Old 08-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
kib

Sandnessjoen , Norway
Airstream brakes

Hi,

I live in Norway and want to purchase a "Airstream" camper. What models has non electical brakes, and what years? How is the connections between a camper and a Chevroelt Tahoe for example?

Thanks for any suggestions and informations.

brg
Thore

Old 08-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 34' Classic S/O
Common Sense , Texas
I know of no Airstreams built in the US with non-electric brakes. Maybe the European models.......

Old 08-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Some models do have or offer as an option hydraulic disc brakes. However the hydraulic brakes on the trailer are actuated by an electric pump that is controlled by the tow vehicle. Trailer brakes in the US are controlled by a add on unit called a brake controller that generates and sends a electrical current to the trailer through the 7 pin cord. There are many models of controllers that operate on different principles. One type responds to the de-acceleration of the tow vehicle when it brakes. One type works off the brake pedal. One type directly links into the car computer. I am pretty sure you could find a controller that would work with anything you are liklely to be towing with. There are even controllers that are designed to be moved from one tow vehicle to another.

Not used for RV trailers, but for utility trailers, some trailers operate without a connection to the TV. The trailer has a surge brake built into the hitch. Maybe some of the lighter European trailers use this system? I am not really familar with the export Airstreams, but I do think they make quite different models for the European market.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1967 24' Tradewind
1975 31' Sovereign
Estancia , New Mexico
Kib,
It may be helpful to give you the information you need if you tell us why you want an Airstream without electric brakes. Is it a legal requirement in Norway?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #5

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Kib,
It may be helpful to give you the information you need if you tell us why you want an Airstream without electric brakes. Is it a legal requirement in Norway?
The Airstream UK site specifies "EU compliant overrun braking system" on the trailers they offer. While "overrun brakes" is just another phrase for "surge brakes" looking at some of these EU systems it appears that they have a built-in parking brake, a handle you can move into the "park" position that locks the brakes on the trailer when you're unhitched. I don't know if the parking brake is part of the requirement for EU compliance but it sounds like a nice feature.

Il Carriaggio — 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
kib

Sandnessjoen , Norway
Brakes on "Airstream"

Hi,

many thanks for all the answers, the brake system on EU campers work´s as when you step on the brake pedal the weight of the camper will push on your car and the mechanical brakes on the camper will be added and help to stop the car & camper. It is right that there also must be a park brake handle, this one is used when you disconnect the camper from your car so it dosent roll away.
I better find out what they do to the brakes for the EU models, and maybe see if it is possible to add a system like this on an older camper.

Thank´s again everybody!
Old 08-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
I have a 2009 25' Classis. What type of brakes is installed on this trailer? Just Elect or elect over hyd or hyd. I jsut purchased a 2012 F-150 with tow cap of 9800 that has a trailer hitch but did not have a tralier brake controller, I have installed a controller and it is asking me what type of brake.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 34' Classic S/O
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
I have a 2009 25' Classis. What type of brakes is installed on this trailer? Just Elect or elect over hyd or hyd. I jsut purchased a 2012 F-150 with tow cap of 9800 that has a trailer hitch but did not have a tralier brake controller, I have installed a controller and it is asking me what type of brake.

Your trailer's brakes are electric.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
kib I believe there is also a length maximum in Europe also. If you get a trailer that is 20 years old or more it likely could use or needs new axles so you could replace the axles with ones that have hydraulic brakes and replace the coupler with a surge brake actuator coupler on most any trailer (some welding required). I believe you would also need to change the lights.