Old 12-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
2003 22' International CCD
Tacoma , United States
Unhappy 2003 22 foot International AS wet floor problem

Hello. I had a rat living in my AS this summer and so I am trying to clean up the mess. He/she liked to reside under the sink in the rear just above the black tank. I pulled out the drawer and see stained carpet under the sink. I pulled that out and found very wet OSB that was falling apart. As I started removing that, the wet spot went under the toilet/shower area to the point that it became hard to reach. There must have been some other water source based on the amount of wet OSB. I'm thinking the only option is now to perhaps try to remove the black tank and work this problem from the bottom. I read some of the other posts where I'd need to disconnect the toilet, the sensors (not sure where they are), and the discharge plumbing. The bottom of my AS is this heavy black plastic material. Any advice from others who may have dropped the black tank or dealt with such a problem? Thanks!

2003AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Oh boy. Bearer of bad news here - the cheapass OSB is just the start of problems on this model. Starting in 2006-2007 the factory did a better job of sealing around critical areas like the rear bumper, before then it was a sad to not how many 3-5 year old Airstreams needed partial floor replacements. The 22 international of that era is a fantastic layout but the weak frame and OSB floor - yikes. At a minimum you need to inspect the WHOLE floor perimeter from above with a moisture meter, then check the frame from underneath. I don't think the 2003 HAD a metal belly pan, or much insulation for that matter. Sorry I can't advise you about that, but you might look for how the plastic is attached and carefully remove it so that it can be replaced.

Here are a few links:
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is online now   Reply With Quote