Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member
 
1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 144
Fun stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
Here are a couple of the reading lamps- might keep these ones, they have a cool Canadiana feel to them.The medicine cabinet is in good shape, and there is a magazine rack just like the black metal patterned lamp. The material is the original curtains- plan on turning them into pillows or something. In strangely good shape and almost stylish.

I got all the plywood exposed yesterday in the trailer....nothing rotten really so now I am wondering why replace it.....but I think I will anyway. You only get one chance at this don't you?

As for the stuff - let me know if there is something you are interested in.

Mark

I would love the magazine rack and the black metal lamps. The ones from the first pictures and the one from these pictures. Please let me know if they're available. They would be going to a good home.

Thanks!
Sue
__________________

__________________
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member
 
1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 144
Ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneysue925 View Post
I would love the magazine rack and the black metal lamps. The ones from the first pictures and the one from these pictures. Please let me know if they're available. They would be going to a good home.

Thanks!
Sue
I forgot to say Welcome, Congratulations on a great find and Thank You!!

Sue
__________________

__________________
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master
 
nmbosa's Avatar
 
1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
Here are a couple of the reading lamps- might keep these ones, they have a cool Canadiana feel to them.The medicine cabinet is in good shape, and there is a magazine rack just like the black metal patterned lamp. The material is the original curtains- plan on turning them into pillows or something. In strangely good shape and almost stylish.

I got all the plywood exposed yesterday in the trailer....nothing rotten really so now I am wondering why replace it.....but I think I will anyway. You only get one chance at this don't you?

As for the stuff - let me know if there is something you are interested in.

Mark
I'd be interested in that last light that has the onion skin shade with metal grate. I need something for under our kitchen cabinet.

Norm
__________________
Norm and Mary
blog: Captain Wilson's Overlander
nmbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member
 
1957 26' Overlander
Victoria , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 124
Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
I would really love the round center light fixture!
PM me your address and we will sort out the shipping. BTW-Love your blog
__________________
Sparky57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member
 
1957 26' Overlander
Victoria , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 124
Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneysue925 View Post
I would love the magazine rack and the black metal lamps. The ones from the first pictures and the one from these pictures. Please let me know if they're available. They would be going to a good home.

Thanks!
Sue
OK- PM me your address and we can sort out shipping. I will have to double check on the magazine rack- my wife may want to keep that one, but if not it is yours.
__________________
Sparky57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member
 
1957 26' Overlander
Victoria , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 124
Onion Skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
I'd be interested in that last light that has the onion skin shade with metal grate. I need something for under our kitchen cabinet.

Norm
Hi Norm,

Just PM me your address and we will sort out the shipping.

Mark
__________________
Sparky57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member
 
1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 144
PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
OK- PM me your address and we can sort out shipping. I will have to double check on the magazine rack- my wife may want to keep that one, but if not it is yours.
Thank you!

Sue
__________________
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #36
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,636
Mark, it's very kind of you to share out your extra parts like this. Our good friend here on the Forums, Frank aka 62Overlander and who is also a trailer restoration specialists and VAP special contributor, talks often of The Airstream Spirit. It appears to be strong in you.

Sounds like you have a lot of great advice on this thread, and a good plan in place. All it takes from now on is a ton of hard work, probably some bloody knuckles, and numerous showers.

Good luck and keep us posted!
-Marcus

Edit: If you're asking what The VAP is, you really need to do yourself a favor and check it out here:

http://thevap.com/
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #37
Rivet Master
 
webspinner's Avatar
 
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,269
Images: 15
If the floor is mostly in good condition, consider leaving it in place and protecting it with penetrating epoxy. We replaced just the rotten parts and that was enough work. You'll camp in it a heck of a lot sooner if you're not wrestling with perimeter rivets.

My husband wrote up a bit about our floor work in our blog, below my sig.

Good luck with your project!
__________________
Barbie
Our travel and renovation blog: http://tinpickle.blogspot.com/
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member
 
1957 26' Overlander
Victoria , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 124
more tear out...

