Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #501
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Nice work Javier. I love doing electrical.

Norm
Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #502
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Nice work Javier. I love doing electrical.

Norm
Thanks Norm, of all the phases of this restoration welding and electrical are the most fun (windows being the least).
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #503
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I find on Ebay that what I want either goes so high or the shipping to get it here is so much that I don't bid. Maybe I am not patient enough either. The next trailer we start on will have more time to be done hopefully so I can get some of those good deals. Do you have any tips on that to make Ebay bidding work better?
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #504
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
I find on Ebay that what I want either goes so high or the shipping to get it here is so much that I don't bid. Maybe I am not patient enough either. The next trailer we start on will have more time to be done hopefully so I can get some of those good deals. Do you have any tips on that to make Ebay bidding work better?
Sandy
Sandy you have to be very patient. I lost a ton of auctions before I got the parts I wanted. You also have to be really clear on what you want and how much you are willing to spend. I tend to feel that the auctions held by parts houses are rigged. I have more luck with individuals. Also I use a bidding snipe called Auction Magic. It bids for me even when I cant be at my computer.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #505
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Sandy you have to be very patient. I lost a ton of auctions before I got the parts I wanted. You also have to be really clear on what you want and how much you are willing to spend. I tend to feel that the auctions held by parts houses are rigged. I have more luck with individuals. Also I use a bidding snipe called Auction Magic. It bids for me even when I cant be at my computer.
You mean the parts houses that have auctions either never sell or always sell for the same price? Yeah.. I feel like that too. Especially when you go to their history and find that despite having auctions with different quantities, the winning price per item is always approximately the same. Very suspicious indeed.

Regardless, I'm very impressed with that Wave 8. Well done!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #506
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
You mean the parts houses that have auctions either never sell or always sell for the same price? Yeah.. I feel like that too. Especially when you go to their history and find that despite having auctions with different quantities, the winning price per item is always approximately the same. Very suspicious indeed.

Regardless, I'm very impressed with that Wave 8. Well done!
Thanks Peter I actually felt bad about that one. He was a nice old guy. I even asked him if he knew how much they went for. He knew but just wanted to get rid of it, oh well..
BTW are you guys going to the Vintage Trailer Show at Modernism week in Palm Springs at the end of Feb?I think Kenny is going..
Old 01-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #507
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Thanks Peter I actually felt bad about that one. He was a nice old guy. I even asked him if he knew how much they went for. He knew but just wanted to get rid of it, oh well..
BTW are you guys going to the Vintage Trailer Show at Modernism week in Palm Springs at the end of Feb?I think Kenny is going..
I'm 75% sure that I can go. Marie is currently on a nights schedule that will last until sometime around that week, so we are still talking through whether she'll be able to go. What dates are you and Kenny looking at?

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #508
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
I'm 75% sure that I can go. Marie is currently on a nights schedule that will last until sometime around that week, so we are still talking through whether she'll be able to go. What dates are you and Kenny looking at?
I think I am going on the 24th
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #509
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Oops! to all my friends going to Modernism week this February, sadly I may not be able to go. I for once have too many great invites that I have to turn down, damn it!! If I can get a new date for my wife, maybe I can weasel out and go to the trailer show.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #510
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
......and the rough battery/ charging/7 way set up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130122_102808.png
Views:	164
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	177225
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #511
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Got the power center charging the batteries and tested one of my fantastic fans. Everything seems to be working even though I have to step down my service from 50 amps to 15 amps because I dont have the right plug run. I have to a 6awg 3 wire flex whip to my trailer and install the correct plug. Sounds like a spring project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1221106.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	177246   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1221107.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	177247  

Name:	P1221108.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	177248  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #512
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Got the power center charging the batteries and tested one of my fantastic fans. Everything seems to be working even though I have to step down my service from 50 amps to 15 amps because I dont have the right plug run. I have to a 6awg 3 wire flex whip to my trailer and install the correct plug. Sounds like a spring project.
Just make sure not to do it as a rainy day project...

But seriously.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #513
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:

Just make sure not to do it as a rainy day project...

But seriously.
Why not? just kidding. I have a serious question I left my charger plugged in over night and my batteries are not charging that much if at all. I just measured them at 12.46 v dc. Now i know that it is really steped down from 60 amps but.... guess I will check it again tonite
Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #514
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
what are all those wires going into the battery disconnect? I think it should be just one in one out...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #515
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
what are all those wires going into the battery disconnect? I think it should be just one in one out...
Those are ground wires from the power jack 7 pin trailer connector and dc side of the power center. I have a seperate ground to the frame for the ac.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #516
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I could be wrong, since I am not an electrical engineer, but I think that cut off is to cut the battery off only. I think it should be between the battery and whatever comes first out of it.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #517
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I could be wrong, since I am not an electrical engineer, but I think that cut off is to cut the battery off only. I think it should be between the battery and whatever comes first out of it.
I don't think there should be any thing on the battery side but wht about the common ground side? Any one else wanna chime in? Love the fourms!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #518
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I have one of those battery switches on my Avion C-11/trailer. It has 3 connections. Battery 1, Battery 2 and Common. The positive of battery 1 goes to terminal 1, the positive of battery 2 goes to terminal 2 and the output (positive output from the switch) to wherever it goes ties to the common port. I don't know if your switch is the same as mine (mine is NOS and 40 years old) but it is used for switching between battery 1, battery 2, both batteries, or OFF.

It shouldn't have any ground (common) going to the "common" terminal. If that is what is going on, you may have a problem. I don't know if yours is the same as mine, but it may be.

M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #519
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Jav, that switch is a battery disconnect. It is intended to turn off the battery. I always use that same type made by Blue Sea. I am fairly sure it does not go on the ground of anything. To turn off the battery you want it between the plus side of the battery and your fuse distribution box. A main, inline fuse can also be used just before the switch. I hope this makes sense.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #520
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
really trying to help...
when you put fuses in the bottom half of the 110 side you will have no power. You have to jump from the one black terminal on the main fuse to the other. I found this out in a very hard lesson.
And while I am laying all this (hopefully positive) criticism on you... Only strip off the insulation that goes into the terminals. It is not a good idea to have a lot of bare copper showing in a distribution box. Once again, I found this out in a very hard lesson.

Tags
1965, 1965 sovereign, buck rivet, frame repair, olympic rivet, shell off