Old 08-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Just a thought, but I am replacing some of the flooring in my 73 and came by some fire rated epoxy plywood. When you think of the possibility of the occasional water leak (well we all know old Airstreams never leak ) this stuff may be a good investment. I have had some large scrap pieces I left outside, directly on the ground and often flooded (when it rains in TX) and not so much as a hint of de-lamination or rot. Be nice to just do this task one time.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpray
Just a thought, but I am replacing some of the flooring in my 73 and came by some fire rated epoxy plywood. When you think of the possibility of the occasional water leak (well we all know old Airstreams never leak ) this stuff may be a good investment. I have had some large scrap pieces I left outside, directly on the ground and often flooded (when it rains in TX) and not so much as a hint of de-lamination or rot. Be nice to just do this task one time.
Man, I'd be all over that one. If you've got it, or can get it affordably. Do it!

Old 08-14-2011, 01:59 AM   #17
P&K
2 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
Ok. I know I'm being a total slacker with the pics, but I promise they are coming. We have the shell off, trailer out, floor off, and belly pan off. I will order replacement outriggers tomorrow. The trailer is sitting in my dads shop waiting to be worked on this week.

Any thoughts on strengthening the frame? The frame appears to be bent (wavy up and down, not side to side), but it's hard to judge since the whole thing is floppy without the plywood or shell attached. The main frame rails are cracked and sagging about where the rear bath starts, so they will for sure be getting the treatment. The welders suggested "boxing in the frame" like they do on old cars, but I realize this is not a car and that different principals apply. It seems to me that if the suspension is doing its job well that a stiff frame would not be a bad thing.

I'm also looking for suggestions on where to get some axles around Austin or Dallas. I would like to pick them up to avoid shipping charges.

I'm feeling stuck on the fresh water tank. The tank that is in there is original. It doesn't smell or look funny. It feels pliable and doesn't appear to be cracked, but how long can that puppy last? It just feels like while I'm in here I should replace it. Again, direct replacement is available, but pricey compared to similar square tanks. I doubt we will be doing much boondocking. I guess building a rectangular tank into a cabinet or piece of furniture might be a good way to go.

I'm liking the sound of this epoxy plywood. I'll check it out.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I would build a new frame. Use at minumum 2x6x11ga rectangle tube.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #19
P&K
2 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
I'm sure a new frame would be superior, but is it really necessary? Material cost is going to be pretty big compared to just patching it. It seems to me that as much as the frame relies on the floor and shell for strength, buiding a new frame might be overkill. The only real frame rot is on the very rear cross member and the outriggers.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #20
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
You can "box" in the channel like I have to strenghten weak areas of the frame
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6210240.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	137520   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6210244.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	137521  

Old 08-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #21
P&K
2 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
Pretty sure. That sucker has got to be strong now. It seems to me that this is the way to go.