Old 11-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #337
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Originally Posted by azflycaster
This is a sad story. Too bad things are not working out the way you wanted them to. Have you looked into the possibility of storing the trailer untill you can get some of these other issues ironed out. You have alot of time and money invested in this project. You might come out better in the long run.
Yes, I've thought about that. If worse comes to worst, that's what I'll do, but I have a feeling that it would be quite a few years before I could come back to the project.

ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:53 PM   #338
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Please reconsider.

This just has bad mojo all over it. It feels like it will be one of those decisions you will look back on in a few years and wish you never sold it.

I'm sending you karma to help your decision....

1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:29 PM   #339
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
hello ankornuta , Ive not posted on your thread before now ,Great job !!
by the way ,but I must say that this decision while seemingly important right
at the moment may be the wrong one .I feel that a project with as much hard work and effort as you have invested and with so much progress is a
keeper .You may never get back to another trailer to do ,there will always
be some reason to not have this or that .I personally know quite a few people that regreted terribly getting rid of these kinds of things and never having
another chance .Now thats not to say you will not have one ,I certainly
don't know the situation ,but maybe you can store your trailer somewhere
for the future ,when you can get to it .From the 25 or more pages of threads
you certainly have some passion in this project as you have actively posted
to us regularly on your great progress .Id go for the storage ,not the sale. most always the one chance you have ,as now you won't have again .

All the best

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #340
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
Hard times

I can feel your pain. I have had some major issues with the locals with my Airstream project(s). It is a hard choice to make. My wife has always told me to sleep on it before making a major choice. Some times it takes a few nights sleep to sort out what to do.

This may sound stupid, but write out your options and list the pro's and con's of each. At our age I add a cost to the list also. Have the wife and kids help with the input to the list. Then when all is said and done, you know that you looked at all the options you could come up with. Some times you srtill go with the first gut reaction, but at least you had time to think it through before throwing in the towl.

Best of luck with your future and I will be pulling for you. I still love them two door models. Too bad you are so far away. I would try to store it for you.
Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #341
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Don't Panic....
Surely you can find a cheap storage place in that huge dry desert. Hang on to it for a year or two. These things take time....
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #342
Mom scared by aluminum
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Aaargh. Sorry to hear about this. If storage is the only issue, I have 43 acres up near Seligman that you're welcome to put it on for free. We could probably button it up pretty tightly so it would be ok. But I realize there may be other issues as well.

Hope you can still come to the Phoenix BBQ on Dec. 3. (See Rally Calendar).
Dave and Joanne
1963 Flying Cloud
2005 Silverado 4x4 3/4 Ton
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #343
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I share other's comments and wish you will give serious reconsideration on your decision. If I had the space, I'd store it for you in a heartbeat. No questions from me and no obligations on your part. If you do find a place, I offer my services, whatevcer they may be, to assist you in keeping this truely unique trailer that you've poured yourself into.

4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #344
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I also offer my services, wyatever they might be. I have 1/3 of an acre in Phoenix, but because of the way the house is sitting I can not get my trailer to the back yard. Mine is stored (covered) in El Mirage.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #345
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Dave, Brad & Rich, damn good of guys for offering to help like that. Ank has a great camper with a lot of time & effort in it. Maybe he can hang on for a year and things will look better. Good on ya. Karma to you all.

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #346
Rivet Master
1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Karma, Karma, Karma

Hang onto it... with the SOTR where it is, I feel what you are feeling. Give yourself some time before selling. One way cool trailer!!!
Rob, Zoe', Stanton, Bryce, Braedon and Finn Baker
Do you Listen to the
Plymouth, NY 13832
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders -

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:49 PM   #347
Rivet Master
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
I am sorry to hear you are facing this dilema. I was really enjoying following your progress on this project. I'd offer to help you out and take it off your hands, but I'd get killed if I bought a trailer for that amount of money, that far away from home, that still needs to be reassembled. That said, your trailer would be an excellent project that would be worth the price if conditions were different for me. I mean, how often do you run accross double door vintage trailers? I know of only 4 for sure:
- A '48 28' Whrilwind (at Airstream in Jackson Center)
- A '49 28' Whirlwind (now probably in Europe)
- A '54 29' Liner (wkerfoot's)
- Your '57 26' Cruiser

There may be more, but even so, they are just so rare.

Good Luck with your decision. Karma is on it's way.
Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:22 AM   #348
Addicted to Aluminum
1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
funny how quickly the forums turns into a support group... but i second the others. hold on to it! i started a shell off on my 59 18 footer well over a year ago. life changes and i didn't have the time to dedicate to it like i used to. it'll get done at some point. no rush! i know if i sold it now, i'd regret it. you get attached to these things, you know? storage is cheaper than therapy!

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #349
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts

Thanks everyone for your support!

I will keep on working on the trailer as I have time, but I am going to keep it listed for sale as well. If the right person comes along who wants to buy it, I'll sell it. For the time being, however, I don't *have* to sell it, so I'm only going to keep it listed on the classifieds on this site. I'm not putting it on eBay or anything like that.

Besides my day job, I own a software company which is really starting to take off. That has been one of the biggest consumers of my time lately (plus the new house) and the reason I may have to move soon (argh! The new house is just starting to look good!). The amount of time that this company is taking is only going to grow, too.

I know that if I sell this trailer it will sadden me, but I do enjoy the restoration process so if it sells, I know that there will eventually be a calmer time in my life where I can start another Airstream project. Maybe some day I'll even be like NorCal Bambi and have a whole yard full of projects I really hope that is the case, eventually, to be honest. Of course, I may have to wait until retirement for that... a mere 30 years away.

I'll continue to post my progress here as long as I have this trailer. Speaking of which, I finally got my new tire and wheel for the one that one flat because of rust on the wheel. But... I still haven't had time to put it back on. With any luck I can get that done this weekend.
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #350
1 Rivet Member
1960 28' Ambassador
Lomita , California
I to have never posted to this thread, however I have been an avid follower of your progress. I am at the tail end of the restoration of our 1960 28' Ambassador. After the incredible progress that you have made, I can't believe that you are willing to walk away from it. For purely selfish reasons, it's like a favorite show getting canceled before there is a conclusion. Please finish it.

mmth11053 is offline   Reply With Quote