Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #61
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Progress

More progerss today. Had some more channel fabricated and bought some more metal. Still waiting on my mig welder I bought to complete the frame welding. But the set up and metal cutting take a lot of time. Oh and bonus, got my wheels today!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3070029.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	123950   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3070030.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	123951  

Name:	P3070032.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	123952   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3070028.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	123953  

marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #62
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Thumbs up Starting to look like a frame again!

Got a little more frame metal cut and dry fit today. Hope to get it all done before my welder gets here. As you can see in the pictures, the rear end supports were missing. I had to figure out where the rear support was by lining up the channel and the holes in the floor. PITA!!! Next step is to pick up my tanks and build the brackets....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3080028.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	124029   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3080032.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	124030  

Name:	P3080033.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	124031   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3080034.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	124032  

Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Nice work, I gotta learn how to weld....
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #64
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Nice work, I gotta learn how to weld....
Thanks Hoot! I defiantly recommend learning how to weld. It isn't as hard as it seems. There are some basics to know, but if you have good building skill and great tools its actually pretty fun. As a kid I grew up across the street from this guy named Bill Rice. He use to build classic cars from the suspension up. I was fascinated with his work and always wanted to do what he did. Now he builds Top Fuel NHRA Drag engines. Someday maybe, but learning to weld is a must for me. And anyone who does restoration is really in it for the cool tools!!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Nice looking wheels!

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #66
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
Nice looking wheels!
Thanks T I got them from Trailer Tires and Wheels - trailer tires, boat trailer tires, trailer wheels, boat trailer wheels, aluminum trailer wheels They have the best prices.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Woodland Hills , California
'65 rehab

Javier, I like those wheels. They are very close to what I have. Kenny
kennyp315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #68
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Thanks Kenny, you should come and check out the frame progress. More frame pics and trying out metal break. Fabricating is extremely tedious
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3150031.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	124633   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3150032.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	124634  

Name:	P3150029.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	124635  
Old 03-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #69
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
What is the orange machine?

Great progress on your frame. Just curious, what is the orange thing in the last picture?
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #70
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Great progress on your frame. Just curious, what is the orange thing in the last picture?
Sandy
Hi Sandy, that is a 36" metal break. I have to replace most of the "C" channel that holds the shell to the frame/floor. Its a great tool if you need to bend sheet metal. I picked it up cheep on ebay
Old 03-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #71
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thumbs up So...next question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Hi Sandy, that is a 36" metal break. I have to replace most of the "C" channel that holds the shell to the frame/floor. Its a great tool if you need to bend sheet metal. I picked it up cheep on ebay
Thanks for that info. It might have been a dumb question but I gotta ask what I don't know. I had no clue what that was and figured I had better ask. Our frame is completely shot and will only be used as a template for the new one. I have a feeling we might need new channel as well

My better half is reviewing welders and determining which one to purchase. Any suggestions? He has already told me that is what I am getting for Mother's Day....sounds good to me because it means we are eventually going to go CAMPING!!

Our new 20' x 40' Rookery building for the Albatross is coming along and as soon as we can free the frame from the snow, we will start in on the frame rebulding. I am jealous of your great weather down there.

I'm wondering if I should locate a metal brake too because I am guessing we won't be able to find someone here that does that kind of work in aluminum. The man in charge likes to get supplies only the minute he needs them and then is frustrated when he can't get them right that minute. I have to try to anticipate what he might need and try to track it down before he needs it.

The collection of tools we have just keeps growing....no wonder we have all this shop space. The neighbors are talking......
Sandy
Old 03-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #72
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Thanks for that info. It might have been a dumb question but I gotta ask what I don't know. I had no clue what that was and figured I had better ask. Our frame is completely shot and will only be used as a template for the new one. I have a feeling we might need new channel as well

My better half is reviewing welders and determining which one to purchase. Any suggestions? He has already told me that is what I am getting for Mother's Day....sounds good to me because it means we are eventually going to go CAMPING!!

Our new 20' x 40' Rookery building for the Albatross is coming along and as soon as we can free the frame from the snow, we will start in on the frame rebuilding. I am jealous of your great weather down there.

I'm wondering if I should locate a metal brake too because I am guessing we won't be able to find someone here that does that kind of work in aluminum. The man in charge likes to get supplies only the minute he needs them and then is frustrated when he can't get them right that minute. I have to try to anticipate what he might need and try to track it down before he needs it.

The collection of tools we have just keeps growing....no wonder we have all this shop space. The neighbors are talking......
Sandy
Sandy the break is mostly for sheet metal fabrication. In my case I am making new channel that holds the shell to the plywood/ frame. In your case, if you are building a new frame, you should be able to locate new preformed box channel ( looks like a rectangular tube) or "U" channel (Looks like a rectangular U). In my case I had U channel fabricated to match my existing frame. The real work on your project will be measuring and cutting. Unlike working with wood, metal needs very precise cuts. If not the gaps are hard to fill weld. I would suggest if you are cutting and measuring to buy or rent a metal cutting band saw like this one Milwaukee 6230N Deep Cut Portable Band Saw with Trigger Speed Control
This way you wont be grinding and re fitting The set up cutting etc always takes the longest, the welding is easy. Depending where you are metal is pretty easy to find. Fabrication is not a big deal either. I just had to find a metal yard that had at least a 8' break to bend the metal I needed. Unless you are going to make aluminum channel for your shell I might skip the break. I bought a Lincoln 180 T MIG. Anything less than 180 is a waste of time if you are welding this type of metal. I can weld plate steel up to 1/2 inch thick. Miller also makes a nice welder.
Dont forget that you can rent a lot of tools like welders that way you can get it quick and save alot of $$$
Old 03-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #73
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Next question....

