Old 02-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Keep digging. I think you are at the point where the belly pan in the rear should be dropped so you can have a good look at the rear cross member, body plate, and frame rails. Likely the tank will just drop out too. Replacing the rear 4 feet of subfloor sounds right.

It's a dirty job, but so what. We humans clean up pretty easily. Here's a photo of dropping the black tank out of my trailer. The support frames were so rusted I could not reuse them. The black tank itself was broken and leaking. The more you look, the more things you find that need fixed.

Colorado David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1710 Waste Tank Black Out 1 (Small).JPG
Views:	40
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	303800  

WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Santa Rosa , California
1970 New to Us Ambassador reality check

Hi CD,
Great points! Upon second look, I am pretty sure that it is a splice. I will measure and confirm tomorrow.
The tank is just resting in what's left of the galvanized box. The box itself is no longer supported in the rear -- the angle iron rusted in two. And I shudder to think what tomorrow will bring, when I see the rest of the frame in the rear...

Thanks,
David

By the way, I have never been more envious of someone with a concrete floor big enough to store an Airstream than I am right now...

2002sheds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Euless , Texas
David, I slid my floor in place from the outside with some persuasion using a big hammer when needed. Look at post 43 picture #3 to see the flange coming up through the floor from the tank. That requires you to place the tank and galvanized tank box after the floor is in place. Don't forget to join the new floor to the good old floor with a splice from underneath
tx70amb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Euless , Texas
David, I slid my floor in place from the outside with some persuasion using a big hammer when needed. Look at post 43 picture #3 to see the flange coming up through the floor from the tank. That requires you to place the tank and galvanized tank box after the floor is in place. Don't forget to join the new floor to the good old floor with a splice from underneath
tx70amb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #89
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Santa Rosa , California

Hi TX, All,
I went back and reviewed the picture -- thanks! It makes much more sense now.
I couple of quick questions:

1. Did you remove the banana wraps?

2. I read a post somewhere on Airforums where the person put a step ladder inside on the first solid piece of subfloor, then rested one end of a 4 by 6 on the step ladder while the other end went through the back window. That end was connected to a post which was raised using a floor jack, raising the whole back end...

I haven't yet removed the other side of the plywood in the rear. If I don't find rusted/missing frame support(s), is the second option a viable one? Does it require removing the banana wraps?

Thanks,
David
Old 02-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Banana wraps are the easiest items to take off and put back on. Just drill out the pop rivets. This will give you access to inspect the rear of the trailer better. Take off the fronts too so you can inspect the front of the frame. This is usually the first step but that's ok. You can do it now. Peace of mind will come or oh crap.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Well, I struggled removing one rear banana wrap. I don't know if it was Airstream or some previous owner, but there was a very good adhesive sealant between the banana wrap and exterior skin. I had to proceed with caution with a thin putty knife as to not bend the banana wrap edge. And I didn't.

I removed it as I had a spot of floor rot to repair right at the frame rail on the banana wrap side. Job done.

Colorado David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #92
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Santa Rosa , California

Hi All,
I tried to post this earlier, but it didn't "take"...

Below are several pics. Is it unusual for a section of U channel to be missing?

And I cannot find evidence of a missing piece at the rear, although the U channel is a little twisted below the rear hatch.

The galvanized box for the tank rusted through in the middle, as did the support to the rear of the tank.

Overall, the frame looks okay -- maybe some luck from being in California its whole life...

The entire corner near the Univolt box was rotted/soaked. Is the roof vent the likely culprit?

Thanks,
David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	U Chaanel missing section closeup.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	303834   Click image for larger version

Name:	U Channel rear twisted, tank box rusted through.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	303835  

Name:	U Channel rear corner door side.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	303836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame welded? Closeup.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	303837  

Old 02-09-2018, 11:07 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Santa Rosa , California

Hi,
In addition to the questions in my last post, I am wondering if this frame is missing a rear cross member... I can find no evidence of anything that rusted away except for the angle iron that supported the tank box...

Attached is a picture taken from underneath the rear of the AS. The U channel is intact, the plywood is rotted, and there is nothing frame-wise until in front (towards the front door) of the tank, where there is a horizontal beam".

Is that the normal setup? It seems like quite a distance to be handled by 5/8 inch plywood alone...

Thanks,
David
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2018, 11:08 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Your frame looks great. You maybe on to something about the vent at the univolt needing to be resealed or replaced. Keep it up.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:00 AM   #95
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Santa Rosa , California
Hi Matt,
Thanks very much! I am in uncharted waters -- especially now.

Does it matter that some of the U channel is gone (about 1-1/2 inches is missing, near the Univolt) ?

It seems to me that my path forward is to clean up the area that is exposed, cut the new plywood to size, seal it, remove the banana wraps, raise the rear of the shell and replace the rotted piece and secure it with bolts. Of course, I need to replace the galvanized box and drop the tank back in...

Will this likely solve the rear end separation?

Thanks,
David
Old 02-10-2018, 06:47 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
No. The u channel came that way from the factory. Your sailing in calm waters. So far your frame looks amazing. Cali weather seems to be kind to airstreams. Remove the banana wraps first. It will make your work easier. I believe your sag came from what you removed so far. Replace everything back and you should be good to go. Just as long as you find no other surprises back there. Most of the trouble in rotted rear ends are from the piano hinge/ cargo box on the back of the camper. It was a bad design flaw. Water tends to pool in that area plus the bathroom combo all leads to replacing that section.

Your doing a great job. I'm almost jealous. If my camper was in the shape of yours I would have been done years ago. The rate your going it will be back together in two weeks or less with camping in the forecast by end of march
Old 02-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #97
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Santa Rosa , California

Hi Matt,
Thanks very much! I am very relieved by what you said. I understand that there may be more items to tend to, but I am glad that (so far) major issues are not part of that mix...and everything I am removing seems to be original to the AS -- including the rotted subfloor and green carpet under the beds and heating pipe.
The seam towards the front (around 4 feet from the rear) had a plywood "gusset" underneath. I am assuming that it was because it was right at the 4 foot mark. There is a horizontal frame member just 4 to 6 inches further forward (towards the front of the AS). I am really hoping that the plywood is simply a fairly narrow strip that is underneath both pieces and to the rear of that frame cross piece. I may pull part of the belly pan in order to confirm that.
Eventually, I'd like to remove the entire belly pan and insulate with 2 inch rigid foam. The amount of dirt and mud found in the back -- the rotted areas -- was impressive.
What is also amazing is that I know for a fact that rats were in this AS. So far, there is no evidence that they spent time "below deck". All of the evidence has been in the walls and I heard them in the ceiling when I first saw the AS, so the wall panels will come down and be cleaned, insulation will be removed (and probably replaced with Great Stuff), and it will all go back up (smoothly, I hope

Thanks,
David
Old 02-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #98
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Santa Rosa , California
Hi,
In addition to the previous post, I'd like to ask -- how likely was 3/4 inch plywood used on this AS back in 1970? I just measured what came out, and it is definitely 3/4... Maybe the floor was replaced at some point? I have noticed missing rivets on some of the bulkheads as they were removed...

Thanks,
David