Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2006, 06:06 AM   #301
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Quote:
My work area sure is a mess...
You should see my work area.........
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #302
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Yea, but the camper looks GREAT! And think about how nice everything will be when you get to the new house. Keep us posted!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #303
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Yea, but the camper looks GREAT! And think about how nice everything will be when you get to the new house. Keep us posted!

Jim
Thanks! And thanks for the encouragement.

The work area is no longer a mess because everything has been packed into the trailer in preparation for moving. It's so roomy in there, it was surprising to see what looked like a huge mess outside of the trailer actually fits with lots of extra room inside of the trailer.

I would take more pictures, but the camera battery is dead and the charger is packed in a box somewhere. Argh! Next weekend I am going to move the trailer to the new house. Then the weekend after that we move into the new house. I'm a little nervous about getting it into the RV Parking spot at the new house because it's entered through the alley, the gate is pretty narrow, and it involves a right angle. *sigh* I'm sure I'll get really good at backing the trailer up after doing that a few times. either that or I'll get really good at replacing sheets of aluminum skin....
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:48 PM   #304
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Good luck with the big move! I'm impressed your efforts and right on time.... now you have an airstream again. Don't forget to hook up your rear lights for the tow.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #305
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Ank, I wound up having to widen the gate into the backyard by about 2.5 feet make it easier to get the camper back there. The hard part was digging out the old posts sunk into all of that concrete. Then we had to rebuild the gate, then back fill the hole in the ground, then.....

The stuff we go thru for our hobbies. Good luck with it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #306
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Trailer Moved...

So I got the trailer over to the new house this Sunday. Towed it about 12/15 miles to the new place and had a FUN time getting it backed into the RV parking via the alley. There were literally three inches on either side of the trailer through the gate area. It took a driver and three "guiders" to get it in. I'm not happy with the location for the trailer, so I think I'm going to put a big double-gate in on the other side of the yard and use that area to park it. Then I can back it in right from the front instead of going through the alley.

All that aside, the trailer pulled beautifully to the new house and lo and behold, it didn't fall apart!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #307
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Our last house (24 St & Cactus) had an alley. We had a popup them and still had to unhitch it to get it in safely. The house we now have does not have an alley and no access to the backyard (1/3 acre) so we store at a commercial site. Congratulations on getting your "new" trailer to your "new" home!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #308
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Good luck with the big move! I'm impressed your efforts and right on time.... now you have an airstream again. Don't forget to hook up your rear lights for the tow.
I didn't feel like doing that, so I had a friend follow me very closely We kept in touch via cell phone the whole time. I wanted to make sure all the stuff I couldn't see on the trailer was looking good for this maiden voyage.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:08 PM   #309
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Congrats Ankornuta! Bet that's a releif to have that done. Now on to the other fun re-assembly stuff.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:52 AM   #310
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Moved and Pictures

I'm all moved into the new house now. This has been exhausting. Work on the trailer may start up again this weekend, or may have to wait a little longer because it seems like there's always something that needs to be done for the house.

On another note, I've uploaded all 467 pictures of my restoration so far to this new google web utility called "picasa web". It's pretty cool: http://picasaweb.google.com/andrew.k...iforniaCruiser
Old 09-28-2006, 08:46 AM   #311
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
ankornuta, Congrats on the finished move. Great detail on your restoration photos. I will be using some of them to help me decide what to do on the 55FC redesign. Best I've seen yet. Hope they keep coming as you continue your work.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #312
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Very well documented photos. My hat is off to you for all you have done to this unique two door. Having seen your old homestead, I hope you have more room to work on it at your new place. Seems it might just be about time for an in-person progress report.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #313
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Thanks for the kind words! I've got to get my newest photos posted and get all the "stuff" cleared out from inside the trailer. I definitely have more room to work at the new place, but it's harder (almost impossible. Not quite, but ALMOST) to get the trailer in and out of the yard through the alley. I think I'm going to put some big RV gates in the front yard, but it'll be a while before I'm taking the trailer out for weekend trips still (wiring, plumbing, insulation, flooring, interior furniture, propane lines, etc still left to be done).

Brad, you know you're always welcome to come by. Just give me a call sometime. I'm out in Scottsdale now.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:19 PM   #314
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Great Work

Great Job, but it's scaring me. I'm sitting in Redondo Beach right now with my 63 Flying Cloud hitched outside to my truck for the trip back to Tempe on Friday. It's filthy, has a couple of dents on top and the belly pan had to go bye bye as it was too ripped up to make the trip without dragging.

BUT, the guys at the RV place that packed/replaced my wheel bearings kept telling me what a classic it is, and work like yours gives me hope that it can turn into something to be proud of.

But I'm so scared. Soooooo scared.
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #315
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
It's probably good to be at least a little scared. There were several points in this project that I had to take a little shot of whisky in order to keep going

But it's really not that hard. I can't wait to get back to working on my project, but I've been so busy with the new house that I haven't had much time for the past few weeks. It's actually good weather right now in the Phoenix area for outside projects. I need to hurry up and take advantage of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaiden
Great Job, but it's scaring me. I'm sitting in Redondo Beach right now with my 63 Flying Cloud hitched outside to my truck for the trip back to Tempe on Friday. It's filthy, has a couple of dents on top and the belly pan had to go bye bye as it was too ripped up to make the trip without dragging.

BUT, the guys at the RV place that packed/replaced my wheel bearings kept telling me what a classic it is, and work like yours gives me hope that it can turn into something to be proud of.

But I'm so scared. Soooooo scared.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:29 PM   #316
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Hypothetically...

So, if I happened to be a little overextended on projects, including the new house, and wanted to sell my trailer, I'm wondering if it's even in sellable condition right now. The floor's in place, the body's on, it's been plumbed for black and gray water, has new holding tanks, etc.

I'm just worried that I'm not going to be able to get back to the project for a while because of other obligations and the damn thing is going to just rot in my yard.

Hmm...
Old 10-17-2006, 05:34 PM   #317
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
So, if I happened to be a little overextended on projects, including the new house, and wanted to sell my trailer, I'm wondering if it's even in sellable condition right now. The floor's in place, the body's on, it's been plumbed for black and gray water, has new holding tanks, etc.

I'm just worried that I'm not going to be able to get back to the project for a while because of other obligations and the damn thing is going to just rot in my yard.

Hmm...
You can sell anything. Having said that, you have a very unique trailer which you will never replace. You have the body on, not a lot of rain in Scottsdale to worry about damage. If you don't have time, let it sit. If you sell it you will probably regret the decision.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #318
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Don't sell it. You won't get much for it, not what you have put into it by far. Close it up and let it sit there collecting ideas. Sit in it from time to time, take a nap, read a little. Just hang out with it.
The day will come when you will get back to it or it will tell you it whats to leave home. But not yet....
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:43 PM   #319
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta

Hmm...
good advice above. Just take a couple of steps back, have a glass of Gentleman Jack and when you close your eyes at night dream of the crowd around it at your first rally. It's like a fine wine, it gets better as it ages. Of course I drink two buck chuck, so what do I know?

Just flipped through all your pictures. What an awesome job you're doing (of course, now I'm even more scared). If you want to feel better about yours, come on down to Tempe someday and take a look at my mess. I'm just going through the destruction phase.
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:56 PM   #320
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Do I need to come over there and tell you you need to keep it in person? You have so much of yourself into this truely unique trailer, it should stay with you. If you are loosing interest, then take a break. I did that with mine and after just two weeks I was back at it again with renewed interest. Sometimes you just need to walk away. Kind of like taking a vacation from working on your vacation vehicle.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.

Tags