Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 AM   #253
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Brother, it is hotter that a witches t......out there right now! Don't even think of it tomorrow when its 115! Does somebody have a warehouse with A/C for this fella..I commend the effort and commitment.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #254
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
LOL... it's an addiction man. I just can't quit it!

Old 07-12-2006, 08:29 PM   #255
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Been in the high 90's and humidity by the quart around here the last month. It's been tough, but we've gotten several days' work completed. Hang in there bro, you'll get it done. Water, don't stop drinking that cool water. If you're not running to the 'Loo every hour, drink more water.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #256
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
I've been drinking plenty of water... and beer

Speaking of water, I'm down to just one more leak on my gray water tank. I just keep adding more silicon where I find leaks. Something tells me this isn't the best way to address the problem... any other ideas?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #257
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Unfortunately, I can't practice what I preach today. Temp is just below 100 and humidity is thru the roof. I did all of the outside I can stand today at work. No work on the Airstream today.

Ank, aren't your tanks all new plastic? Where are these leaks? Around the fittings? I accidentally cut a hole in the end of my fresh water tank while taking the old floor out. I took it over to the local RV place and had them patch it. If I knew then what I know now....Apparently the way to patch them is just to heat up a specific type of plastic and "weld" it to the tank. I don't know if it will work, but if the fittings are leaking, try some good old fashioned plumbers tape.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:44 PM   #258
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
My leaks have been where the plastic drain pipes go into the ABS holding tanks. What I did in these places is what the RV store told me to do:

1. Cut an appropriately sized hole in the holding tank
2. Insert this rubber "sleeve" type thing with a flange that is larger than the hole. The flange goes on both the inside and outside of the hole.
3. Insert the plastic pipes into the "sleeve" and C-clamp into place.
4. Silicone all around the flange

I've just added more silicone to the places that have leaked and they've stopped. But I'm concerned that they might start again; silicone doesn't seem like the best tool for the job, even though that's what was recommended. I was wondering what other people have used.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #259
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Leaks Fixed

I was pulling my hair out with these leaks on my holding tanks. The leaks were only occurring around where the drain or vent pipes connected into the holding tanks. I had been using "standard" white silicone to seal the joints in these places. However, that stuff didn't seem to create a great seal. I wound up pulling that off (with my hands! Scary!) and using roof patching tar. This worked wonders. Even totally full with significant pressure applied to the tanks they did not leak.

Now to secure the floor....
Old 07-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #260
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Crisis!

Uh oh... we found a house that we REALLY like. It's a 1959 Haver-designed ranch style house in Scottsdale, AZ. Really big with a pool and huge shadey yard and lots of built in birch furniture (like my trailer) and almost the same year as the trailer. Oh, and RV parking in the back.

So we're buying it. And that's where the problem comes in; we're going to have to move in September. And that means moving the trailer with the body and frame separated. I don't think I can get it put back together in that short amount of time because I have to secure the floor, insulate, get a whole new bellypan fabricated, installed, etc...

Any tips on how to move the body? Flatbed trailer?
Old 07-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #261
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I thought I was the only crazy one to move in the middle of a restoration - good luck - I'll let the frame off guys answer your question , but I would think a flat bed and a very well supported shell should work....

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #262
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Do you think four guys could lift the body by 4x4s attached to the supports?

Well, I should say "lift and carry".
Old 07-21-2006, 12:48 AM   #263
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Not a problem! Four are needed beacuse of the akward weighting of the object. 4 of us (2 men and 2 boys) moved a 10 foot secting with out any issues or sweat. Just make sure all of you are reading from the same page when you do this. That and all of you should walk the path (dry run) first.

I am going to bed now.....
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:38 AM   #264
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Not a problem! Four are needed beacuse of the akward weighting of the object. 4 of us (2 men and 2 boys) moved a 10 foot secting with out any issues or sweat. Just make sure all of you are reading from the same page when you do this. That and all of you should walk the path (dry run) first.

I am going to bed now.....
Well... this is a 24 foot section (the whole body, sans interior skin). I guess I'll try it. There may be a funny post on here in the near future with pictures of what a "dropped" Airstream body looks like!

So how much do you think the body weighs without interior skin or doors, but with glass? I'm guess between 700 and 800 pounds.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:53 AM   #265
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
Well... this is a 24 foot section (the whole body, sans interior skin). I guess I'll try it. There may be a funny post on here in the near future with pictures of what a "dropped" Airstream body looks like!

So how much do you think the body weighs without interior skin or doors, but with glass? I'm guess between 700 and 800 pounds.
Anyway you can back that flatbed trailer under the body?... If it is 800 LBS that would be a tough load for 4 guys to carry evenly and level.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #266
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Anyway you can back that flatbed trailer under the body?... If it is 800 LBS that would be a tough load for 4 guys to carry evenly and level.
Oh damn. You gave me a good (?) idea. I can just build my own flatbed, since I'm going to need it any how; in other words, I'll just bolt my wood down to my trailer frame which I need to do regardless and then back that up under the body and lower it down.

Once I get to the new house, I'll just jack the body back up again and pull the frame out to get the belly pan fabircated.

Okay... let's see if I can get the plywood secured to the frame this weekend without incurring a heat stroke!

Tags