Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2006, 07:07 AM   #401
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Andy,

It should say 12/3 or 12/2 w ground, at one time you could purchase 12/2 or 12/3 without ground and it was labeled just 12/2 or 12/3. I have not looked lately, but then you should use the grounded romex anyway. The only time I could possibly see using no ground is for a light fixture which doesn't have a ground. But why stock another type of romex, just don't use the ground. You may have noticed that each type of wire has a a different color outside, white, yellow, orange etc. This is to allow easy identification of the wire from a distance.

Bill
Looks like you're correct Bill... pretty much everything out there is "with ground". Also, the 12/2 is white, the 12/3 is yellow... even the "easy pull-out" boxes the stuff comes in are different colors.
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:09 AM   #402
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Boy oh boy you guys ,don't give all that info then say your not an electrician.
I hope one of you guys know whats up on your wiring job there .i have all
original electrical system on my 60 trwnd, works just dandy ,Id be makin certain what the correct wire and installation ,grounds and all should be ,Im sure the jobs posted are going good but make sure of it. No room for a mistake here.

Scott
LOL... thanks to everyone's help and guidance and some additional reading, I think I've got it all figured out now. Like I've said before, this is all pretty new to me, but I'm familiar with the concepts from classes in electronics cicuitry and so on.

But, like anyone should do (IMO), before I call this project "done" I am going to have a professional electrician inspect everything.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #403
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
I finished getting everything out of the trailer this morning, and I finally took off the interior front end-cap. Disturbingly however, after doing this, the front door won't close now. It's too tight by about 1/4" at the bottom. I'm wondering if the end cap was holding the shape of the body just enough to allow the door to close... Hmmm...

Well, no more time for the trailer now, I have to head to my grandparent's house for Thanksgiving dinner. Happy Thanksgiving everyone
Old 11-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #404
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
You guys have my pumpkin pie in a tizzy. 12/2 which has three wires, 12/3 which has four wires. Next thing it'll be 12/4 with 5 wires. I should have another piece of pie and maybe a turkey sammich to settle my stomach. I was just going to run a daisy chain series of frayed extension cords ducttaped to the walls. Bad idea I guess.

I'll just wait to see what Andrew does and copy it. Bring notes!
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:55 PM   #405
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
your trailer's long enough to have 2 switches for the roof lights! i thought a bout it in our 18... but well, i could just turn to the right and hit the first switch, so single runs for me it is!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #406
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaiden
I was just going to run a daisy chain series of frayed extension cords ducttaped to the walls. Bad idea I guess.
LOL... that would be rad
Old 11-24-2006, 10:33 AM   #407
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
A while back you posted a question about putting in a large inverter. I found this chart recently that shows the amount of battery it would use to run various size devices. I thought it might help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverterchart.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	28973  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:03 PM   #408
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
A while back you posted a question about putting in a large inverter. I found this chart recently that shows the amount of battery it would use to run various size devices. I thought it might help.
Richard, this is a great chart and very useful. Thanks for posting this!

I didn't get too much done on the trailer this weekend. I thought I was going to, but with guests here from out of town and some other obligations I wound up only getting the front and rear interior end caps off, removed all of the rest of the insulation from those areas and some other bits, and I also ran one circuit; the one for the refrigerator.

I also realized that I won't be able to put the WFCO power center/charger/converter where I wanted to - under the fridge - because the wheel well takes up that space. So it looks like I'm going to put it in the front, to the curb-side, up by the fresh water tank.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #409
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
More Electrical Work

After spending part of the afternoon with a lot of the cool Airstream people here in Phoenix at DMaiden's house (great BBQ, btw, thanks!) I decided to go home and make use of the last hour or so of daylight and get some more work done on the electrical system.

I finally pulled out the rest of the old wiring after marking the places where I wanted to add outlets, modify lines to 12v instead of 110v, etc. I made use of some of the original markings (red ink in the photos) and added some of my own for new stuff (black ink in the photos). So after getting the old wiring pulled out, I managed to put the 110V wire in place for the curbside of the trailer. There are two circuits on that side; lights/outlets and one for the refrigerator. I haven't started on the 12v wiring yet, but that should be easier than pulling Romex through. Maybe I can get to that next weekend.

The trailer looks SO much cleaner and nicer with the old wiring out. And, it looks safer with the new wiring in. I haven't wired in the outlets or junction boxes yet, just running the lines for fit right now.

Considering the price of copper, I think I'm going to find a place to recycle the old wire that I've pulled out. Oh, and for anyone with a 1958 26' trailer, if you want to see what all of the wire looks like in your walls, I've included a picture of that as well

As always, even more pictures are available at: http://picasaweb.google.com/andrew.k...amCruiserPart2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3258.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	29314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3260.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	29315  

Name:	IMG_3262.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	29316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3264.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	29317  

Name:	IMG_3265.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	29318  
Old 12-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #410
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
We did have a cool time and the BBQ was great. Thanks Dave for hosting this. Next time we pick a new place, possibly right here. Sounds like we insired Andrew to make use of the weather and get some wiring done. Great to see more progress on the dual door Airstream.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:31 PM   #411
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
All are welcome for the BBQ. BTW Jerry called and left a message, he was running behind because of the 55mph speed limit in CA, but wished everyone the best. It was really great to meet you all and am looking forward to the Feb Rally of the Arizona New Mexico Colorado Utah Four Corners Unit (read the other post a minute ago).

