Old 01-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Manheim , Pennsylvania
1968 Rotten Step Outriggers

Hello Fellow Streamers,
I am in the works of a full monte on a 68 Overlander. My first. The shell is off, the wood is gone, almost all of the annoying yellow spray foam is stripped, and the true rust damage can be seen! This trailer had some serious water damage to the floors and it really shows in the frame. The back end crossbars from the black tank back were rusted to dirt flakes, a few of the lower bends of the outriggers are rotting away, but the most damage is to the door area. Attached is a picture of the forward step outrigger. As you can see, it's totally shot and needs replaced. As well as the the rest of the outriggers forward of the curbside wheel and the steel that forms the door base frame. It's almost like someone left the door open for a few years to let the rain and snow inside...

I happen to live down the street from a really good welder who has an RV, so he thinks this is a fun project. He also has access to a CNC plasma cutter and a large enough metal brake to make copies of the outriggers and rebuild the parts for the step frame area. But by the picture, you can see that the notch on mine is totally gone!

I have found so much helpful information on this forum for every other part of this project, and am really glad I found this site! Now, I'm reaching out there to see if anyone has the exact measurements for the cut out in the step outriggers or can help point me in the right direction.

From everything I have read online and talked to dealers, the step outriggers online for sale won't work on the 1968 and earlier models, because they widened the body by an inch? At least that's what Andy told me. I can buy 5" solid outriggers and cut them to down the half inch, but then I still need the specs for the notch...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	479.4 KB
ID:	255293

Old 01-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
The top side of the notch is there. The bottom just follows 1/2" wide. I've cut a number of these by hand, they don't have to be real exact.

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Manheim , Pennsylvania
That makes pretty perfect sense... What's the best way to cut the notch by hand? Working with steel is new to me. If I could cut the metal myself, I'm sure I could find a friend with a break to bend the pieces. I'm kind of taking this project on as a giant learning experience. It's been fun so far!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
No need to use a break, you can buy 2x4 or 5 whatever that measures. Cut the curve on the end, trace out the slot, drill a 1/2" hole on each end then I cut the slot with my grinder with a cutting wheel.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags