Old 02-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Los Gatos , California
1968 Furnace Ducts Removal

Help! How do I remove the furnace ducts that run under the subfloor and through the oval cutouts of the frame crossmembers?? Iím working with a 1968 Airstream Overlander. The spray foam insulation surrounds the ducts, but I can remove that. What I canít see is how to dismember the ducts into pieces so that I can slide them out. I have about an 8-10 foot stretch of the metal ducts. Thank you!

Stargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
My 68 was one of the ones with factory spray insulation. I just left the ductwork in place and made a filler patch for the holes in the floor. My NT-22 furnace was shot and the only new furnace that would fit was a 30K BTU unit. I called the factory (this was 10 years ago) and the tech said that the new furnace needed 3 outlets to work properly. Since a Tradewind had only 2 ducts in the floor, I decided to get rid of it, free up a big cabinet space and use space heaters since here in Mississippi we don't camp much in cold weather. If are taking it out to make room for insulation, I'd suggest using a 4 inch grinder with a cut off wheel to slice the duct into manageable length pieces. The sheet metal will cut with no problem. A vibrating type saw is great to get the foam off the bottom of the floor.

68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Los Gatos , California
Thank you! Will be trying this today!
Old 03-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Los Gatos , California
Success!

Just an update for anyone reading this thread in the future...I did it! It took me way longer than it should have. And I SWEAR the ducting looked so much bigger from the ground looking up at it than it did once it was out

I used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel to cut through the bottom half of the ducts. I had never used an angle grinder before so my cuts were quite awful and yes the sparks did make me nervous. But I persisted! I had to be very careful of the brake/exterior light wiring that for some reason runs right along the ducting. I made two cuts parallel to each other 4-6 inches apart across the duct and then used tip snips to snip away that portion. Then I used a combo of angle grinder and tip snips to get at the top half of the rectangle ducts. It was hard to get enough space for the angle grinder to work up there, which is why I was relying on the snips. I had to make five cuts in total, because the darn ducting wouldn't bend AT ALL to let me slide it out. I was able to slide it back and forth along the frame cross-members and within the oval cutouts, but could not get it to bend enough to slide out in one piece. The metal compartment that holds the black water tank stopped me from sliding it out the rear, so maybe it would have been easier without that there.

Also worth noting that the two ends of the ducts (a vent in the kitchen and bathroom areas) are stapled into the subfloor. I removed these with needle nose pliers and they slide (along with the boxier pieces connected to them that sit under the subfloor) right out of the rest of the ductwork. This would have saved me a cut or two if I had figured that out sooner.

Also the previous poster was absolutely right: there was a rubber hose ~1 in that led from the rear duct vent to the black water tank compartment. Hadn't even noticed that! Good thing I plan on spending most my time in California...I sure hope just the insulation around the tank is enough
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image from iOS (28).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	793.6 KB
ID:	335175  
Old 03-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Thanks for the follow up, glad it worked out well. If you have any 68 specific questions feel free to send me a PM.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, duct, ducted air, ductwork, frame, full monte, furnace