Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #221
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Time

Keep it up Jav,
You are in the window black hole. But, you'll be out soon. Amazing how much time and effort windows can take. You are doing great. It'll all be worth it.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #222
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
We understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
After three days of dealing with my windows I have learned:
1) Silicone sucks!
2) I am defiantly not a detail person
3) Glass is rarely salvageable
4) It is always much worse than you thought.
So I have two windows complete out of ten (complete with bulb seal), one picture window in out of three installed, four broken frames re welded, five windows siliconed so bad I had to clean each frame three times, all window openings cleaned and prepped for window install and went thru 50' of glazing tape and almost all of my glazing strips. Oh and be careful pressing that glazing strip in to the outside for the window frame. My hands and thumbs are pretty sore!
Just having completed a complete overhaul on all our windows, we can say we understand. It took a lot longer than we expected but I have to admit I liked the cleaning part of each window. I guess it is futzing with each little area that keeps me out of trouble. Now that we are done with that, I am trying to be as interested in getting the 68 tubes worth of silicone someone decided was a good idea off the outside of the windows. That is a royal pain and having tried everything under the sun to get it off, still haven't figured out a good method. I did order some silicone caulk remover from VTS so hopefully that is the magic cure I need. I have run out of fingernails at this point and look like I must chew my nails all the time.

I keep reminding myself that every step completed is one more step closer to camping. Are you going to polish your window frames before you put them back or wait until later? You are doing well and I enjoy watching your progress.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #223
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
I also got some of those cleaning wheels like you have on the drill but they didn't seem to do anything for me?
The disc's pictured work better if used in twos and threes and they need better then 10k rpm to really work well. I use a 20k rpm 90 degree die grinder. They are also directional.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #224
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Thanks guys I was wondering if I was just being a baby. I still have to rebuild most of my windows and put bulb gaskets in all but one frame. Any advice? Tips? What steps did you guys take? I had two windows caulked in so bad those took almost one day!
@Sandy that silicone remover from VTS works pretty good. But it is a bit thick, so be patient. Also you may need more than one application. I polished the windows a bit, not sure if I will get to crazy though. Any tips?
@ Kip Thanks by the way for the tool tip. I had to cut into the groove of the window so only one would fit. It worked well on what looked like painters caulking in the window frame. I will try it with my die grinder on the vents and vent covers.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #225
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks guys I was wondering if I was just being a baby. I still have to rebuild most of my windows and put bulb gaskets in all but one frame. Any advice? Tips? What steps did you guys take? I had two windows caulked in so bad those took almost one day!
@Sandy that silicone remover from VTS works pretty good. But it is a bit thick, so be patient. Also you may need more than one application. I polished the windows a bit, not sure if I will get to crazy though. Any tips?
@ Kip Thanks by the way for the tool tip. I had to cut into the groove of the window so only one would fit. It worked well on what looked like painters caulking in the window frame. I will try it with my die grinder on the vents and vent covers.
The "bulb" gasket is a waste of time and money.

That's restoring what was thought to be good, 45 years ago. Gaskets have since been far improved.

A far superior gasket is black and is "D" shaped. Seals better and lasts a heck of alot longer.

Also easy to install.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #226
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The "bulb" gasket is a waste of time and money.

That's restoring what was thought to be good, 45 years ago. Gaskets have since been far improved.

A far superior gasket is black and is "D" shaped. Seals better and lasts a heck of alot longer.

Also easy to install.

Andy
Unfortunatly I bought a whole bunch of the bulb type. I came across some posts talking about the bulb type vs D shaped. Oh well nexbt time
Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #227
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Unfortunatly I bought a whole bunch of the bulb type. I came across some posts talking about the bulb type vs D shaped. Oh well nexbt time
I will bet that before the end of 2012, you will have a water leaking window because of that bulb gasket.

It's always good to remember the good ole days, along with the good ole stuff.

But, science and physics still abounds.

Therefore new stuff comes on the market that leaves the old things, way back in the dark.

Small example, light bulbs or how about cars and their stuff, compared to just 10 years ago??

Best idea when repairing things on an Airstream, is to update the type of part, or certainly the quality of parts.