In the meantime, Happy Holidays everyone.
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #412
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
damiden thanks for hosting the BBQ it was nice to meet you guys look forward to the rally..
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:08 AM   #413
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
i just saw this trailer posted in the classifieds. i'll be sad to see this thread end. thanks for sharing your experiences and good luck!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:05 AM   #414
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
WHAT HAPPENED? The classifieds say it sold... what happened there? Can you send negative karma to someone? If you sold that trailer I will find you and put you over my knee young man... I just spent many hours reading that thread and it ended like that? I feel cheap and used.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:55 AM   #415
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
WHAT HAPPENED? The classifieds say it sold... what happened there? Can you send negative karma to someone? If you sold that trailer I will find you and put you over my knee young man... I just spent many hours reading that thread and it ended like that? I feel cheap and used.
I met Andrew (ankornuta) last year around this time, seemed like a really nice guy. I am trying to remember what happened.

IIRC, after he had just moved from Phoenix to Scottsdale and found out his work was going to take him to San Francisco and he would not be able to have the trailer where he was going to live. Several of us emailed him about storing the trailer somewhere for a while, but he decided to sell it instead. I have not heard from him in about a year now, but if I can find his email address I will drop him a line. It is interesting that he now shows his location as New York. I wonder who bought the trailer. He had put a lot of work into it, but it still needed a lot more.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:22 AM   #416
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I inquired about it and he said a guy from Wyoming bought it. It is sad!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #417
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lander , Wyoming
The restore will continue

Perhaps not so bad. Andy had to move to New York and as such had no chance of continuing his restoration. My brother lives in Tucson and was nice enough to bring the trailer to me in Wy. The trailer has backtracked a bit. Andy did a great job but he was obviously limitted in his space and help. As such the trailer is once agaain frame off. I have been diligently working/welding on the frame (adding reinforcement and constructing tank cavities). New tandem Dexter axles with electrohydraulic brakes and new wheels have been installed (they look great!) There is still literally a ton of work to go!! All this is a first time for me but I have learned much and I am having fun (though it is more work than one can ever anticipate ). Winter has set in here and the work for now is at a standstill. Don't feel cheated. This 59 double door will see the road again in time. I plan on initiating a new thread in the spring with updates of my work so far and progress as the work proceeds. I am new to the forums but have reviewed many threads and learned a tremendous amount. What a tremendous resource this iis !!!. Thanks to Uwe, Carlos Ferguson and Tim Shepard who have guided me through some steps thus far via email. We also have a 64 overlander which is in nice original condition that we use for camping with our 2 girls ( age 4 & 5 ) currently. Ed
n2batr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #418
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2batr
Perhaps not so bad. Andy had to move to New York and as such had no chance of continuing his restoration. My brother lives in Tucson and was nice enough to bring the trailer to me in Wy. The trailer has backtracked a bit. Andy did a great job but he was obviously limitted in his space and help. As such the trailer is once agaain frame off. I have been diligently working/welding on the frame (adding reinforcement and constructing tank cavities). New tandem Dexter axles with electrohydraulic brakes and new wheels have been installed (they look great!) There is still literally a ton of work to go!! All this is a first time for me but I have learned much and I am having fun (though it is more work than one can ever anticipate ). Winter has set in here and the work for now is at a standstill. Don't feel cheated. This 59 double door will see the road again in time. I plan on initiating a new thread in the spring with updates of my work so far and progress as the work proceeds. I am new to the forums but have reviewed many threads and learned a tremendous amount. What a tremendous resource this iis !!!. Thanks to Uwe, Carlos Ferguson and Tim Shepard who have guided me through some steps thus far via email. We also have a 64 overlander which is in nice original condition that we use for camping with our 2 girls ( age 4 & 5 ) currently. Ed
Ed,

This is great news. Please join the WBCCI and attend the 2008 International Rally in Bozeman. We should park together, your 1958 two door and my 1954 two door. Mine won't be finished, but past the aluminum tent stage.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:14 AM   #419
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lander , Wyoming
Thumbs up

Bill, We will be going to the Int in Bozeman. We will probably be using the 64 overlander as I am sure the 58 will at best be an aluminum tent at that point. I still have to por 15 the frame, add insulation and the belly pan etc ,etc. be fore the shell is reattached. At any rate we plan on attending and would love to touch bases with you there. Ed
n2batr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #420
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2batr
Bill, We will be going to the Int in Bozeman. We will probably be using the 64 overlander as I am sure the 58 will at best be an aluminum tent at that point. I still have to por 15 the frame, add insulation and the belly pan etc ,etc. be fore the shell is reattached. At any rate we plan on attending and would love to touch bases with you there. Ed
Ed,

We will be there, just look for the Lincoln in the VAC parking section.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags