Old 05-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #29
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Roof vent shroud removed

So, I had a little mishap when removing the 14"x26" roof vent shroud. I had spent about 1/2 hour removing the old silicone thinking it needed to be completely removed, so I could re-vulkem and then re-install.... and then, uh oh. I got a little sloppy with the rivet removal tool (still not sure if I like it)
It tends to walk if you don't have it PERFECT.

So now I have some really large holes, almost double the #21 drill bit.
What to do? I TOTALLY blew it.
Also, the roof vent flange does not look very good at this point ( It looks pretty butchered).
I'm debating installing a patch, and then getting a new roof vent shroud.

What do you think...
I'll add some pictures, although I'm pretty embarrassed at my poor craftsmanship.

In addition, I have removed all the curbside front lower panel rivets (those came out great, only 1 or 2 don't hold a 5/32" cleco.
I figured that was a good way to determine the size of rivet that needed to fill the hole. Any suggestions on determining the right size rivet?

Thanks in advance,

TIMK

TAC CA-77
REDSLED88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Post a pic every one has messed up a hole or two. This is going to be one of the topics that I will give repair procedures for at this years FCU Restoration rally

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #31
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Not proud of it, but here it is

Well, many are "sloppy" to say the least, and I pretty much beat myself up over it all night... poor poor worksmanship on my part.
And one is a "double" I guess you could say... ok two.

Anywho, thanks for the tip, I may try to use an 3/16" A rivet and see if it fills the hole, if not then I can try the "Dollar/Dime".

Sorry, I'll be at Disneyland with my family during the FCU rally, but thanks for the information ( I would love to see some of your work)

Let me know what ya'll think,
Thanks in advance,

TIMK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures 062.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	157315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures 061.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	157316  

Name:	Pictures 063.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	157317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures 064.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	157318  

TAC CA-77
Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #32
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSLED88 View Post
Well, many are "sloppy" to say the least, and I pretty much beat myself up over it all night... poor poor worksmanship on my part.
And one is a "double" I guess you could say... ok two.

Anywho, thanks for the tip, I may try to use an 3/16" A rivet and see if it fills the hole, if not then I can try the "Dollar/Dime".

Sorry, I'll be at Disneyland with my family during the FCU rally, but thanks for the information ( I would love to see some of your work)

Let me know what ya'll think,
Thanks in advance,

TIMK
Dont take it too hard, we all get a few of those. When I replaced my fans the new fan holes were a different pattern. I sealed everything really good with Tempro reinstalled the fantastic fans and moved on.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #33
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Patch worthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Dont take it too hard, we all get a few of those. When I replaced my fans the new fan holes were a different pattern. I sealed everything really good with Tempro reinstalled the fantastic fans and moved on.
What do you think Marz? Patch worthy double sized holes? or just drill out with #10 bit, fill with 3/16" soft "A" rivets and trempro like crazy?

Do they make a head larger than the standard?

Thanks in advance,
TIMK

TAC CA-77
Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Just drill them up to 3/16 and press on. The rivet number would be MS20470A6-X. On length I generally order a long one like a -10 or -16 and then just cut them to length. An "A" rivet will expand to fill huge holes. Leave about 5/16 protrusion on the back side. If the rivet folds over like a nail then it was to long.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Congrats Redsled on your 'trotter! I am picking one up on Friday that the PO started and I bought it and will finish it out. I am licky, the floor has already been replaced in mine.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #36
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
What do you think Marz? Patch worthy double sized holes? or just drill out with #10 bit, fill with 3/16" soft "A" rivets and trempro like crazy?

Do they make a head larger than the standard?

Thanks in advance,
TIMK
Listen to Kips sage advice. Dont get too consumed in any one phase, trust me I know. Press on soldier!!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #37
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Congrats Redsled on your 'trotter! I am picking one up on Friday that the PO started and I bought it and will finish it out. I am licky, the floor has already been replaced in mine.
Good luck, yeah it helps when the PO does any work toward your goal.
Mine was totally gutted, so I figured it saved me about 4-6 days of work.
Yeah, lucky on the floor. I'm glad I have to do mine though, because I want to POR15 it and then install a new grey water tank, plus check all the usual wear spots in the rear and on the outriggers. I will change my axel, just now right now, but at least I can get good and familiar with her.

Start a thread when you get started, I'd love to follow.... brothers in arms! HERE HERE!!!!

Post some pics for sure,

TIMK

TAC CA-77
Old 05-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #38
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Gettin it ON!

Ok, so I was so pissed at myself for sloppy rivet removal that I turned into a tasmanian devil... here's what I've done so far.

Continued to strip the interior, got to the point of half way on the ceiling.

I've set up scaffolding on both sides with planks so I can begin work on the roof. (Thank you Dusty my neighbor who said I have 2 months, and then he needs it back)

I've ordered a Dewalt DWP849X variable speed 7-9" polisher, all the needed wheels, bars and adapter from Caswells. (Shari from Inside/Out has the technique down it seems, so I went with her recommendation)

I've ordered my Fan Fan from VTS, along with more Trempro, Cleco's, Amber & Red side marker lights ( I must say, they look pretty close to the original Grotelite 233), If they don't fit I've got a lead on some replacement Grote's that look spot on also (Marz, let me know if you need some, I'll see if they fit and take more pics), Rivet cutter and some parabond I believe.

I also ordered my Rivet gun kit today (Econ. from ATS... I like it because it had multiple bucking bars and offset rivet sets as well)

Also ordered solid rivets from aircraft spruce (Thanks Aerowood for the rivet lesson, I ordered just a little of everything to cover my bases)

I also ordered my refer vent cover from Inland, along with olympics. Still need actual interior refer vent for '65... not sure if I want to pay Inland $350.

