, but some people would absolutely freak out. My intentions were to get rid of the carpet, and put down a surface that would be:
1. Easy to maintain, and easy to look at.
2. Durable
3. Inexpensive
4. Light Weight.
I was going to go with a premium wood laminate, but when I figured the weight, Vinyl became the choice.
Im not sure that there is any real benefit of 4mm over 2mm. In my case I will use carpet runners and an area rug up front.
I do not know if there would or would not be any greater dimensional changes with temperature fluctuations in the 4mm thickness over the 2mm.
Like I said, the very small gap is no big deal.
I will know next summer what the outcome is.
So far, I am satisfied with the 2mm.
Your floor will look great no matter the thickness. Have fun with it!
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Here are some photos of the reno we did in 2005 to the 1997 Safari. In addition to the floor, which was the Texline material, we also replaced the fabric on the couch and valances. The floor was easier to look after than the flooring in the my 2012 signature. Note the moulding that holds it in place. No issues on a temp range from -30 to + 100 degrees f. JimClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421346251.587049.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	230479Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421346266.352267.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	230480Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421346280.453052.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	230481Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421346306.991198.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	230482

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
I replaced my carpet with a 2mm vinyl plank from Lowes.
What was the brand and model? Did the planks physically lock together or did they use adhesive tabs?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #13
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Hi Kelvin,
Here is what I installed in my Sovereign.
It's called Style Selections 48-in by 6-in Antique Woodland Oak Vinyl Plank. They are currently priced at 2.36 each. The SKU number is 399147.
I bought enough to cover the floor and a few inches under the installed stuff and thetford removed. I was able to use a couple of pry bars to get it under so it looked a bit more finished. They are directional and are self adhesive.
I was able to replace the flooring project for well less than 180.00. There are more expensive vinyls to choose from but with the reviews and sales associate who stated that someone else in my area with an AS used the same material. That was good enough for me. I do believe that this summer it will expand a bit, but that's ok. Right now it looks like any other real wood plank, and the imperfections add to its character. It is smoooooth underfoot. Im Happy with it. You can see mine on the registry. Sorry for the 2MP resolution. Pictures taken from my phone. If you want to see a higher res of what Im talking about, let me know.
Clayton
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote