Old 05-11-2008, 12:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
A 1978 28' Ambassador's in our driveway

...Yea Ha...we just coaxed a 78 Ambassador to come live with us, it's fourth set of caretakers!

We just love it! The exterior is 'cherry' with no road rash to be seen. The interior's almost as good, especially for a 30 year old rig!

We've got all the manuals, notes from the original owner, etc...enought to keep me busy looking at for the next week! The 1st owner's even left their two caravan beret's neatly packed away inside.

We've been playing some of our old 8-tracks in our 'new' rig's 'like new' stereo...sounds just great for an old gal...

She was built with all the right stuff, Alum Mag wheels, electric brakes, Stereo, etc. We even received a complete WD hitch assembly.

I towed her home about 60 miles today with our 89 Bronco that's been re-geared, and she towed like a dream! After dialing in the Brake Controller, she even stopped on a dime, with 2 cents change!

We'd like to find a nice Excursion V10 for our ultimate TV, and we'd be roadin' in style!

We've been draeing up our list of things to add, couple of super fans, and maybe a new vinyl/woodgrain floor, some LED marker lights and Stop/Tail lights, and probably a new AC unit...OH yeah, and a flat panel TV and an XMRadio...I think we'll keep the 8-Track just for effect!

Now if I can just figure out how to clean out the dual pane windows - the vista's have lots of UV film bits floating around, and the larger windows have a bunch of bubbles in the Shade Film...looks like a large project...anyone fixed their's?

It's great to be aboard with our new family member! See you on the road!

Old 05-11-2008, 04:20 AM   #2
touched
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Catonsville , Maryland
and now everyone says "We would love some photos"....

Welcome and congratulations.

http://annalumanum.blogspot.com/http://frankstrailerworksblog.blogspot.com/
www.frankstrailerworks.com
62overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:36 AM   #3

2005 25' Safari
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Congrats on your new baby. We need to see baby pictures.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2012 FC 23' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Hi Ray and Pat, sounds like you landed a deal on the one we have been chatting about. Great deal to find!
Now you must show it off to the rest of of us Nor-Cal Airstreamers here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...2-a-41598.html
Happy streamin',
Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray
...Yea Ha...we just coaxed a 78 Ambassador ...

Now if I can just figure out how to clean out the dual pane windows - the vista's have lots of UV film bits floating around, and the larger windows have a bunch of bubbles in the Shade Film...looks like a large project...anyone fixed their's?
Fix your windows here
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ilm-37422.html

This is not for the weak. You will see in the thread what to do if you break the inner pane by accident (or on purpose, I suppose). You can make your windows into single pane if you want.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Thanks, Guys...Yes Jeff, that's the one that we found here in the Valley.

To our surprise, when we lifted up the twin beds we found the storage areas just crammed with stuff from the original owner. He had paid for a rivet repair kit when he bought the rig, and it was still there, a pop rivet gun and four sizes of alum rivets! I think our Ambas'dor just got about a 100 pound diet by the time I offloaded all this 'stuff'!

This rig has three of those large light/fan vents in the overhead...Think I'll get some Fantastic Fans for two of them. I wonder if those Fans that Vintage sells for Airstreams will fit the holes without any modifications...

I' ll take some pics...

Ray
Old 05-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Ray,
We have the same model/year trailer...you will love it. Fantastic Fans will fit into the roof holes. The only thing I had to do, if I remember correctly, was square the holes up. The original holes had slightly rounded corners. Do you have a rear or mid bath?
Tom
Old 05-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Congratulations. Welcome to the '70's models. I've got a '75 Ambassador, 29 foot, center bath, rear twins. How is yours set up? I'd love to see photos of your new trailer too.

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Hey, all of Us Ambassador's are chiming in
Jeff
Old 05-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Just got our 76 Sovereign 31ft and found the same surprises from the previous owner. Those storage areas are just like Christmas aren't they? Found lots of notes, manuals, original price sheets, parts for stuff on the trailer and got the WD hitch too. Don't you just love it when you get a trailer that someone has taken loving care of? Now, about the Vista-View windows!!!!!! I'm still trying to get up the nerve to tackle ours, but decided to camp and leave them alone for now. If you don't have the pull down shades in place, those windows let in lots of heat on a sunny day. We put the wood floors in our Argosy, but I'm leaving the great carpet in this one. I hate the gritty feel of what's tracked in when camping and I'm tired of double taping the runners and rugs in place. I know that dirt gets in the carpet, but I can vacuum and don't spend all my time sweeping up grit. Congratulation, and give us some pictures of your baby. Also I want a running report on your progress in cleaning the Vista-View windows. You give me hope, but I want pictures of another novice taking the plunge.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #11

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We have a '77 rear bath and yes, our 8-track and LED clock work!

Congrats on the purchase, Ambassadors seem to be on of the rare large units.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
For those who asked, our 28 Ambas'dor is a twin/rear bath model.

Here's some pictures...you can click on an image to enlarge:

Old 05-12-2008, 07:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Nice photos Ray, so whatcha listening to on the 8-track stereo?
Jeff
Maybe we can swap 8-track music at the fall rally!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Well....just bit the 'bullet' and ordered a new Carrier AC unit along with a Winegard Sat Antenna, the new type for Dish Net HD - has a larger dish and three LNB's for all the coverage. We don't have HD yet, but we're trying to plan ahead...that original TV antenna up there is one UGLY mess of alum spaghetti!

Earlier this week I ordered three new Fantastic fans from Vintage to replace the original stuff...ordered one fan with thermostat, one with fan only, and one vent with no fan...we have three holes to 'fill' up there, not counting the AC or the round bath fan.

Speaking of the round bath fan...ours doesn't work, the motor doesn't operate...anyone out there bought a replacement? Where did you get yours?

I've been spending my free time this week with mundane tasks such as; replacing the reflectors all around; updating the alum propane tanks with late style valves, and certifying; getting all the marker lights ready for new LED replacements; removed an old CB antenna mount on the roof and made an round alum 'patch' to cover the hole; replaced an ugly cable RV fitting through the hull with a new alum plate unit riveted in place, etc, etc....the list is endless.

BTW...I happened to look a new AS rig (Bambi?) on my dealer's lot today, and I was astounded to find that the overhead cabinets were tambours!!! They look just like our 30 old units, except they use wood cabinets instead of molded plastic for the ends - but the tambours doors look the same! I wonder if AS would sell these cabinets as units in the length size one might need...probably at a LARGE price tag, I'll bet!

Well, back to the 'project'...looks like I'm going to be doing lots of 'roof top' work soon! If you're looking for me, I'll be the guy with all the silver Siliflex stuck to my body!

Tags
1975 ambassador, 1978 ambassador