Old 05-18-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Dylan-VT 1972 27'

1972 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Boro , Vermont
1972 27' Full Floor Replacement

Hi
My Name is Dylan, Im a 21 Year Old Engineering Student from Vermont and Last Fall I bought a 1972 27' Overlander Airstream Trailer.
It was infested with carpenter ants, mice, and contained about 50 nests of various flying insects. The floor was pretty soft in the back, and it smelled really bad the carpet was gross, couches, beds, curtains all had to go.

I started pulling everything Out right away and eventually took everything out.
It spent last winter totally gutted parked on my parents land. The floor was pretty damaged in the bathroom and under the fridge, so i think i am going to have to do a whole floor replacement. The rear floor panel has been removed, and it revealed a somewhat rusty frame. I think this means i should go all the way with a shell off resto so i can check out the whole frame and get easy access to the shocks, and brakes. The insulation under the floor has tunnels from rodents, and deflated fiberglass. I don't think i wanna put fiberglass matting back in anywhere.

Since it gets pretty cold in VT and it will spend most it's time up here, i want it as insulated as possible. I'm thinking closed cell foam in the floor with expanding foam to seal all the gaps. Then Spray on Foam for the walls and ceiling. Anyone have experience with spray foam on an airstream?

Check out the Pics! (sorry i don't have any halfway pics just pre and post gutting)

In a few weeks i quit my job and am all about getting as much work done as possible before i leave town for some hiking in July, this forum looks like it has an huge amount of information to help me and I am excited to be a part of it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	757.3 KB
ID:	102869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	643.9 KB
ID:	102870  

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	704.6 KB
ID:	102871   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000118.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	354.6 KB
ID:	102872  

Name:	IMG_0132.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	672.9 KB
ID:	102873   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000119.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	102874  

Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Wow you are down to the bare bones, what a great way to ensure everything is ok before you button it back up. Many discussions are on here about the use of foam and all lean towards don't, due to the fact that the trailer flexs when moving and being aluminum expands and contracts 24 hours a day which will cause your tight fitting spray on to crack, move and eventually turn to dust. Fiberglass with backing is still the best bet, the insulation factor will not change much no matter what you use with only 2 1/2 inches to provide the barrier. I'd recommend having someone go over the wiring very closely and replace as necessary and you might as well do the whole floor since it's gutted.

Good Luck keep the photos coming as you go.

John

Old 05-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Oh and take a look at the axle threads in the forums to check if yours are ok, they look a little down from your photo.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Dylan,

You can find some information on your floor replacement issue by looking through these threads. http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...archid=1828414

Also Chris and Kay (minno) have a thread on their resto that also has some good information. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...urb-50967.html and http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...age-55897.html

Spray foam insulation also has some discussion history and here are a few posts on the subject.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/s...ighlight=spray

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/s...ighlight=spray

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ighlight=spray

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ighlight=spray

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Dylan-VT 1972 27'

1972 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Boro , Vermont
Back to work

Alright feels good to be back here.
So in the last month i finalized the leaving of my full time job and now for the next three weeks i'm going to be devoting myself to getting this Airstream floor replaced. I got plywood to replace the old floor, plus an angle grinder, and dremel tool.
I also got the Airstream towed out of the weeds, in front of the garage.

I'm in the process of dropping the rear belly pan which is like 12+ feet long!
I thought i got all the rivets, Electric Brake Wires and Propane lines out of the way, and the thing is hanging in super floppy but it will not "easily slide out" like i thought it would...

Anyway I plan on posting on this project a lot more often these next three weeks, and all your feedback is very appreciated. More Pictures to come!

Thanks,
Dylan