After all the "how to fill a large rivet hole" discusstion I decided to patch the front 14"x26", and install 2 Fan Fans, one in front and one in existing 14"x14" rear. Now the patch with be made of Alclad T2025 .032? Help me if I'm wrong... still need to find sheeting.
I have a blue collar about 45 minutes from me, maybe they have some.

Heres a couple pics!

Thanks in advance,
TIMK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 546.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	157456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 545.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	157457  

TAC CA-77
Old 05-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Ok, so I was so pissed at myself for sloppy rivet removal that I turned into a tasmanian devil... here's what I've done so far.

Continued to strip the interior, got to the point of half way on the ceiling.

I've set up scaffolding on both sides with planks so I can begin work on the roof. (Thank you Dusty my neighbor who said I have 2 months, and then he needs it back)

I've ordered a Dewalt DWP849X variable speed 7-9" polisher, all the needed wheels, bars and adapter from Caswells. (Shari from Inside/Out has the technique down it seems, so I went with her recommendation)

I've ordered my Fan Fan from VTS, along with more Trempro, Cleco's, Amber & Red side marker lights ( I must say, they look pretty close to the original Grotelite 233), If they don't fit I've got a lead on some replacement Grote's that look spot on also (Marz, let me know if you need some, I'll see if they fit and take more pics), Rivet cutter and some parabond I believe.

I also ordered my Rivet gun kit today (Econ. from ATS... I like it because it had multiple bucking bars and offset rivet sets as well)

Also ordered solid rivets from aircraft spruce (Thanks Aerowood for the rivet lesson, I ordered just a little of everything to cover my bases)

I also ordered my refer vent cover from Inland, along with olympics. Still need actual interior refer vent for '65... not sure if I want to pay Inland $350.

After all the "how to fill a large rivet hole" discusstion I decided to patch the front 14"x26", and install 2 Fan Fans, one in front and one in existing 14"x14" rear. Now the patch with be made of Alclad T2025 .032? Help me if I'm wrong... still need to find sheeting.
I have a blue collar about 45 minutes from me, maybe they have some.

Heres a couple pics!

Thanks in advance,
TIMK
Glad to hear things are moving...

Yeah, Alclad 2024 T3 .032 should do it. I bought a small piece from VTS, but you can get larger quantities here: https://www.airpartsinc.com/shopexd.asp?id=208

I would suggest thinking about what possible uses you could have for it first, and then order enough all at once. I keep finding that I need it for more patches, more projects, and more items (for instance, those custom compartment doors).

Sounds like you have quite a list of projects going. I'm jealous of that scaffolding and all that space.. keep it up!!!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #40
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
I feel ya

Yeah, I don't know how you do what you do at a storage unit place.
I get to just open my garage door and go to work.
But like most people, a million little jobs before you get it all tied together.

I have to replace front curbside lower exterior panel, patch the 14"x26" to make it a 14"x14" size for a Fan Fan, and also the interior to match.
I have to replace the panel just right of the door (below the window) and
then I think I'm going to do 5052 .025 for the belly (maybe, well see).
Oh yeah, and probably a custom "california" looking patch like Marz's, although a little bit bigger, covering the 4" heater exhaust hole on my roadside. I'll be going with a ceramic Suburban heater so I don't need the exhaust.

I'll try and keep my posts short also,
Thanks in advance,

TIMK

TAC CA-77
Old 05-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #41
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Yeah, I don't know how you do what you do at a storage unit place.
I get to just open my garage door and go to work.
But like most people, a million little jobs before you get it all tied together.

I have to replace front curbside lower exterior panel, patch the 14"x26" to make it a 14"x14" size for a Fan Fan, and also the interior to match.
I have to replace the panel just right of the door (below the window) and
then I think I'm going to do 5052 .025 for the belly (maybe, well see).
Oh yeah, and probably a custom "california" looking patch like Marz's, although a little bit bigger, covering the 4" heater exhaust hole on my roadside. I'll be going with a ceramic Suburban heater so I don't need the exhaust.

I'll try and keep my posts short also,
Thanks in advance,

TIMK
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Old 05-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #42
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Parts came in

So I received a bunch of different parts this week,
and have been playing with those. The best thing I've done so far this week has been a polishing a 24"x24" piece. I was trying to remove some heavy scratching, and began using a 12"x7/8" Sewn cotton wheel with Black Bar. It was powered by a DWP849X variable speed polisher. That thing scoots.
I've began polishing this section in hoping someone can tell me if this is clear coat or not, and also to remove the scratches. Unfortunately the scratches need a little more work, so I'll probably be wet sanding with 600, then 800, and then 1200, and then back to black. Also, it's a motivational piece!!!!

I'm continuing the stripping of the interior... I'm about 3/4 done with Zolatone removal, but it will need alot more work (including a light polish) before I remove the interior panels.

Peter, did you use the 3M SR Bristle Discs on the interior to remove zolatone around the windows?

The marker light lenses from VTS match the original Grotelite 233 amber and red for the '65 stock lights.
I also re-assembled and managed to save the rear Hehr Vent actuators (JB weld rules).

All the roof vents are cleaned and ready for compounding.
However, the refer vent collar was installed with 1/8" pop rivets.... Should I re-install with 1/8" pop rivets, or upsize to 5/32" and buck and be done with it? I'm afraid I may want to remove later, and am wondering if I should use the pop rivets for easy removal later?

So Is this clearcoat? (the "non" polished part)

TIMK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 059.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	158275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 060.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	158276