Old 04-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
My opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Just like sticks and bricks houses, kitchens and bathrooms are big features and really important.

If I were in your situation, here is what I might consider for the kitchen. A portable induction cooktop, a convection microwave, and if you can make the layout work, keeping the "vintage" gas stove as well. Add some fancy-pants cabinet storage/appliance garage for a George Forman Grill, Instant Pot, Ninja blender, Toaster, and Keurig. Then just make sure to have a solid 36 inches of continuous counter space and you are done. If I had a metal guy who was itching to do a project, I would have a NSF stainless counter with integrated sink and runnel drainboard.

For the bathroom I would have a stainless shower with integrated seat, and a high curb threshold (maybe 6 inches or so) that could be plugged to use for a shallow tub (very shallow but ok for a toddler or to soak your feet), party beer cooler (add ice and Shiner Bock) , dog wash, or art project room (tie dye, wash out paint brushes). I would add in as much storage as possible, good towel hooks, and I like the flip mirror on the 22 sport that is regular on 1 side and magnifying on the other. I think that the tankless water heater might be worth the investment unless the current one is on the new side.

And as far as everything else, just figure out the shoe storage and everything else will fall into place.

PS you sound like a really nice big brother.

I'm feeling ya on the appliances. Water heater is original. Everything is original except the Fridge. 9.99 gallons wouldn't fill even the original tub. She has to have a tub. One of the duel twins is coming out and turning into a closet and shoe rack.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Are the twins in the center of the trailer? We made one side a double bed with lift up storage underneath, and then built closets and dresser across from it. We have 2 clothes closets, and a dresser that hold all our clothes, plus a closet for jackets. We put a 3 door upper cabinet above the bed for smaller things (holds sheets, etc. right now). The under bed storage gives us room for our extra pop/bottled water, extra blankets, chairs, etc. and is easily accessible. There are many different configurations you can do. We found ours on the vintage Airstream site. Original layout would have been a gaucho instead of a bed.
Good luck!

Kay

Old 04-21-2017, 12:20 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Are the twins in the center of the trailer? We made one side a double bed with lift up storage underneath, and then built closets and dresser across from it. We have 2 clothes closets, and a dresser that hold all our clothes, plus a closet for jackets. We put a 3 door upper cabinet above the bed for smaller things (holds sheets, etc. right now). The under bed storage gives us room for our extra pop/bottled water, extra blankets, chairs, etc. and is easily accessible. There are many different configurations you can do. We found ours on the vintage Airstream site. Original layout would have been a gaucho instead of a bed.
Good luck!
Kay
Yes they are in the middle. Then 2 closets then the rear bath. She wants them both for closets. shes in her early 20's and she don't wanna part with her fashionable wardrobe. haha . she also has to make room for a 15 year old turtle and tank I got her when she was very young, and kitty litter box and kitty, and a big box store day bed she wants to buy for the front that I have no idea how big or if it will fit with the curve front. and her 40 inch smart tv. I'm sure there's more stuff that Im forgetting

I want to talk her into leaving one bed for guests and lifting it up a little higher than the original to store clothes underneath. And make a bed frame in the front that lifts up for more storage.

She also wants a bigger rv tub so I said we can move up the curb side closet making it slightly smaller and turn it more of a toiletries closet. But the bath room overhead cabinet has to be removed because its mounted to said wall that has to move back. But she doesn't want to part with it because she needs the storage for her all her toiletries

Its going to take a miracle.

We had a talk today. She was worried she wasn't going to find a rv park that has sewer hookups. Which brings the question up. Have any of you had a problem with vintage AS's and the 10 year rule?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
We have never had an issue, but are aware that some RV parks and Campgrounds (maybe even some communities) have such restrictions. I'm not sure if it's a "flexible" rule that gets overlooked when the park personnel look out their window and see your restored rig pull up or if we've never stumbled across a place with a restriction. Polishing is a lot of work, though.

Enjoy your project. I'm seeing a built-in turtle terrarium and a custom cubby for the litter box with it's own exhaust fan in your future. Does your little sister read these posts?

Roy and Marie
Old 04-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
The only place I've heard of restrictions on age is at some California parks. There might be others... Texas has AS parks, if you're near one?

Kay
Old 04-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #20
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Yeah, we found one of those California RV parks with trailer-age restrictions (The Lakes RV & Golf Resort in Chowchilla, CA). It was an OK place for an overnight, but not amazing.

No restriction on camper age, as long as your credit card still works.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:18 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64airstream View Post

Does your little sister read these posts?

Roy and Marie
I hope not! She's a pain. But she is my baby Sister. And I do my fair share of pestering her. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Well Today I finally got the floor out in one piece. Well what left of the one piece. I the bigger guy stepped on the back end of the frame. While I had someone else was pulling the floor out from the street side.

So now its on doing a some small repairs to the frame and patching up the aluminum underneath the rear hatch where the steel angle was sandwiched between the c channel and the shell causing a huge corroded mess. I'm thinking about testing some acidic wheel wash on the underbelly to see if I can stop the corrosion on the aluminum then move on the the shell underneath the rear hatch
then patch it and seal the poop out of it.. And replace the steel piece with a stainless piece and probably try and coat it with something. It's prob over kill, but I want it make sure it this wont happen again for a long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170503_131557.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	284692   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170503_142318.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	284693  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170503_144826.jpg