Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #449
Tool Hoarder
 
Currently Looking...
West , California
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 907
Images: 3
@ Tim the only trick I have for you is build a jig to match the curve of the trailers inner door frame. I wll take a couple pics of it when I get home and post them. Also find a really good welder that can tig weld aluminum.
Don't feel too bad, not very many can follow kip. When I read his threads I feel like a cave man working with sticks and stones.
__________________

__________________
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #450
Tool Hoarder
 
Currently Looking...
West , California
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 907
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasideSteph

Funny how the cracks are right where the rivets mount, and why was it riveted in such a weak spot?? Removed inside sheets and insulation, dreading removing the door off the hinge but the hinge needs work anyway. My welder told me I'd need to remove the outer skin too, if I didn't want it marred in the process. Not looking forward to investing in the Olympic rivet shaver, but I suppose I'll need it in the inventory anyway.
My cracks are in the same spots the design is crap. You will need to have your trailer with your welder as they are working on the frame to get the curve of the door right. Your frame is cast aluminum which is very difficult to weld. It absorbs lots of moisture and can produce crappy weak welds. If you can't move the trailer you can make a jig out of scrap 2x4 like I have. I will post some detailed pics of the jig when I get home tomorrow. Also I have been told that more curve in the frame is better than not enough (this will make more sense when you start welding)
You are going to have to reskin the door with new aluminum because the rivet holes won't match up. Its not too expensive like around $250. Check out kips thread on door repair (arrowood)
__________________

__________________
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #451
1 Rivet Member
 
1963 30' Sovereign
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
marzboy - if we ever get to an Airstream gathering at the same time and place as you, boy do we owe you a few nice beverages! We are definitely following in your footsteps:

Ronco tanks - check
Sky Geeks for chemicals - check
Spare Tire Holder - check
Levelling Jacks - check

Question on installing the spare tire holder - Did you install your spare tire holder as I have roughed out in the attached photo? (Realize that some of the extra battery supports will have to go).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29-07-2012 2-28-31 PM_0002.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	749.0 KB
ID:	164124  
__________________
lunadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #452
Tool Hoarder
 
Currently Looking...
West , California
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 907
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadog View Post
marzboy - if we ever get to an Airstream gathering at the same time and place as you, boy do we owe you a few nice beverages! We are definitely following in your footsteps:

Ronco tanks - check
Sky Geeks for chemicals - check
Spare Tire Holder - check
Levelling Jacks - check

Question on installing the spare tire holder - Did you install your spare tire holder as I have roughed out in the attached photo? (Realize that some of the extra battery supports will have to go).
Lunadog
That is exactly where I placed mine. It is pretty nice I must say. I actually borrowed the idea from Aarowood. It helps that you dont have the subfloor in yet. I would make a template of the inner area that will be above (under the subfloor) the tire between the frame rails. I glued 1/4 " foam insulation board and then covered it with aluminum. Then I seales on all sides with Trempro.
Would love to see it in person someday!
__________________
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #453
1 Rivet Member
 
1963 30' Sovereign
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Thanks for this. What Tempro product did you use to seal the wheel well cavity; those guys make a raft of sealants and barrier coats? Maybe we'll see you out-and-about next year; we're hoping to be on-the-road to celebrate the 50th anniversary of out trailer.
__________________
lunadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #454
Tool Hoarder
 
Currently Looking...
West , California
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 907
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadog View Post
Thanks for this. What Tempro product did you use to seal the wheel well cavity; those guys make a raft of sealants and barrier coats? Maybe we'll see you out-and-about next year; we're hoping to be on-the-road to celebrate the 50th anniversary of out trailer.
I used this to seal. If you get to Southern California I will buy you a drink! Good luck on your goal!
__________________
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #455
1 Rivet Member
 
1963 30' Sovereign
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Thanks for the details. Everyone gets to Southern California; suggest you keep ice and margarita mix on hand. Thanks and warm regards.
__________________
lunadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #456
Rivet Master
 
worldinchaos's Avatar
 
1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasideSteph View Post
Attachment 164013

