Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1974 - 1979 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2015, 05:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Richmond , Virginia
SOS, minimum towing and Restoration guide

Just got an amazing deal on an Ambassador 29'. I need two inexpensive wheels and a couple of 225 75 r15's to go on them so I can tow her home. I also need to locate a wiring harness that'll attach to the twinkie and car. Where should I go or order from? In the end, I'll get stainless wheels. That's a couple years away.

I'm doubtfull that the braking system will work on the trailer. IF it does, Do I need an electric brake interface installed in my suburban?

I need to be planning a spring renewal overhaul and am looking to completely rewire with led's and rebuild the cabinetry. I also need to verify the road worthiness of the trailer frame.

Thank you all.

-Mac
MACINRIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If you want it to be easy, you can get your complete wheels at a place like Northern Tool. Probably not the cheapest place to search, as they will be close to $200 apiece (rim and tire). You might be able to piece something together cheaper at Discount Tire, but you should still expect to pay at least $150 per wheel.

The electrical connection from the tow vehicle to the trailer is going to depend heavily on the previous owner. When this trailer was originally built, the wiring for the whip probably was not arranged to today's standard. The previous owner ought to be able to shed some light on the situation, and should have the wiring lead. If not, then assume it is wired to the original configuration, in which case it is a bit of a bear to figure out in a hurry. I would suggest just getting a set of those temporary trailer lights that stick on with magnets and a LONG wiring extension.

If the trailer wiring has been updated in the trailer to meet modern standards, and is useable, you are still going to need to see the connection on the front of the trailer. Originally, it was a 7 pin round connection, in which case, you will very likely have to build your own whip with the round connections on the trailer end, and 7 flat blades at the tow vehicle connection. You can get the parts to do this, again, at Northern Tool, etrailer.com, various RV supply places, etc.. If you want to use trailer brakes, and the wiring is all correct, then you will need a brake controller in your vehicle.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Wheel/tire combos are also available from WalMart online special order.
Our new to us had ancient but good tread and no cracks tires when we got it. The 7pin had been updated. So I looked inside the dust caps, nothing frightening. We hooked up, checked the brakes, and headed for home stopping periodically to check things were still ok.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote