Old 04-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
You're making great progress! I'm sure there is mold and other nasty stuff in these old Airstreams. Maybe the Nevada desert was kinder on this rig than the Minnesota winters were on mine. Spray foam insulation did not last in Airstream's construction menu. I understand the foam does not survive well in the movement and vibration of towing. However, I have used foam board insulation under the subfloor. It does not hold water or mice. I think better than fiberglass insulation.

I am interested in that blind rivet that had been shaved that you found. I have been looking for a better alternative to the tri-fold "Olympic" rivet. I have found aircraft type Cherry Q rivets where the mandrel breaks flush with the head of the rivet. But it leaves a "bullseye" in the center. I wish there were a blind Pop rivet with a mandrel that breaks above the head so it could be shaved round. I haven't found one yet.

David

Old 04-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Carlsbad , California
Bare Bones

We had a productive day! We are down to a bare frame. Tomorrow is pressure wash and wire brush off the remaining foam remnants, loose paint and loose rust. I have a gallon of POR-15 arriving tomorrow and will get started on painting the frame once it's dry from the pressure cleaning,

Lot's of dirt, dust and rusty metal. The angle irons that supported the black tank will need to be replaced, the holding tank pan was rusted through in several spots.

This was all done today:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150408_162403.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	235885   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2342.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	235887  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150408_133109.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	235888   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150408_133114.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	235889  

Old 04-09-2015, 05:56 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
You and your Princess have a full dumpster full of old foam. That must have been a bear to pull out of all the nooks and crannies. Some how I was thinking the foam was used just in selected spots in 68. I did not realize it was everywhere.

Maybe you don't have much welding to do on your frame. I did not have any welding to do on mine. The POR 15 application is a messy job. Suit up, and the stuff is thinner than water. It runs everywhere. It chemically bonds to the rust and stops the oxidation. The directions are quite fussy about pre-treatment and humidity conditions during application, as well at timing for the second coat. It's good stuff, it is somewhat difficult to work with. It was suggested that a sacrificial garden chemical pump sprayer be used to apply POR 15. This might work okay. You might want to give it a try. Brushing on didn't work that well for me.

David
Old 04-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Carlsbad , California
David,

I was planning on using the small rollers (4 inch) to apply the POR-15. I thought about spraying it on. I picked up a HVLP paint gun from HF for $10 and that would do the job, I just don't want to waste any to over-spray and all of the open cut-outs. I would think a lot would end up on the ground going with the sprayer method.

The foam was everywhere, not sure if you can get 100% of it completely out short of a chemical bath or sand blasting. I will be doing quite a bit of wire brushing to clear as much up as I can get.

I plan on getting the frame prepped today and painted tomorrow. then Saturday starts reassembly.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilgemann View Post
David,

I called around to several metal fabricators in the San Diego area and no one wants to give it a try, they all said it requires special dies to do properly. Looks like I'll be using the cut/bend method with plenty of fasteners to keep it all tied in nice and tight.

Steve

I just bought a '66 Tradewind and am in the process of gutting it. Anticipating that I might need to replace at least part of the channel, I talked to a friend in the steel supply business the other day to see if he had any ideas. He says he can put me in touch with someone who can bend the aluminum channel by placing square pipe that fits inside the channel and then bending it, sort of like muffler shops bend exhaust pipes. we'll see, but I am a way from getting to that point, as the AS is mostly a one-day-a-weekend project right now.

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. It has already proved invaluable.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:31 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hello Slats in KC. Welcome to Air Forums and the vintage Airstream hobby. I have a 66 Trade Wind also. It's been a lot of work, and a lot of fun. I hope to have it "travel ready" this summer. We'll see.

I'm one of many who have worked extensively on the mid sixties trailers. I enjoy helping others with questions or possibilities. I've learned a lot from fellow Airstreamers here in these Air Forums.

You may have found the Airstream Knowledge Base toward the bottom of the Forums page. The trailers section lists all the Airstream models. Click on Tradewind, and then click on the year range. There is where Trade Wind specific threads reside. You might enjoy reading someone's restoration thread. You'll learn a lot about your Trade Wind there.

Again welcome. Now we can sit back and watch Shilgemann blast through the rebuilding of his Trade Wind. He is going at it much more vigorously than I did, that's for sure. Deadlines do that to you! I'm retired, no deadlines.

