Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #267
RGates
 
Randy Gates's Avatar
 
1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 124
Hi Marzboy,
Nice work. Just a note. I redid my windows in my '68 Globetrotter, especially the big guys, front and rear. The '68 needed the steel edgings. I found and used a great tool from Harbor Freight(is one up in Camarillo,CA). It is a mini chop saw, match it with their kit of metal cutting blades and your off to the races. It may look goofy but if patient it works beautifully. Also was excellent on rebuilding screens.
__________________

__________________
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #268
Tool Hoarder
 
Currently Looking...
West , California
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 907
Images: 3
@ Randy any excuse to buy a new tool. Very cool, I do lots of damage at the Harbor Freight near my house.
@Frank I am definatly not as skilled as you. I need a guide, the corners on the frame are not enough. Don't ask me how I know....
__________________

__________________
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #269
vintage travelers
 
scorpiontimo's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 395
Images: 20
Blog Entries: 1
Good progress looking good marzbo I have aquestion I did not notice did you also bolt the body through the floor to the frame ? little late on question but I am old and slow sort of.
__________________
HAPPY CAMPING IS WHERE THE SLIVER LEADS US
scorpiontimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #270
Tool Hoarder
 
Currently Looking...
West , California
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 907
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontimo View Post
Good progress looking good marzbo I have aquestion I did not notice did you also bolt the body through the floor to the frame ? little late on question but I am old and slow sort of.
Hi scorpiontimo the bolts are part of a frame repair that I had to do. The rear street support was rusted completely thru. I cut the rear of the frame by 4 feet. I cut it at a 40 degree angle and butt welded it together. I boxed in a section of the repair added two steel plates and bolted it together (for extra security).
__________________
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #271
Tool Hoarder
 
Currently Looking...
West , California
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 907
Images: 3
Tried to finish my windows this week, unfortunately I broke both windows setting the glass in the butyl tape. So while I wait for new glass I thought I would try to install a Fantastic Vent. Getting the old vent was a PITA! It was buck riveted to the top and the rear rib. Didn't do such a great job at removing the rivets. Fortunately Kip (aerowood) hooked me up with some big rivets. Cleaned up and put gaskets on the exterior access doors. Also got the Astrodome lid, and the refer chimney collar riveted in place. I would have done both vents but VTS sent me the wrong interior color. Oh well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2060812.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	150543   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2070818.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	150544  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2070820.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	150545   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2070823.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	150546  

__________________
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #272
Top
Always learning
 
Top's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,779
Images: 24
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Nice. What's that clear fluid stuff on the vents?
__________________
Lance

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #273
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar

 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,031
Images: 9
Great work..

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Tried to finish my windows this week, unfortunately I broke both windows setting the glass in the butyl tape. So while I wait for new glass I thought I would try to install a Fantastic Vent. Getting the old vent was a PITA! It was buck riveted to the top and the rear rib. Didn't do such a great job at removing the rivets. Fortunately Kip (aerowood) hooked me up with some big rivets. Cleaned up and put gaskets on the exterior access doors. Also got the Astrodome lid, and the refer chimney collar riveted in place. I would have done both vents but VTS sent me the wrong interior color. Oh well...
This is a job we need to tackle in the future (vents) so it was good to see your post. Why did you decide on Fantastic over another brand and where did you get your gasket material if you don't mind? I was kind of a sick individual who enjoyed fixing up the windows and have come to dread the polishing part I haven't even started....would be willing to finish your windows if you want to install vents on ours !
Sandy
__________________
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #274
Tool Hoarder
 
