Old 06-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
2 Piece Sub Flooring Idea

I have to replace a section of flooring in my 1993 25 foot AS Excella TT. It is in the rear where the twin beds are. The flooring inserts into a C channel along the perimeter of the trailer. The flooring is about 3/4 inch thick and about one inch at the edges of the plywood are shaved down to about a 1/2 inch to fit into the C channels.

My idea is: Lay 1/2 inch plywood around the area so that it can easily slip into the C channel. This would consist of three cut pieces. Then use 1/4 inch plywood with lots of glue and place over the 1/2 inch plywood and cut it so the seams from the original pieces are covered over.

WOUld structual integrity be compromised in doing this? I don't think so, but want to make sure.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
i have done several multi piece floor repairs. Properly done they are fine. A search should come up with several threads . Here is one
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...oor-117843.htm

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronguy View Post
I have to replace a section of flooring in my 1993 25 foot AS Excella TT. It is in the rear where the twin beds are. The flooring inserts into a C channel along the perimeter of the trailer. The flooring is about 3/4 inch thick and about one inch at the edges of the plywood are shaved down to about a 1/2 inch to fit into the C channels.

My idea is: Lay 1/2 inch plywood around the area so that it can easily slip into the C channel. This would consist of three cut pieces. Then use 1/4 inch plywood with lots of glue and place over the 1/2 inch plywood and cut it so the seams from the original pieces are covered over.

WOUld structual integrity be compromised in doing this? I don't think so, but want to make sure.
The difference between FACT and OPINION.... isn't dangerous unless an opinion is masquerading as a fact. So here's my educated opinion.

Would you try to construct a teeter-totter with that method and then want to be sitting on either end high in the air? On the other end is your bratty big brother bouncing your fanny high in the air as the planking flexes.

How strong a glue joint can you make between the layers?
Compared to the glue joint between layers of 3/4' plywood?
How much compression can you put on top of the 1/4 inch plywood?
... without bending or breaking the frame (brace the whole frame?)

Is there a way to make the bottom three pieces interlock? Think of the anti-fatigue mats or kids play mats the come in about 1 foot squares with an edge that is almost a dovetail joint.
OK, here's a revolutionary (or revolting) idea. Why not just use 3/4 plywood, route it down to fit under the C-channel and dovetail two pieces together along the centerline of the trailer front to back. Of course you couldn't dovetail the last 2 or three inches, but maybe a glue on brace on the underside for that? And while you're at it a couple of other braces between the crossmembers.
Would adding screws through all he layers help? Too many might create a crack line. And.... don't screw into one of the holding tanks!

A long time ago (2004-2006) I saw a post from a user who put in a 2 piece floor but cut the center line at such an acute angle that the pieces overlapped for several inches. Memory is not too clear, but he used a lot of glue or maybe fiberglass and resin over the top, too.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
i have done several multi piece floor repairs. Properly done they are fine. A search should come up with several threads . Here is one
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...oor-117843.htm
Thread does not work!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Let's try a link again.

On re reading your post i am not comfortable with your approach. While I have done 2 or more piece repairs, and they have stood the test of time, I was able to get the pieces into the c channel. Some of the posts in the thread, if the link works, explain the approach.
Paula makes some good points, however there are joints in the AS floor every 4 ft. . I suspect my joints are stronger than the ones AS makes over a crossbrace
Link, maybe

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...or-117843.html

The link below will show some poor pictures of what I did

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...as%20floor.pdf
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote