Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Unhappy 1993 Excella Floor Trouble in bedroom

My wife and I have just bought our first airstream after wanting one for several years. We were so excited until I discovered that the City water connection was leaking into the bedroom under the night stand and the water was traveling around the back of the trailer all the way to the storage area. After pulling the carpet back we now see that the floor will soon need to be replaced. The leak is fixed now I just wanted to gather input on how to replace the flooring in the bedroom. The process and what must be removed to do this job. Not all the flooring is bad its from the wall maybe 2 ft in. Any advice, tips, help, and guidence will be greatly appreciated before i tear into this project.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
The exact same thing happened to my '92 and I'm going to stabilize the punky flakeboard by using epoxy thinned with xylene to make a penetrating epoxy to saturate it and after it's cured I'll overlay it with several layers of fiberglass mat using epoxy as the filler resin for strength.

Stop using that damned city water inlet because it will begin to leak again and as you've found out the water leaks inside the wall where you can't see it, seeping under the carpet with the plastic cover over it in the storage compartment.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would suggest you take a look at the rear bumper, namely the flat sheet that goes forward from the hinge and under the banana strip. That piece of metal goes into the trailer and the floor rests on it across the rear. If the seal under the banana strip has failed rain makes it's way and under the floor. This is a much more common reason for rear floor failure than the city water connection.

Yes very poor design.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
This is all too farmiliar!! Guess what just happened to me this weekend??!! Follow this two page thread here. Many 90's era Excella's are having this same water entry (inlet) problem. I guess 15-20 years is all the inlet can handle. I just ordered a new entry yesterday.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
The source of the leak was the city water connection there is no dought about that. I thought at first that the rain may had gotten in an caused the damage. I think the flooring is to far gone to try and repair with epoxy. The edges against the wall are the worst parts under the source of the leak. So has anyone attempted to remove the bedroom and replace the flooring? Can you remove the belly pan under the trailer and get a better look at the damage for underneath? Im new to this Airstream so the guys who are very experianced please dont bash me to much. Just trying to get all the knowledge I can.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yes I have repaired this problem. You have to access it from the top side. remove the bed and cabinet or cabinets in the bedroom. This will give you good access. The flooring is tucked into the C channel and to put in a replacement piece you have to get the wood out of the c channel. This is tough because the floor bolts go down through the channel and the edge of the floor material. They are tightened down to the point of collapsing the channel and making the removal a job. You will have to shave the replacement wood at these points in order to get it into the channel.

What was the nature of the leak at the city connection? One would assume any leak there and under pressure would be a Flood. Take another look at the bumper seam.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Thanks HowieE,

I notice water dripping out the end of the trailer under the storage compartment right after the city water connection had been turned on. I pulled the manual on the trailer and got an idea of how the water plumbing was run. On the city water connection side of the bedroom is where I found that the water line was run, it came into the bedroom under the night stand. Upon the first inspection everything seemed normal. But after further investagation with a flash light, I could shine the light and see where the inlet was dripping between the internal paneling and the exterioer shell. So I went to the the water connection removed the four screws holding it in and pulled it away from the trailer. The thread connection was leaking so I use thread sealent compound and thought the leak was fixed. The water was still dripping so I pulled it out again and found that on the back of the connection there are four more screws, so I pulled the connection apart and found a fault in the o-ring seal. Installed the new o-ring and now all the leaking has stopped. It was never a flooding leak but enough over a period of time that it has now caused damage. I dont know how the previous owner never saw this leak. But thats neither here nor there its my problem now. The only thing im not sure of is how the braces run in the floor. How far back do I need to cut to be able to go back in with a new sheet? Thats why I was wondering if you can remove the bottom plates and see where the braces run so that Ill know where to cut to be able to lay in the new sheet and it be supported.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Because of the C Channel you are going to have to use 2 pieces in order to get them in the channel. I would cut out what is clearly in need of replacement and then use a stick folding ruler to slide it under the flooring to find the cross bracing. I would not necessarily cut the floor back to the brace because you will have both sides only supported by half the width of the brace. I would cut back short of the brace and install a lip under the edge to drop the new piece on. If you glue and screw that lip in place that will be a strong joint and give you some room to slip the new floor into the channel. Cut the new piece 2 in. short install it and them fill that gap at the joint with a 2 in strip.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Ok seems like a good idea i see what you are saying. Thanks for the idea. After you replaced your flooring did you go back with the carpet. I was thinking maybe under the the bed side table lay tile or something and in the cargo area maybe tile it or research a sealer. Just something besides carpet. I mean why would you have carpet in a cargo area anyway. Guess that was just an easy way out for the airstream dealer lay the carpent then make the bedroom over the top. Just need some ideas that would help identify the leak sooner if it was to happen again.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
_

. , .
hi js'

much depends on HOW bad and WHERE and ply vs osb...

there are 100s of threads here with subfloor how2s.

here's a thread with visuals and an exceptionally good repair done quickly...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...oor-54952.html

u might wanna dig around the ENTIRE floor before planning.

take pics and post'em.

the entire floor/flooring goes in before ANY interior bits during original construction...

so there will be old carpet under the galley, sofa and all the storage bays.

DITCH it all and go with something else...

the interior is relatively easy to removed, section by section.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I left the carpet as originally installed in the bed room for 2 reasons. My wife did not want to get up at night on a cold floor, vinyl or wood and the carpet in the storage area keeps thing from moving around.

I replaced the carpet in the front of the trailer with Armstrong manufactured flooring. Not as a result of a leak just as an upgrade.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Thanks 2Air,

Well the leak is in the back of the trailer in the bedroom so there is no sofa or anything like that. From what I can see ill have to remove the bed and the bedside tables and the carpet to get the best view. I havent started this project yet. Im just absorbing all the info I can. Im at work now out of the country and wont start this project till the 2nd week of June. But as soon as I start it ill take pics to follow along with incase I get stumped and someone may be able to get me going again.
Thanks everyone for your information.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
_

. , .
the KNOWN leak may be at the back...

but without inspecting the rest who knows (hope for the best)

we seldom DIG under the sofa in search of these things.

the BEDROOM repair in the link above starts at about post 62.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Pictires of where the water leaked in mine

I was lucky and caught my leak before I had major floor damage. One picture inside where the water came out from under the wall. The second picture is where the water was running out of the belly pan, and on the frame. Is this what yours looks like jsmith84?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6572.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	102483   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6568.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	102484  

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Yes sir, TS

That is exactly what mine looks like inside and out. Guess Im not the only one thats having this problem. Looks like we have our work cut out for us. I always wanted an Airstream shame Im gonna have to work on it as soon as I got it. But hey little sweat and work makes it feel like its really yours I guess. Im gonna attempt to do the work myself and while im there make some mods to better suit me and the wife.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Sorry about your floor jsmith84, and do let us know how it goes. We always like pictures. I ordered a new water entry/inlet linked here in chrome. I will get everything dried out, treat the wood (with what I have not researched yet), and install the new inlet. Hopefully I am then done.

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Yea Im not so lucky. But hey after its done Ill be in good shape. I wont start the project till mid June when I get back to the States then Ill tear into it and Ill be sure to document the process.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #18
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84 View Post
But hey after its done Ill be in good shape.
Looking like you're in good shape now!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top

Looking like you're in good shape now!
Lol talk about bringing an old thread to life! Yea were in good shape now! Thanks TOP!