Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

1970 27' Overlander
haslet , Texas
1970 Overlander C Channel questions

First time posting on here, but I have done hours of reading. Tons of great info. Just started my rear end separation fix and floor replacement. After getting into it, I've found one of the PO has attempted to "fix"it before. Looks like they removed rear hatch and frame, added a piece of steel angle iron under it and some new bolts without removing interior skins (except small strip under hatch)

My question that I can't seem to find a solid answer to is:

Is there supposed to be an aluminum edge that goes around plywood in rear and that rivets to the skin (kinda like a upside down F) or does the C channel that attaches to the upper aluminum frame just sit directly on plywood (that's how it is now) ?

Thanks for your help,
Joe
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #2

1970 27' Overlander
haslet , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1428522622.501148.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	235865

This is not mine, but gives an idea of what I'm talking about. My plywood edge is exposed and looks like it was that way from the factory. Others I've seen have had a aluminum edge wrapped around them in the rear. Just wondering if airstream didn't always do it that way....
Old 04-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
The mother ship sells the curved piece, but may need some adjustment. I had to adjust the curve to fit my 73. It was an ugly installation, but functionally OK. They also sell the straight pieces.

I would imagine there will be alternatives suggested by our highly imaginative and innovative members.
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
In the very back, the steel hold down plate should be under the plywood floor. On either side of the frame in the rear, the banana wrap covers it, then further forward your side panels actually come all the way down and form the banana wrap. If you look for my thread "Aviators 1970 restomod", I recall posting some pictures when I got to that point. In mine, I used a stainless steel hold down plate to reduce galvanic reactions.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #5

1970 27' Overlander
haslet , Texas
Thanks everyone!

Aviator, That is an awesome job restoring the Overlander. I remember reading your build before getting ours trying to soak up as much info as possible and was really impressed.

Looks like you asked the same question about the "F" channel, apparently our airstreams didn't come with one. I think I'm just going to seal the ends of plywood with epoxy when I replace it and waterproof it very well.

My rear hold down plate is almost completely gone, but the lower angle iron is just lightly pitted. I'm going to clean it all up and put some rust sealer on it. I might put some sort of rubber barrier between lower angle and hold down plate. If I can't easily source a piece of stainless angle for my hold down plate, it looks like several have used aluminum angle for it.

Where were you able to source the stainless angle from? Not something typically found at the big box stores etc...

Can't wait to see how your shower turns out, were planning on using original until we figure out something we like.

Thanks again,
Joe