Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #341
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
@ Andy actually I got my lights (and a bunch of other stuff) from you! Greg and I got into a little debate over LED vs bulb but style beat function. The LEDs at your shop are nice and about the same price as the bulbs. But just cant get past the look of LEDs on a vintage trailer. To each his own.
@ Frank Amen brother!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #342

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Hey Marzboy...congrats on the amazing progress!! Excited to see you're reaching the "I smell elephant burger" phase of a process that's not quick, not easy but oh so rewarding!! Totally agree re: Greg @ Inland RV....he's awesome. Hope to see you on the road sometime soon
M
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #343
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by monah View Post
Hey Marzboy...congrats on the amazing progress!! Excited to see you're reaching the "I smell elephant burger" phase of a process that's not quick, not easy but oh so rewarding!! Totally agree re: Greg @ Inland RV....he's awesome. Hope to see you on the road sometime soon
M
Hey lady! Glad to hear from you. Cant imagine anything more time consuming and hard as those damn windows
Yep that elephant burger is almost ready, hope to see you and your man out there! Thanks again for checking in.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #344
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Doing it! Got the last of the foam strips glued in today. Started cutting and laying in the Prodex. It was raining today and I discovered a couple leaks. Tomorrow I will be sealing the shell and taking care of the leaks before I start tapeing the insulation joints.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3250789.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	154322   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3250793.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	154323  

Name:	P3250794.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	154324  
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #345
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
So far, the least fun part of my whole rebuild was installing/taping the insulation. Hope yours goes well - it's looking good!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #346
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
So far, the least fun part of my whole rebuild was installing/taping the insulation. Hope yours goes well - it's looking good!
Thanks Vernon, the windows were my least favorite. So far I think the insulatuion isnt that bad. BUT...I havent started tapeing.
Any and all advice appreciated.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #347
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Looking good Marz! I liked the insulating because it meant the inside skin wasn't far behind, taping the seams went very fast. You are getting closer every day!!!

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #348
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Thanks Tinman, I am chasing down the weiring and electrical soon. I need to begin the design of the electrical before I even think about the interior walls. Electrical is not my strong suit. I actually enjoy repetitive tasks like tapeing. Its kinda hypnotic
Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #349
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Andy,

It is not a simple, remove the lens, replace the $1.09 bulb, and put the lens back. The whole unit must be replaced.
If anybody has LED units with dead diodes on them, I'd sure love to take a look at them. I repair / manufacture circuit boards for pinball machines, and LED's are pretty darned common for these machines these days. Same general discussions there too, as LED's are aesthetically very different. Though they tend to look better if you have units that properly diffuse the LED's, and gives you a more even lighting without clearly distinguishable LED's within the housing.

If I can figure out what makes certain units fail, I can help you guys figure out how to repair them, or which ones should just be avoided. More often than not, I find that cheapo LED units in other markets (yard/garden lamps, toys, etc...) fail due to cheap materials such as bare steel battery contacts and things like that.

At the same time, if you don't want LED's, there are some simple upgrades you can do on your existing lights to increase the brightness. The single biggest one is to paint the inside of the bulb housing with a silver paint, preferably one of those 'bumper chrome' types. I've done it on a number of cars in the past, and it makes a huge difference in increasing brightness but keeping the same tone and feel to the lamp.

-Hans
HHaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #350
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Thanks Tinman, I am chasing down the weiring and electrical soon. I need to begin the design of the electrical before I even think about the interior walls. Electrical is not my strong suit. I actually enjoy repetitive tasks like tapeing. Its kinda hypnotic
It was a challenge to figure out outlet and lite locations, I built some rough cabinets out of cardboard to help get things where we wanted them. Most all of us on here have a few things in our project that we are not to excited or knowledgeable about doing but it is good to know most answers can be found here! I liked the new look of the insulation inside even if it is a while before the skins go back, it seemed so long that the trailer did not change even though it seems we work on them all the time! Toastie had some good wiring diagrams on his project if you read through, I can look up the link if you want, I think I have a few of his pages tagged.