David
Old 04-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #35
GlamperGirl

I think Shilgemann is going to catch up to me! Time for me to finish the c-channel top side and lower shell, align the door. RIVET!
Old 04-13-2015, 11:21 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Carlsbad , California
On hold until my POR-15 arrives. Was supposed to be here last Thursday, but delayed. I suspect it opened in shipping, it was coming from Phoenix to San Diego. I contacted Amazon and they are sending another gallon to me.

Also waiting for the holding tank sales rep to return my call for my order--some people make it hard to spend your money with them.

I'll take some pics of a mod I made to the frame to accommodate larger holding tanks.

If my POR-15 and tanks come in this week I will have the deck, tanks, and belly pan all back on by this weekend.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Carlsbad , California
Still waiting for the POR-15 to arrive. I had to order a replacement for the replacement! I received a text that it was delivered this morning, I checked the tracking and it shows it was sent back to the seller as damaged. I am guessing the folks at UPS don't take the "hazardous" and "fragile" labels too serious if this has happened to both orders.

I'll update once I have the frame painted In the meantime I am doing some of the small stuff, like rebuilding the baggage doors and replacing the seals on them.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
;o) those stickers just mean "toss harder into truck" ;o) sorry transport companies but it looks that way sometimes.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
cloverdale , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilgemann View Post
On hold until my POR-15 arrives. Was supposed to be here last Thursday, but delayed. I suspect it opened in shipping, it was coming from Phoenix to San Diego. I contacted Amazon and they are sending another gallon to me.

Also waiting for the holding tank sales rep to return my call for my order--some people make it hard to spend your money with them.

I'll take some pics of a mod I made to the frame to accommodate larger holding tanks.

If my POR-15 and tanks come in this week I will have the deck, tanks, and belly pan all back on by this weekend.
Been following all of your hard work lately...Looks like thing are going relatively smoothly. I've got a 68 Tradewind double and am in the process of building gantries for my big "shell lift-off" (floor is pretty shot in a few of the usual places) Just was wondering where your getting your new tanks from and what size they are.. I was thinking about putting in a grey water tank between the frame from V.T.S. but I noticed they don't have a replacement black tank for a 68'.. keep posting pics,,they're giving me the courage to keep movin forward,,, thanx,,,Christian
Old 04-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Rockford , Michigan
I just received my black and grey tanks from vts for my '68 Sovereign rebuild. They are able to put appropriate fittings for a black tank into their standard grey tanks. Give them a call to discuss your plans. I am very happy with the service and the tanks.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Carlsbad , California
I ordered my tanks from Inca Plastics, it took them awhile to get the ball rolling, I get the feeling they don't deal with a lot of small orders. I ordered the H-0094 which is 24x45.5x9 33gal for my gray tank. I ordered the H-0057 which is a 26gal tank measuring 17x50x7.5. I am having them shorten it to 44" so will lose about 2.5 gals. The distance between the frame members is 26x52 for the gray and 17x52 for the black. I figured I would need the 8 inches for fittings and valves.

I asked them to install (spin-weld) on the flush out fittings on the back so I can get a clean flush on the tanks. I am having them put two on the black tank--I know it's overkill, I just like the idea of being able to really flush it out. I initially was going to use the larger tank as the black since it is in the rear, but thought it made more sense to have a larger gray tank. My interior is a blank slate so the layout of the bathroom isn't an issue which tank goes where. My only concern was having the black "upstream" of the gray, but I think the extra flushing capability will mitigate any issues.

Total cost for both tanks, the modifications, (1) 3" grommet and (5) 1.5" grommet fittings and UPS ground was $422.

I made some mods to the frame to accept the slightly deeper tanks. I will get some pics of that and post it up next week. I am out camping again this weekend, so won't be doing any work on the Tradewind.

As a side note, the state of California is reissuing the 1960's style black plates with the yellow lettering. I ordered a set of personalized plates for the AS, but won't know which of my 6 choices was assigned to me until they send them out later this year. They weren't going to start pressing them until they reached their minimum order of 15,000--which they did before 1 Jan. Should be any day now.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Your Inca Plastics tanks cost about the same as mine. Inca treated me well. I like the rubber grommets as they allowed me to coordinate the mounting of the tanks as well as the drain plumbing runs. Once I determined both, I dropped the tanks, drilled the floor, hung the tanks, marked them, dropped them again, and hole sawed the grommet holes in the tanks. I had 5 drain and vent connections to my tanks. I did decide to drain the bath sink into my black tank to better utilize the holding space, and it was a shorter plumbing run.

I mounted See Level circuits to my tanks. So far the system works well. It's one of those "while I'm at it" projects and expenses.

David

Tags