Old 05-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #1

Arvada , Colorado
Questions regarding a 1975 Airstream Land yacht 29ft

Hello,

My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a 1975 Airstream Landyacht 29ft Ambassador. We full-timed in a brand new Mobile Suites and are unfamililiar with these older models but love the styling.

My big question is the existence and size of the gray water tank. The owner believes there is one but says it's small but she doesn't know the size. I searched the forum and internet but couldn't find anything other than 7 gallons from slightly older Airstreams. Does anyone know what the grey water capacity for this year and model is?

Also, the AC doesn't work. Is a direct replacement easy to buy and install?

Also, the fridge is supposed to work but I'm a little leary on such an old unit. Has anyone replaced a fridge in one of these units recently?

Thank you for your help!!

Chris

Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
The gray is tank is small enough for my wife to fill in one shower,my blue caddy is 15 gal and emptying gray water almost fillsit up ,so I would say about 14 gal. On the fridge,unless it`s really bad looking it`s better to repair than replace. On the ac it`s an easy change,I just bought a good used one on Craigs list from a wrecked 2004 toy hauler
the guy didn`t get the inside,so I got it for $50.00 ,then to camping world $75.00 for the inside.It`s 3500 but that should cool the Globetrotter just fine. Dave PS welcome to the forum!!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #3

1975 25' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome to the forums!
My 75 owners manual lists the grey tank as 10 gallons and the black tank as 13 gallons for all Land Yacht models. It does not take long to fill that tank up.

Having just replaced my Air Conditioner, I will have to disagree with easyride. Getting the new one installed was a piece of cake compared to getting the old one off. My unit was attached to the roof with about 40 screws, several bolts and numerous rivets. They all had to be removed and then the holes filled and sealed with rivets. The new unit is basically clamped onto the roof with 4 bolts. The 14" hole in the roof had to be reinforced to support the new arrangement. Also the inside piece of the AC had to be adjusted to fit the curved contours of the ceiling. There were two of us working on this and we had numerous helpers. It took all afternoon and a few hours the next morning to finish the job. BTW, I love my new AC unit, it was worth the work. I am very lucky I had the help and support I had during the replacement.

I would keep the refrigerator as long as it still works. The chances of finding a unit the same size is very remote.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Don't discount the fridge unless you know for sure it's broken. I still have my original in my '72 Tradewind and it works flawlessly. They take a long time to get cold, but once cold they work just fine.
Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
As long as the cooling unit of your frig is intact and working, there's really nothing to wear out - no compressor - their only 'enemy' is corrosion of the piping that will lead to a leak...and even then, you can get an exact cooling unit rebuilt replacement, and it will cool like new!

Now if the doors and insides are getting 'ratty', then you may wish to look for a complete new frig....

The only 'real' maintenance issue is to remove the accumulated crud and ash in the flu, and on the burner itself - there are brushes an RV suppliers to help with this job...

I replaced our AC with a new unit, and it's not all that hard to do, and removing the old unit is a 'pain', but doable if you've got a shady place to work!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #6

1975 31' Sovereign
Caro , Michigan
Freezer getting cold, but fridge is warm.

Curious if anyone can give me some advise on getting my fridge to work correctly. I have a 75 International Sovereign 30 ft. I bought the camper last year, fridge and freezer worked great on both electrical and propane. This year, the freezer gets cold, but the fridge won't cool off. Hopefully an easy fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
As long as the cooling unit of your frig is intact and working, there's really nothing to wear out - no compressor - their only 'enemy' is corrosion of the piping that will lead to a leak...and even then, you can get an exact cooling unit rebuilt replacement, and it will cool like new!

Now if the doors and insides are getting 'ratty', then you may wish to look for a complete new frig....

The only 'real' maintenance issue is to remove the accumulated crud and ash in the flu, and on the burner itself - there are brushes an RV suppliers to help with this job...

I replaced our AC with a new unit, and it's not all that hard to do, and removing the old unit is a 'pain', but doable if you've got a shady place to work!

Tags
1975 ambassador