Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Richmond , 1704 Altamaont Ave
25' 1979 Trade winds / Frame / Subfloor Restoration

We recently purchased a 1979 Tradewinds 25’

The previous owner did some poking around the trailer and found that the rear section of the unit is severely rotted out. This is the area where old bathroom was.

I am trying to strategize an on the frame repair for this and was wondering if anyone had suggestions. I was thinking would do the following:

· Remove Subfloor in rear area
· Remove all tanks / wires
· Jack tandem wheels up on blocks to get underneath rear section
· Remove bottom skin
· Support rear portion of shell
· Cut out bad steel sections and replace

Also the subfloor is in ok shape… was wondering about installing a ¼” or 3/8” subfloor adhesived to the existing. Is this a bad idea weight wise? I am concerned about pulling the existing floor and leaving the bottom track of the wall hanging? It seems like replacing section by section would be really time consuming / structurally weak?

Looking forward to hearing comments.
510_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
floor rot in rear

Pull the banana wraps off. It will give you a good look at the front and rear sections. if the floor is rotten usually the frame has some issues also. Check for rear end separation-stand on back of bumper if there is a 1/2 inch gap or more between frame and bottom of trailer you have a problem. No fear it can be fixed. Post some pics. The fun is just starting.....
rugjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Thanks I will pull off the banna wraps this weekend.

The rotted floor is only in one or two small areas up form so i may do some test cutting.

I am pretty sure we have acase of rear end seperation. We own a metal fabrication shop, so ia m not concerend about the reapirs I am more concerend about where I need to remove the wood floor to do the proper fix. Will post photos over the weekend.

JW
510_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
We had a chance to kick our renovation off this weekend of our 79’ 25’ tradewind.

Per one of the forums recommendations I pulled off both of the rear banana fenders and found pretty much what we thought we’d find. We have really severe rotting of the main channels from about 1’-2’ past the wheel wells on. My thoughts are going forward:

· I removed the subfloor along the main beam back far enough into good material
· Supported the shell at (2) points and am going to support at the back rear once we start demoing the steel.
· Was going to repair the frame by cutting of the original main channel and fitting a new one with the old for several feet then welding on / replacing all the old rotted parts.
o We deal with a local metal distributor where we can get most metal shapes, but am afraid it will be too heavy. Is there a source to by the light gauge members for replacement. Does anyone have pics of this type of replacement?
· Once we have the structural work complete, re-install tanks / fabricate new belly ban under bath drops down and reinstall skins.

Does this sound like a good idea? Also when I pulled up the subfloor between the wheel wells there was a slight bit of rust on the tops of the structural members / also stained the bottom of the subfloor. I tapped it with my hammer all the way down and it feels like it is very surface. I really do not want to start ripping up more floor and or take the shell completely off. Any recommendations? I am guessing at some point it got wet and dried unlike the rear that definitely had a major leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Post2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	170219   Click image for larger version

Name:	post3.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	170220  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg