Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Conroe , Texas
20' Argosy floor rotten

Opened a floor today because we had few inches hole, so just in case I cut a "bigger" piece out. I noticed of the side of the "steps" has a factory "slide cut " where the latch is sliding out for the steps. so in that place wasp came in and built nests .

Also it was full of mud , and wet stuff... My question is it was covered originally?

Here is the rest of the parts:

To avoid the head ache to replace a whole of piece plywood , I just will replace a "half" size section , it is easier to slide under the wall .
Looking to put in a Marine grade plywood, and didn't look up yet what insulation I suppose to use .. ?
a_magyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Conroe , Texas
So anybody knows how to fix that factory "whole" on the side? bugs, wasp, water or mud from a tire can come in freely to under the floor, what am I missing here?

Inside Left:

outside right:

outside left side:

Old 09-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I have replaced those step outriggers with boxed in steel and cut the slide in one side. That way nothing can get past into the trailer floor but may build up in the boxed piece. No real good answer. I would not put any insulation back in. You saw how good is was there.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Conroe , Texas
Ok, so I measured , and found out my floor was 5/8". I removed the whole section where was the door, water pump, and water tank.So I have a nice cleaned up hole now I did a research around Houston and the only place right now is selling 1/2" not 5/8 water treated plywood is the Home Depot, Lowes. I didn't check with Marine stores... Any idea ? Can I just go with 1/2" than and maybe put something underneath to make it level with the 5/8?
I will put tiles down anyway ( made from linoleum ) .
Old 10-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Conroe , Texas
Just found a store on
2600 Commerce St.

Houston, TX 77003

If anybody else interested in treated 5/8 " plywood. 1 sheet around $24