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #351
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
It was a challenge to figure out outlet and lite locations, I built some rough cabinets out of cardboard to help get things where we wanted them. Most all of us on here have a few things in our project that we are not to excited or knowledgeable about doing but it is good to know most answers can be found here! I liked the new look of the insulation inside even if it is a while before the skins go back, it seemed so long that the trailer did not change even though it seems we work on them all the time! Toastie had some good wiring diagrams on his project if you read through, I can look up the link if you want, I think I have a few of his pages tagged.
I feel like I am on a never ending tread mill. I have to jump back and forth between jobs depending on time weather and $$$. So I dont get the job done on to the next feeling. I have to keep bouncing around, then all of a sudden 10 tasks get wrapped. Im crazy.
I was going to mock up a electrical diagram and measure the inside of the trailer to get a sense of scale. Then I will make some cardboard mock up cabinets. There are a few threads I stalk and Toastie is one for sure. If any one has any advise on wiring/electrical I'm all ears.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #352
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Takin down the little crap on the shell so I can finish the insulation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3180791.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	154394   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3260792.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	154395  

Name:	P3260794.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	154396  
Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #353

South Lake Tahoe , California
Quote:
I feel like I am on a never ending tread mill. I have to jump back and forth between jobs depending on time weather and $$$. So I dont get the job done on to the next feeling. I have to keep bouncing around, then all of a sudden 10 tasks get wrapped. Im crazy.
I was going to mock up a electrical diagram and measure the inside of the trailer to get a sense of scale. Then I will make some cardboard mock up cabinets. There are a few threads I stalk and Toastie is one for sure. If any one has any advise on wiring/electrical I'm all ears.
I found this thread the other day as a non member. I have been entertained and impressed by your progress. I joined the forum because I thought your electrical diagram and cabinet layout may be much easier if you use an architect's software program. I bought one when we had to rebuild our house. The learning curve is not bad and the program will do almost anything you want. You can lay out your room dimentions (trailer floor) even using a curved wall tool for the corners. Set a ceiling height, place and size windows and doors to match what you have in your trailer. Then add cabinets, countertops, stove, frig, etc. All items can be sized to match what you would use in a trailer. You can add furniture, bath fixtures, lights, switches, and then take a 3D walk through. All to scale. Try this to look at a program simimlar to what I used: Interior Design and Decorating Software - Home Designer Interiors The page has training videos listed under the SUPPORT heading so you can see if it might work for you. Price is $79.

Good luck with the rest, I'll be watching

John
loyer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #354
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyer57 View Post
I found this thread the other day as a non member. I have been entertained and impressed by your progress. I joined the forum because I thought your electrical diagram and cabinet layout may be much easier if you use an architect's software program. I bought one when we had to rebuild our house. The learning curve is not bad and the program will do almost anything you want. You can lay out your room dimentions (trailer floor) even using a curved wall tool for the corners. Set a ceiling height, place and size windows and doors to match what you have in your trailer. Then add cabinets, countertops, stove, frig, etc. All items can be sized to match what you would use in a trailer. You can add furniture, bath fixtures, lights, switches, and then take a 3D walk through. All to scale. Try this to look at a program simimlar to what I used: Interior Design and Decorating Software - Home Designer Interiors The page has training videos listed under the SUPPORT heading so you can see if it might work for you. Price is $79.

Good luck with the rest, I'll be watching

John
Wow John that is so cool of you, thanks! I started to try my luck at Goggle Sketch up, naaaaaa! Call me simple minded but I didn't get it. I was going to school (back in the olden days) for art and architecture but got side tracked. Oh well re doing an Airstream is like getting a PHD right?
I will check it thanks again. Hows the snow at Kirkwood?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #355
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Due to my inexperience in all things trailer and a little misunderstanding with a vendor, I had to remove the A/C unit to add a drip kit. File under rookie mistake and celebrate with several shots of Tequila
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3270801.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	154497   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3270807.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	154498  

Name:	P3270804.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	154499   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3270809.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	154500  

Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #356
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
troy , Indiana
Red face hole in the floor

Hi marzboy i hope you respond, I am down to my rotten floor in back trying to remove it dont want a major renovation ie body off how can i get that ply wood out and replace it in the back 3-4 feet of trailer thanks in advance for any shared knowledge
hondasub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #357
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Hi HondaSub go to the floor and frame section in the forums and search "shell on" there should be lots of info for you. I like this guys thread I got a lot out of it. Good luck!!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #358
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Oh and here is my finished custom patch, enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3270810.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	154507  
Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #359
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Oh and here is my finished custom patch, enjoy!
Nice. Looks sorta like Florida, but no panhandle!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #360

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage

Nice. Looks sorta like Florida, but no panhandle!
I was thinking California since it looks like Nevada to the right of it.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1965, 1965 sovereign, buck rivet, frame repair, olympic rivet, shell off