Thanks for that info. I believe we might have a source for our frame metal and we just need to be able to get the original frame out of 4 feet of driven snow. For those of you who haven't had the experience with driven snow, think "concrete". Might be May by the time we get it loose without using the flamethrower.

I know my husband has a metal cut off saw because he has used it on a number of projects. He has a band saw for wood but not for metal. He might be on the hunt for more tools.....Luckily we both like fixing up stuff and seeing if we can make a silk purse out a a sow's ear. Either that, or we are certifiable!!

Do you think the metal band saw is a must have or a just would like and if possible kind of item?

I enjoy following your posts to see what the possibilities are....and to wish we were that far along on our journey.
Sandy
Old 03-18-2011, 03:50 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Thanks for that info. I believe we might have a source for our frame metal and we just need to be able to get the original frame out of 4 feet of driven snow. For those of you who haven't had the experience with driven snow, think "concrete". Might be May by the time we get it loose without using the flamethrower.

I know my husband has a metal cut off saw because he has used it on a number of projects. He has a band saw for wood but not for metal. He might be on the hunt for more tools.....Luckily we both like fixing up stuff and seeing if we can make a silk purse out a a sow's ear. Either that, or we are certifiable!!

Do you think the metal band saw is a must have or a just would like and if possible kind of item?

I enjoy following your posts to see what the possibilities are....and to wish we were that far along on our journey.
Sandy
Sandy,
I like this deal, new project new tools!!! It worked really well with the Airstream, I ended up with a new barn for the Cruiser. Just couldn't have the old girl sitting out side.
Doug

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #75
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:

Sandy
@Sandy honestly I used an angle grinder with an extremely thin cutoff wheel. Just don't drink a lot of coffee The grinder is a must have because of its versatility. I would rent a band saw if you could.
Good luck with the snow. I'm going snowboarding this weekend!!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #76
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
How many projects with how many tools....??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
Sandy,
I like this deal, new project new tools!!! It worked really well with the Airstream, I ended up with a new barn for the Cruiser. Just couldn't have the old girl sitting out side.
Doug
That is kind of the dilemma we ended up with here. Bought the Airstream without seeing it. Discovered it needed a lot more work than we thought. Ended up doing the full monte. Needed to build a place to repair it in. Building a space as we speak. Didn't know how to weld. Better half taking a welding class with only two classes left to finish. I got the interior paint, upholstery fabric, curtain fabric, and about everything else but not even close to that step yet. One thing has really led to another.

You have to realize that my husband has built boats (he loves wooden boats...crazy about them I'd say) and he has built guitars. Any everything in between-houses, furniture, cabinets, etc. He is a craftsman with super attention to details and precision. No wonder this building is taking so long He has about every size clamp known to man (boat size to mini clamps for guitar interiors) until he took welding. Now we need welding clamps...who would have thunk we didn't have every type of clamp made?

New tools to date:
Additional grinder (old one pooped out when doing the full monte)
Air driven shears
Roofing nailer (we have five different nailers but not the right one apparently)
Riveter....only one so far, I see others in my future...
welding gloves and helmet
Whole bunch of hand tool stuff ????

Up next:
Welder
Welding supplies
Welding coat
Welding chipping hammer, clamps, stuff....etc, etc.

I only fear that when we pass on to the great Airstream heaven, our kids will have to face the auction crowd and say "Seriously folks, we had no idea how really crazy these people were." I am going to encourage that they either use an alias for the estate sale or go into the witness protection program. Glad I won't be there to see it.
Sandy
Old 03-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #77
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
So we can skip one tool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
@Sandy honestly I used an angle grinder with an extremely thin cutoff wheel. Just don't drink a lot of coffee The grinder is a must have because of its versatility. I would rent a band saw if you could.
Good luck with the snow. I'm going snowboarding this weekend!!
Thanks Marzboy-maybe there is a light at the end of the tool tunnel. Not that I don't like tools, but we have a tool or two for about anything you would want and somehow, somehow we end up needing something else. I am not sure if it is just fate, karma, or some other unnamed condition we suffer from. Wait, come to think of it, I think it has a name....INSANITY??

My big purchase, once we can see actual ground instead of snow, is to get a power washer. We need to carefully wash down the exterior shell inside and outside to make sure we don't have any reminders left from the four legged creatures that made the Albatross their home for quite awhile.

Once that is done, we might be ready to start working on other issues and purchase other tools as well. Somehow I see a number of different welding machines, metal band saws, etc. etc. in my future. Thanks for giving me a heads up on what we could possibly rent rather than buy and save the kids some headaches down the road.
Sandy
Old 04-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #78
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
still in the fight

Finally got my welder. It has almost been a month since I ordered it
but Im back on track!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4040059.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	126425   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4040060.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	126426  

Name:	P4040062.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	126427   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4040056.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	126428  

Old 04-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #79
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
New tools are always fun! Have fun welding and grinding and welding and grinding.....

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #80
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
New tools are always fun! Have fun welding and grinding and welding and grinding.....
Took a little break and went snowboarding. Now back to welding and grinding and welding and grinding.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3220041.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	126786  

Tags
1965, 1965 sovereign, buck rivet, frame repair, olympic rivet, shell off