We feel the bulb gasket came over on the Titanic, and should have stayed with it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #228
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Windows are a lot of work, period! Going on six days, ten windows. Broke two more frames trying to clean out what looked like painters caulk So I have three windows left to clean, replace glass, and replace glazing. Hope finish next week. Hope that is.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240785.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	149535   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240793.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	149536  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240789.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	149537   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240792.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	149538  

Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #229
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hang in there, Marz, it's going to look like it's ready to launch into outer space!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #230
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
I spent the better part of a summer trying to get all the windows an vent openings finished, felt like forever!

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #231
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
I spent the better part of a summer trying to get all the windows an vent openings finished, felt like forever!
Agreed. Took forever, and to date, it was the most tiring and frustrating part of my project. I probably shouldn't have counted the pieces like I did, because when you think about 23 pieces of metal/ window times 5 windows times 2 cuts....230 passes on stuff. ugh.

However, re-installing all the trim and seeing it back together really made me feel validated.

Hang in there Marz, it's looking great!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #232
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Agreed. Took forever, and to date, it was the most tiring and frustrating part of my project..!
One more thing on my Dreaded List...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #233
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Glad to see that I am in good company. It is such a time suck, pretty much ....well ..sucks!! I am hopeing to get more done this Sunday, wish me luck!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #234
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hey Marz, just wanted to drop a line and say it's coming along nicely! Learned some new things on how you're doing your windows btw!
Thanks!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #235
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Hey Marz, just wanted to drop a line and say it's coming along nicely! Learned some new things on how you're doing your windows btw!
Thanks!
Marc
Hi Marc I was wondering where you have been. Thank you, I am inching forward on these windows. I thought that the windows would tough but not this tough. Glad you learned something, it makes my journey worth it. Just got my Fantastic Vents so stay tuned!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #236
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
FF?? Alright! Did you go with the "curved" inside plastic or the flat. I'm assuming the curved? Yeah.. been MIA but lurking around... lots of family stuff going on. Just need more TIME!

It just occurred to me that I might have driven by you.. went down to So Cal for the weekend two weeks ago to look at colleges for my eldest daughter (Art Center Pasadena, CalARts + USC)... then out to Palm Springs to visit some friends. Duh.. shoulda PM'd you...
Next time!
Marc
Old 01-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #237
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
FF?? Alright! Did you go with the "curved" inside plastic or the flat. I'm assuming the curved? Yeah.. been MIA but lurking around... lots of family stuff going on. Just need more TIME!

It just occurred to me that I might have driven by you.. went down to So Cal for the weekend two weeks ago to look at colleges for my eldest daughter (Art Center Pasadena, CalARts + USC)... then out to Palm Springs to visit some friends. Duh.. shoulda PM'd you...
Next time!
Marc
I went with the curved grey plastic because I am going with the all aluminum interior. I figured it would look better than beige or white.
Is your daughter going for design? Cal Arts is great, so is Art center. Not so sure about USC but it is a great school over all.
Absolutly PM me nent time you come down. Maybe we can grab a beer?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #238
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
MB I might have missed it but are you going to re-install the original tail light clusters; just curious as I was really tempted to pick up a mid 60's trailer and swap the lights out for early 60's units.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #239
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Keep it up Jav,
You are in the window black hole. But, you'll be out soon. Amazing how much time and effort windows can take. You are doing great. It'll all be worth it.
It always blows me away too. If a client even remotely shows any interest in putting in some sweat, I have em work on the windows. Not hard work, just very time consuming.
I am working on a 61 right now. When the customer first began their project, they replaced all the bulb seal with a "D" molding made of black foam. Three years later it has totally failed. It is crushed down and does not seal any longer. I removed it all. Today 8 hours was spent melting the copious amounts of 3M Weather Strip adhesive that was applied to make a wrong seal fit into the groove. Any residue in that groove will not allow the bulb seal to seat properly. I feel Javier's pain...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #240
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
So to make an analogy go further.. first the Titantic sank, and then the Costa? I think the bulb seal works better now because of better rubber?
Thanks for your input Frank!

I meant to ask the purpose of the hot knife.. does that make it cut better, or are you sealing the edges of the miter that way?

Sure, I'm up for a beer, or coffee (I'm from the NW you know ).. I'll remember to PM next time! Yes, she's interested in animation in the entertainment industry... traditional or digital. Just wrapping my head around college costs! Whew! Some of these colleges (well, actually all three I visited) I could buy a new 25 foot AS every year!!
Where's my lotto ticket!

Back to the silver...
Marc

Tags
1965, 1965 sovereign, buck rivet, frame repair, olympic rivet, shell off