Took out the interior panels last night, will take out the rest tonite and start carefully labelling and documenting how they all came out so I can put them back in 6 months from now. Considering polishing the end cap in the bathroom area...so I might leave it in place and strip and polish it....decisions decisions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0734.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	152184  
__________________
Sparky57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
Took out the interior panels last night, will take out the rest tonite and start carefully labelling and documenting how they all came out so I can put them back in 6 months from now. Considering polishing the end cap in the bathroom area...so I might leave it in place and strip and polish it....decisions decisions!
For the lower interior panels, I found it easier to polish them mounted, rather than flat on a work bunch. Some of them are quite large and unwieldy, so polishing them on a bench isn't necessarily possible, and polishing them on the ground really sucks.

Not sure how it would work out up overhead on the endcap, though. You'll have to let us know.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member
 
Victoria , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10
All interior panels are out and now starting on 3 things at once. Windows will all come out and get resealed, polished, new gaskets and new glass....the floor will come out and the frame repaired in sections, and start the electrical planning...

A couple questions ... Cheapest place for Herh window gaskets,seals? Sooo expensive, and i need 100 feet of each type...Know of any good threads on how to do this?

And how the heck do you get the elevator bolts out? From below? They are solid, grinding off the head just leaves them in the flooring...so Should I cut the belly pan off now, save myself time? The pan is coming off anyway so is now the best time?
__________________
mjoregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member
 
submariner's Avatar
 
1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 464
have a look at my threat :
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ion-78252.html

I found it to be the best way, if you just pull the frame out. My 59 has the belly pan riveted onto the c-channel and then the shell is riveted over the top of it. That way, you do not have a seam facing up, where water can get in.

So without pulling the shell off, I was not able to remove the belly pan. And i wanted to put it back together, the way it was designed and you can not re secure all bolts with the pan in place.
Furthermore, i had to ôrepair" my entire Frame.
Regarding the elevator bolts.. well it took about 10 cut-off wheels. i was able to just cut them off the frame, since most of my floor was gone. on places, where there was still wood, i just cut through the wood.

One thing i have to point out, is very important: Take extremely good measurements of your entire floor.

hope that helps
__________________
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member
 
1957 26' Overlander
Victoria , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 124
Belly pan and floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
have a look at my threat :
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ion-78252.html

I found it to be the best way, if you just pull the frame out. My 59 has the belly pan riveted onto the c-channel and then the shell is riveted over the top of it. That way, you do not have a seam facing up, where water can get in.

So without pulling the shell off, I was not able to remove the belly pan. And i wanted to put it back together, the way it was designed and you can not re secure all bolts with the pan in place.


hope that helps
That is how mine is done too- belly pan over the c-channel- So frustrating!....I may pull the shell off, but I'd really like to avoid it- just no space, etc...

After I posted my last post I went back out there and used a Dremel Multi-max tool and a bitmetal blade to saw the bolts off below the c-channel, then a nail set to push them thru the floor. All the bolts seem to be out but the floor won't budge.

If I can get the floor out then my plan is to cut the belly pan off at about 10 inches from the c-channel all around, then remove the shell rivets and slip a new belly pan in over top of the old one.
Think that'd work? I already have a double skin belly in some parts, so that's what gave me the idea....I'd pull the second skin off of those spots and just put a whole new one on....

What are you using for insulation? Trying to think ahead to next steps...wiring, insulation....
Mark
__________________

__________________
Sparky57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1957, 1957 overlander


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1967 Airstream Overlander eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 02-21-2012 11:00 AM
1967 airstream overlander camper trailer eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 02-20-2012 06:50 PM
1957 airstream 22' custom eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 02-20-2012 06:20 PM
1966 Airstream Overlander eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 02-16-2012 06:10 AM
Someday :: 1959 Airstream Overlander Someday'59 Airstream Registry Discussions 0 02-13-2012 12:32 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.