Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Aluminum Rookie

1974 25' Tradewind
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
1974 Tradewind back to square one....

Well it has been a long time since I have started a topic on here. We have had our 25' 1974 Tradewind for around 4 years now. We searched for years for a clean straight unit. A 25' AS is a bit of a commodity on the prairies if not across Canada. We found a unit that originally came from Nevada and was bone dry. I started working on the interior and during my renos we decided to buy a new house. Well not new, but the same vintage as our AS. We have been non stop renovating for the last 2 years and our new place was not set up for RV storage. So Our Trade wind has been in storage. We have only gone Camping once in the last two years. I have had countless arguments with my wife on keeping our AS because we have had no time for it and have harly used it in the last 4 years. She has come around lately and is on board to rebuild the Tradewind and stay on target for upgrades and improvements. The Only catch is we need to finish the house before I can move forward on the Airstream. My son is going into Grade 12 this fall and I have really wanted to do a boys camping trip before my son is done High school. we are heading out this weekend!!
I brought the AS home 2 days ago and last night wanted to fire up all the systems and make sure everything is still working. Last may we took her to Banff and everything worked great. Now, not so great... So went to fire up the plumbing system and water started shooting out from under the shower!! It did not sit on the floor for long because it was draining out of the back of the trailer.
Ladies and Gentlemen: Rear end separation and floor rot. The shooting leak is directly under the shower which will need to be removed for access. So you know what that means. I will have to gut her and start from square one. New Plumbing, Electrical, Cabinet work, Floor, and the unavoidable frame work and insulation..I had to break the news to my wife. Not so good....My Son and I are still going camping. Just no running water or sewer. We will be hauling water and digging a hole!
I was going to start Phase two with our AS by building a dinette in the front where our now deleted Gaucho was, then head to California and visit Inland RV for new axels, AC, fridge, Awning and anything else I could afford. It is cheaper to do that than ship materials to Canada. When that trip eventually happens, I think she will be an empty shell with an air Mattress..Looking forward to this weekend but my heart is heavy and I think I am getting an ulcer thinking about what is to come for our Tradewind. The project will have to start next spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0172.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	165290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	165291  

chefmardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Sounds like you have a big restoration/renovation ahead of you. At least you'll have plenty of time to plan out your steps.

We just placed our 76 back in to service after a three year mothball. New pex, water heater, converter, toilet, kitchen faucet. The list goes on...

Good luck

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Aluminum Rookie

1974 25' Tradewind
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
My silver lining is that the PO put a new converter, Furnace, Hot Water heater and Toilet in..I also have a second new converter. One of the fuses got pushed back in the converter and the PO thought it was broken so he replaced it with another new one!! I fixed the first one that was installed with the pushed back fuse still in the box in 10 mins!!
chefmardigan is offline   Reply With Quote