Old 04-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #379
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Maybe unwanted opinion here but I'm not fond of the dueling doors on the floor plan you show, over time it looks like a good place for nicked knuckles, barefoot arch & knee scrapes and general cussedness in a 27"~ inch aisle. I see it makes the best sense for designing and building it, but two people trying to hustle getting ready would likely be playing door wars too. No chance the shower door could face rearward?

I like the sliding door on the rear bath 1972 - I'm pretty sure I will incorporate a pocket door to separate bath & sleeping areas from the rest of the trailer. And a nicer shower area is probably the #1 priority for us as far as livability goes, it may be a dinky door that follows the shell curve but the pan itself will have some room.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #380
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
@ Peter and Wabbiteer the doors are just preliminary. I will probably do pocket doors but I need to get final dimensions. As I said before very rough draft. The bed will probably be a queen size, and yes alot of counter space. All opinions are always welcome.
@Tinman my trailer is not that wide either so they will be small bathrooms.
@ Marc The wheel wells are between the middle two windows. The toilet is on the curb side so I can have the toilet drop into the deep side of the tank below. The shower needs to be curb side to tie into all the plumbing that is on that side along with the drains and vents. Yes 30' is alot of area inside and out. twice the amount of work as most peoples trailers
Im not sure about martinis but it does sort of look like a keg, maybe a tap in the trunk?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #381
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
@ Peter and Wabbiteer the doors are just preliminary. I will probably do pocket doors but I need to get final dimensions. As I said before very rough draft. The bed will probably be a queen size, and yes alot of counter space. All opinions are always welcome.
@Tinman my trailer is not that wide either so they will be small bathrooms.
@ Marc The wheel wells are between the middle two windows. The toilet is on the curb side so I can have the toilet drop into the deep side of the tank below. The shower needs to be curb side to tie into all the plumbing that is on that side along with the drains and vents. Yes 30' is alot of area inside and out. twice the amount of work as most peoples trailers
Im not sure about martinis but it does sort of look like a keg, maybe a tap in the trunk?
Correction the toilet needs to be on the street side
Old 04-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #382
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Not sure about the frame on your vintage but on my 1960 I have a main frame rail between where you're showing your toilet and the where the tank would be. And maybe you've already solved that problem (?).

Thanks for posting your project.

MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #383
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Not sure about the frame on your vintage but on my 1960 I have a main frame rail between where you're showing your toilet and the where the tank would be. And maybe you've already solved that problem (?).

Thanks for posting your project.

MarkR
The frame rail will not be an issue. I still havent finalized the exact dimensions, this is just a mock up. I am still getting use to the program. Once I get the insulation in the walls I am going to do some precise measurements, changes will be sure to follow.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #384
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
So just to add my two cents...Maybe you should think about a little counter space next to your stove. Sink could be moved over just a little and it will give you a place to quickly put down a hot pot, stir spoon, glass of wine while cooking. You won't often find a stove without a little counter next to it.
You've come a long way from the beginning of this thread!!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #385
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyoD
So just to add my two cents...Maybe you should think about a little counter space next to your stove. Sink could be moved over just a little and it will give you a place to quickly put down a hot pot, stir spoon, glass of wine while cooking. You won't often find a stove without a little counter next to it.
You've come a long way from the beginning of this thread!!!!
Funny you should say that. I was looking at the design this morning thinking that very thing, good call. This design was mostly done to get perspective. Also I needed to get a tenitave placement of lights and outlets.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #386
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Thirty footer

Hi-Just started a rehab on a 67 thirty footer, will follow you closely. Looks like you are doing a really nice job-I am on the right coast, on the Gulf in north Florida-We probably have pretty much the same weather, albeit more rain here, but not ever very cold. Lets us spend a lot more time on our projects witout having to stop for winter. Rolland
Old 04-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #387
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland View Post
Hi-Just started a rehab on a 67 thirty footer, will follow you closely. Looks like you are doing a really nice job-I am on the right coast, on the Gulf in north Florida-We probably have pretty much the same weather, albeit more rain here, but not ever very cold. Lets us spend a lot more time on our projects witout having to stop for winter. Rolland
HI Rolland welcome! I am in the process of sealing leaks and insulation. Very tedious. So are you going shell on/ off? Do you have a plan for the interior? I'll check your profile for status. You are welcome to ask me anything you wish, I will try to point you in the right(ish) direction.
Socal weather is usually pretty good, but it is suppose to rain the next few days, so back to sealing rivets!!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #388
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
West Richland , Washington
So you are sealing rivets. That is on my list to do and was wondering what process are you planning to use? I'm thinking a tube a Tempro and lots of time.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #389
3 Rivet Member

salzburg , salzburg
sealing rivets? is this done from the inside or outside? and how important is it to do this do they usually leak?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #390
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
@JIMandPJ I am using Capitan Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure I believe it is like Acrylic-R . It is pretty easy to use.
@mrgreen It is important to seal any leak you find. There are alot of people that seal inside and out. I have read pros and cons on both. If I find a rivet that is loose I just drill it and reinstall new rivet and sealant. But over time all rivets have the potential to leak.
Its suppose to rain for two days this week so we shall see how good this stuff works..
Old 04-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #391
3 Rivet Member

salzburg , salzburg
thanks for the answer, I've read about that captain tolleys and it seems good stuff, i've sealed my rivets from the inside with a flexible roofing sealant and i want to do the seams with the captain tolleys, also do you think i should remove all of the window frames and re-seal them (there's only four more to go!) or do you think digging out the old sealant and re-sealing in place would be enough?,
thanks.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #392
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreen View Post
thanks for the answer, I've read about that captain tolleys and it seems good stuff, i've sealed my rivets from the inside with a flexible roofing sealant and i want to do the seams with the captain tolleys, also do you think i should remove all of the window frames and re-seal them (there's only four more to go!) or do you think digging out the old sealant and re-sealing in place would be enough?,
thanks.
I would keep the old frames in place unless it is leaking from everyplace on that window. A lot of times changeing the gaskets, resealing (which should be done every 5 yrs or so) the window seams and rivets should be enough.

Tags
1965, 1965 sovereign, buck rivet, frame repair, olympic rivet, shell off