Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Latrobe , Pennsylvania
Just bought a '77 Ambassador 29'

There seems to be no sub forum for 1977 Ambassadors. We just bought one last weekend and are hoping to bring it home this week. It had 4 bad tires so we're having new tires put on before we try and tow it 2.5 hours home. This is our first Airsream. We've only owned a pop up before, so we're new to all of the plumbing, AC, heating things too. So glad to have found these forums!

Old 03-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Richmond , Kentucky
Welcome, Breiz! You have found a great resource and will love it here! I have some friends with a 1975 Ambassador (undergoing renovations at this moment and almost done!), and they are awesome trailers! Here's their blog about it.

Please post pictures of your new baby! We all love seeing pictures here.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
1974 31' Excella (soon-to-be carhauler)
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
I love our Ambassador and cant wait to camp in it. Welcome to the forums! Post pics if you get a chance!

Amy
Old 03-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Welcome!

Welcome, Breiz ...!

We have a 1974 29 ft Ambassador International with the rear bath and twin bed galley configuration. We bought her (Emma) last April. We camped a couple of times before starting significant renovations this past summer. If you have any questions or want to bounce any thoughts off us -- please do. This forum is a great resource with incredible participation and interaction.

Laird and Nancy (maccamper)
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Congratulations and welcome to the forums. You have a great model and will enjoy many years of camping ahead. No matter what state of restoration you have her in this spring, be sure to use her as soon as she is road worthy again (she may also need axles, too). Good luck, post pictures, and have fun with her!

Oh, BTW, don't forget to giver her a name.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #6

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Welcome to the forums from the "other" 1977 Ambassador owner. Tell us about your trailer and add Photos! Rear bath or Mid? Original or updated?
HiHoAgRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Welcome! We have a 1978 Amabassador that we have had for years. It has mid-twins. These are great sized trailers...not to big, not to small. They are also user friendly when it comes to repairs. As previously stated, ask lots of questions.
Tom
Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Latrobe , Pennsylvania
Thank you for the great welcome! It is a rear bath with mid twins. We know we need to rebuild the vista view windows because we can see black goo sliding down in them. Looks like old sealant. I know it needs an oven door handle and a new bathroom counter (those things are obviously broken). The biggest apparent downside is the PO painted the entire interior a sea foam green. I mean everything, the ceiling, the over the bunk storage cabinets, the walls, everything. It wasn't painted well either as I can see brush strokes. So we need to figure out what kind of paint to use and paint over it. I need it brighter. Just cause it looks a bit like a submarine doesn't mean I want to feel like I'm under water

We won't know what works or doesn't work until we get it home. Of course even then we won't know how to test those things. We've never owned a travel trailer before. So this is all new.

How do I know if the axles are bad?

I'll have to figure out how to post pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AScurbside.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	55481   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASgoucho.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	55482  

Old 03-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #9

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Great looking Airstream! The seafoam is, well, mello....
Old 03-04-2008, 05:17 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Latrobe , Pennsylvania
I know, the color just isn't working for me. What color were they inside originally?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #11

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breiz
I know, the color just isn't working for me. What color were they inside originally?
I've seen several different color themes. Most all have had the 'Laugh In Show' theme in the bathroom - big vinyl flowers.. Mine was earth tones with light brown carpet and similar tile in the kitchen. The curtains are a very slight off white and the gauchos were a light brown with darker accents. The walls are a brownish off white. It didn't scream 'I was made in the '70's...although I have seen some that would have been a good backdrop for "The Gong Show" with full '70's colors.

They all have the dark fake wood.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Latrobe , Pennsylvania
I think the flooring in mine must've been redone. It has green carpet and green tiles that don't look worn out at all. My bathroom has that flower print on the wall, that isn't real attractive either. Of course the worst part about the bathroom now is that the counter is all cracked and broken, so I need to get a new sink top. Also the tambour door is missing on my kitchen unit and the rectangular door below it won't stay closed. You can see what I mean in the kitchen pic. These are the only pics I have for now. I'll take one of the broken bathroom sink when we get it home later this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASkitchen.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	55509   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASbath.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	55510  

Old 03-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
What color inside ...

To quote part of HiHoAgRV's reply, our 1974 Ambassador (Emma) definitely screams "I was made in the '70's..." and Gong Show or Laugh-in flashbacks might be appropriate.

We have the marvelous harvest gold countertops and lovely orange folding shower door (still available if anyone wants a vintage shower door). Our interior is/was a yellow/creme color to complement the lovely red orange shag carpet. The shag carpet was mostly removed when we got her. The Magic Chef oven has the marvelous graphics and design appropriate to appliances of that era.

The remaining original drapes were an off-white. I'm not sure what the original gaucho fabric and twin bed covers would have been. By the time we got her, they were all a blue/green in 70's era floral pattern.

Ah yes, and the walnut laminate/trim pseudo wood is and was everywhere. She has a lot of potential, our Emma.

Enjoy yours!

Nancy (mrs. maccamper)
Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breiz
Thank you for the great welcome! It is a rear bath with mid twins. We know we need to rebuild the vista view windows because we can see black goo sliding down in them. Looks like old sealant. I know it needs an oven door handle and a new bathroom counter (those things are obviously broken). The biggest apparent downside is the PO painted the entire interior a sea foam green. I mean everything, the ceiling, the over the bunk storage cabinets, the walls, everything. It wasn't painted well either as I can see brush strokes. So we need to figure out what kind of paint to use and paint over it. I need it brighter. Just cause it looks a bit like a submarine doesn't mean I want to feel like I'm under water

We won't know what works or doesn't work until we get it home. Of course even then we won't know how to test those things. We've never owned a travel trailer before. So this is all new.

How do I know if the axles are bad?

I'll have to figure out how to post pics.
The following article will teach you how to check the axles.

Dura Torque Axle

Also, the front window "rock guard" is the original made by Airstream out of a very poor plastic, that's famous for cracking. When it cracks, part of it has been known to fly off when traveling.

Solar gray replacements are available on sale.

Andy

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1975 ambassador, 1977 ambassador