Old 10-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Everett , Washington
1972 Overlander Shell-off Restoration

Well, I think I've finally read all of the shell-off threads! I have started my project and currently have the interior gutted, and most of the lower interior skins off.

My question is, do I need to have the frame supported by jack stands before I go any further? It wasn't clear to me whether this needs to be done at this point in the project before I build the 2x4 bracing for the shell. Or is this only necessary before replacing interior or exterior skins?

I'm sure glad this forum exists, as it makes this type of project very doable. I will try to post pictures of my progress.......if I can figure out how.

Thanks,
Derek

Old 10-18-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Derek,

I'd love to see some pictures of your progress! Here's how to post them:

Click on reply and scroll down to bottom of text box.
Click "go advanced" add text to message window and then scroll down.
Click "Manage attachments" A separate window will pop up.
Click "browse" Then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 1024 x 1024 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 300 K. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
Click "Upload" After pics have loaded close the pop-up window
Click "submit reply" to mount the text of your message - photos will automatically appear in post.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hi Derek,

welcome and good luck for your project! A lot of work ahead, but it is most of the time fun! Most of the time...

I think you should have the Trailer pretty level before you install your bracing. You don´t want to support the shell while twisted and then pull the frame out, I guess...

Have fun!!

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

pinopolis , South Carolina
The above post is right. I just did a 1970 Globe Trotter shell off the frame and it was not to bad. I think the most inportant part is to a have a good template of the old floor, this way when the shell is put back on the new floor all the insides skin lines up.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Littleton , Colorado
Word of Incouragement

Good for you! It is great to hear of another 72 Overlander out there. Good luck and let us know how its going. What are the plans for reconstruction? Are you matching original or going for a new layout?

I am still hoping I don't have to take the shell off. Time will tell.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Everett , Washington
Thank you Mel for the picture posting tips. Thanks to everyone for all of the input and encouragement.

The interior layout will be new as I need to accomodate 6 small children. I will be relocating the bath to the street side, and placing a full-width bed in the back with either two side bunk above, or one full-width bunk above.

I will relocate the black water tank, and add a grey tank. There will also be a wrap-around bench and table up front. I'm looking forward to getting to that part of the project. Normally, I wouldn't mind all the frame and shell work, but I'm forced to do it outside with wet Northwest weather approaching quickly.

Derek
Old 10-18-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
A rainy NW hello!

Hi Derek! You describe almost exactly what I'd like to do with our 26ft Argosy. We too have been thinking about making a rear bathroom with a rear/side bath (like the 22ft CCD but not wet), and front seating arrangements like the 25ft CCD.... I'm still not sure about all the measurements though.

We're here in the Seattle region. If you need help, send me a PM. I'd love to lend a hand if available.
Marc
Old 10-18-2006, 10:59 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Everett , Washington
Here are a few photos showing the current status of my project. You can see the approximate location of the future bathroom. Actually, I have the lower interior skins off, but haven't taken a picture of that yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior_Before_01.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	27164Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior_Front_01_Small.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	27165Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior_Rear_01_Small.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	27166
Old 10-18-2006, 11:26 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Everett , Washington
Thanks for the offer Marc, I just might take you up on it sometime.

OK, here is what I'm planning to do next:

1. Pull trailer up on to ramps to give more working room underneath.
2. Remove banana wrap and belly skins.
3. Pull trailer off of ramps, and support the frame if necessary.
4. Attach 2x4 support bracing to shell interior.
5. Remove all rivets and bolts holding the shell on.
6. Lift shell off, and support it on support stands.

I probably won't pull the frame out from under the shell, as the shell will provide nice rain protection while I do the frame work. I'm still wondering if and when it is necessary to support the frame on jack stands.

Hopefully I will have all of this done in the next two weekends.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:24 AM   #10
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek D
I'm still wondering if and when it is necessary to support the frame on jack stands.

Hopefully I will have all of this done in the next two weekends.

I've never done a shell off restoration. However what I understand is that the frame must be kept level with jack stands when you do the shell off.

The design of this trailer is such that each component is rather flimsy on its own; the floor, shell, and frame. They are only strudy when connected together. You will find that the frame will sag under its own weight when the shell is removed.

My first suggestion is wait for someone who has done a shell off to answer you . Barring that, I'd say put jack stands everywhere to support the frame when removing and replacing the shell.

Good luck! We'll be watching
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek D
Thank you Mel for the picture posting tips. Thanks to everyone for all of the input and encouragement.

The interior layout will be new as I need to accomodate 6 small children. I will be relocating the bath to the street side, and placing a full-width bed in the back with either two side bunk above, or one full-width bunk above.

I will relocate the black water tank, and add a grey tank. There will also be a wrap-around bench and table up front. I'm looking forward to getting to that part of the project. Normally, I wouldn't mind all the frame and shell work, but I'm forced to do it outside with wet Northwest weather approaching quickly.

Derek
I will be adding a gray water tank to my 71 globetrotter maybe we can swap install info.

Kip
Old 10-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #12
Site Team

, Minnesota
Derek,

Don't worry about jack stands under the frame. You will probably end up needing to move it during the process anyway.

I would suggest that you mark the entire perimeter of the shell where it meets the floor. That will help you re-establish the correct pitch and level of the shell and frame when you put them back together.

Mark a line exactly 2" above the floor, all around the perimeter; then if you need to remove the bottom channel you will still be able to see this reference line.

Good luck on your project.