Funny how the cracks are right where the rivets mount, and why was it riveted in such a weak spot?? Removed inside sheets and insulation, dreading removing the door off the hinge but the hinge needs work anyway. My welder told me I'd need to remove the outer skin too, if I didn't want it marred in the process. Not looking forward to investing in the Olympic rivet shaver, but I suppose I'll need it in the inventory anyway.
The shaver and the cyclo were definitely two purchases in this project where I had the rare experience of not being excited to buy a tool. It was frustrating to spend that much, but the shaver has been invaluable. It is simple, well-constructed, and long lasting. Plus, you always end up replacing 10x as many rivets as you expect.
__________________
- Peter (and Marie)
TAC CA-15

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #457
Rivet Master
 
worldinchaos's Avatar
 
1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadog View Post
Thanks for the details. Everyone gets to Southern California; suggest you keep ice and margarita mix on hand. Thanks and warm regards.
Party at Javier's?

I'm down. Just tell me when. I'll load up the fridge with drinks and bring the trailer.

And you think I'm joking.
__________________
- Peter (and Marie)
TAC CA-15

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #458
Aluminum Addict
 
SeasideSteph's Avatar
 
1970 31' Sovereign
Rockport , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 32
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos

The shaver and the cyclo were definitely two purchases in this project where I had the rare experience of not being excited to buy a tool. It was frustrating to spend that much, but the shaver has been invaluable. It is simple, well-constructed, and long lasting. Plus, you always end up replacing 10x as many rivets as you expect.
Well at least I know I'm not alone on that. Thanks for assuring me of the value, it does seem rather expensive for that lil thing. But I'd rather have a pretty door, and I do think I have more rivets to do than I want to admit. (plus I just keep telling myself most gals my age spend way more that that on shoes and purses; )
__________________
SeasideSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #459
Tool Hoarder
 
Currently Looking...
West , California
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 907
Images: 3
@Lunadog Absolutly! Would love to have a cocktail with all yall!
@Peter Sounds like someone needs to get a SoCal rally going....
@Seasidesteph The shaver is a great tool, so is s the cyclo, I love them. The cyclo also does a great job taking the swirl marks out of the paint an my tow vehicle.

I suffered a minor set back on my door frame. While cleaning and removeing some tuff rivets I broke the frame again. Oh well back to the welder....
__________________
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #460
Rivet Master
 
Wabbiteer's Avatar
 
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,912
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 2
To frame it mildly, he was framed, again!

That sure looks like a good item to etch, passivate and Allodine.
__________________

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #461
Tool Hoarder
 
Currently Looking...
West , California
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 907
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
To frame it mildly, he was framed, again!

That sure looks like a good item to etch, passivate and Allodine.
I dont think Alumiprep 33 can be used on my sand cast aluminum frame, but I could be wrong. It does work on aluminum sheet quite nicely though.
__________________
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #462
Tool Hoarder
 
Currently Looking...
West , California
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 907
Images: 3
Finally got the door frame back from my welder. Thankfully it wasent 107 in my driveway so I was able to rebuild my outer door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8200957.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	166318   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8200959.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	166319  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8200967.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	166320   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8200968.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	166321  

__________________

__________________
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1965, 1965 sovereign, buck rivet, frame repair, olympic rivet, shell off


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'63 Overlander Rehab.... tgregory13 1960 - 1964 Overlander 43 12-09-2010 10:40 AM
Need Rehab Buddy for Hubby/Anywhere in US! goobygirl General Repair Forum 6 09-17-2009 01:47 AM
Getting Assistance in Rehab? goobygirl General Interior Topics 9 09-16-2009 12:22 AM
First Use Rehab Merry Stahel General Interior Topics 16 11-18-2006 08:41 PM
6 metre interior rehab? Janet H All Argosy Trailers 2 09-24-2003 05:17 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.