Currently Looking...
West , California
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 907
Images: 3
@ Lance that clear liquid is what your people call rain. Since we in Southern Cali don't have rain I had to google it. It appears to just randomly fall from the sky! Weird.
@ Sandy sorry doll not a chance of that happening. Got two more windows and one vent to go and I am retiring!
I liked the Fantastic Vent mostly from reading the forums. most people seemed to like them. Plus VTS makes the low profile lids like the original. I also went with the all grey interior because I plan to reskin the interior with plain aluminum. I didnt use the gasket that it came with just lots and lots of Trempro.
__________________
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:34 AM   #275
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
Those Fantastic Vents must be slightly old stock, they stopped including the gasket about a year ago. You actually can order the FV in any color and any configurations through a distributor. They make clear, black, white, and grey lids. There also are white curbs as opposed to the grey we typically see. My standard order is the RBT6000, with grey curb, high profile(not actually high, just gives a tighter fit into the opening) with grey flat lid. I really like the rain sensor and feel it is a worthy splurge. The original Herh lids will fit right over the flat lid if you just cannot live with the plastic lid look.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #276
Tool Hoarder
 
Currently Looking...
West , California
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 907
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Those Fantastic Vents must be slightly old stock, they stopped including the gasket about a year ago. You actually can order the FV in any color and any configurations through a distributor. They make clear, black, white, and grey lids. There also are white curbs as opposed to the grey we typically see. My standard order is the RBT6000, with grey curb, high profile(not actually high, just gives a tighter fit into the opening) with grey flat lid. I really like the rain sensor and feel it is a worthy splurge. The original Herh lids will fit right over the flat lid if you just cannot live with the plastic lid look.
Thanks Frank that is good to know. I went with the RBT 6000, it wasn't too much more. Besides it was a Christmas present! Have you thought about adding an ecommerce page to your site? That way the rest of us could order from some of you commercial vendors. Just a thought..
__________________
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #277
Rivet Master
 
3Ms75Argosy's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,341
Images: 7
Frank and Marz.. thanks a bazilion for making it clear on what FF to order... I second the ecom page... I'd order too!
Marc
__________________
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #278
Tool Hoarder
 
Currently Looking...
West , California
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 907
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Frank and Marz.. thanks a bazilion for making it clear on what FF to order... I second the ecom page... I'd order too!
Marc
They are pretty sweet, cant wait to re wire and see if they work.
__________________
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #279
Tool Hoarder
 
Currently Looking...
West , California
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 907
Images: 3
So I am going over pictures and I just thought I would share how far Ive come. In order of appearance:
1)Arrival
2)Separation
3)Reunion
4)Reattached (with new window and power jack)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6130934.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	150647   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB280004.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	150648  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA090846.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	150649   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2090789.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	150650  

__________________
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #280
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar

 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,031
Images: 9
Retiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
@ Lance that clear liquid is what your people call rain. Since we in Southern Cali don't have rain I had to google it. It appears to just randomly fall from the sky! Weird.
@ Sandy sorry doll not a chance of that happening. Got two more windows and one vent to go and I am retiring!
I liked the Fantastic Vent mostly from reading the forums. most people seemed to like them. Plus VTS makes the low profile lids like the original. I also went with the all grey interior because I plan to reskin the interior with plain aluminum. I didnt use the gasket that it came with just lots and lots of Trempro.
Retiring? Just when you are getting your technique down on the windows !
Now you need to buy another AS or two so you can stay in practice.

We will be looking at the vents in the near future among other projects. Keep posting so I can keep learning.
Sandy
__________________

__________________
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1965, 1965 sovereign, buck rivet, frame repair, olympic rivet, shell off


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'63 Overlander Rehab.... tgregory13 1960 - 1964 Overlander 43 12-09-2010 10:40 AM
Need Rehab Buddy for Hubby/Anywhere in US! goobygirl General Repair Forum 6 09-17-2009 01:47 AM
Getting Assistance in Rehab? goobygirl General Interior Topics 9 09-16-2009 12:22 AM
First Use Rehab Merry Stahel General Interior Topics 16 11-18-2006 08:41 PM
6 metre interior rehab? Janet H All Argosy Trailers 2 09-24-2003 05:17 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.