Old 05-19-2003, 05:09 AM   #1
T&R
1 Rivet Member

1976 Ambassador

Hi Everyone,
We just purchased a 1976 ambassador. It is in all original, nice, shape. We bought it sat. 5/17/03. We will be picking it up today or tomorrow. CAN"T WAIT! Pictures will be posted as soon as we bring it home. This seems the place for info, links and anything else an A/S owner (or potential owner) needs to be. I didn't see any other ambassadors around this age here. are there anymore? Thank you for your time,

Teresa & Rick

Old 05-19-2003, 09:26 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Smile 70's Ambassadors

We have a 79. Love it.
The only tough thing is wearing the
polyester leisure suits to match the
upholstery.

Old 05-19-2003, 10:46 AM   #3
T&R
1 Rivet Member

haha, I know what you are talking about. Big flowers and green carpet. Would it lower the value to redo these? We don't plan on selling it, and in a year or so, it is all about hitting the road full time. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanx,

Teresa & Rick
Old 05-20-2003, 08:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

We had the big llowers and orange shag. Piece by Piece year by year we have made it ours.
Oh boy this weekend we get to put on a new curb side and rear awing if they get shipped f rom zip-dee. We have been coveting these awnings since we bought the overlander.
Now if we could just get those vista view windows installed.
Oh wait maybe we could just buy a third airstream that has them.
We have our eye on one, that would solve that problem.

We never considered the option of selling so the idea of value is a mote questions.
I think that bringing them in to this decade while preserving the 70's charm is our goal.
Hope you love yours as much as we love ours. Just remember that you don't need a hobby you have an Airstream.
mareinmn
Old 08-22-2003, 04:12 PM   #5
Paul

1979 29' Ambassador
Woodinville , Washington
79 Ambasador

I have a 79 ambasador and have replaced the carpeting with wall to wall light beige I got a remenant for $10.00 at our local rug store and installed it my self took to original out and used it as a teplate and cut it about 1/2 inch longer and kicked it in and trimmed it as I went along took an afternoon would have been faster if I had done it before had one seam in the bedroom area looks good. I should have put in a new pad next time I replase it I will... Love the trailer...
Old 09-18-2003, 08:34 PM   #6
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
new carpet

we replaced our not so original carpet with carpet squares. They are great since they don't use a pad, are bacterial resistant and can be replaced as needed. We choose a carpet in a turquoise/green that matches the original fabrics. The leisure suit is still optional.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 05:00 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1960 18' "Footer"
Elephant Butte , New Mexico
We just got our 75 Amabassador in October and have been busy at work on the interior. No leisure suits for this couple! We are removing all evidence of the seventies! We don't plan on ever selling it so we don't care about resale value. It's coming along beautifully!
Old 12-23-2003, 11:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Ambassdor

Hey ,just one more Ambassador here. We purchased our 1978 in the summer of 2002. We like the size and orientation of things. Feel proud of your new find,were not the majority out there,in terms of length.Enjoy
Old 05-31-2004, 10:10 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Has anyone tried replacing roll up doors under front couch? I need to do this but have no idea how. Thanks
Old 05-31-2004, 12:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1960 18' "Footer"
Elephant Butte , New Mexico
roll up doors

Hello Camphost,

We had looked into replacing the roll-up doors too. If you do a search for "tambour" on the forums you should come up with some "how to" info. Here is a website someone had given me when I was researching:

http://www.winonamanufacturing.com/k...essories.shtml

Turns out, it can be quite a pain to replace tambour doors so we just ended up painting the old ones. Looks really nice.

Good luck!
Maggie
Old 07-13-2004, 09:44 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Parker Dam , California
1972 Ambassador

Congratulations on you Ambassador
We are the proud owners of 1972 Ambassador. You are right, there are not to many AS in low to mid seventy year range. I dont know why. Maybe they were too long or too expensive. Mine is a 29 ft, rear bath, center twin beds. Can't wait to see you pics. By the way how much did you pay for your unit? You can check out our AS on my website. - check profile

We are now starting the polishing process and we are looking for new moderen rims.

Again congratulations.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:01 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
We have had our 1978 Ambassador for a few years now. It is a rear bath, center twins with the couch on the street side. We love it. The floor plan is great for our family. We had a 1966 Ambassador when I was a kid and I really like the size as well as the floor plan. I replaced the front and rear vents with Fantastic Fans, replaced the univolt, replaced the frig, and put a pergo floor in the galley and living area. I don't see many Ambassadors but feel they are the best size to own...small enough to get into tight spots and large enough to be comfortable for long periods of travel.

Glad to see a few of us on this site!!
Old 08-26-2004, 03:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
"Has anyone tried replacing roll up doors under front couch?"

I wanted to get easier access underneath so I could store folding chairs and stuff a toolbox under there. It is simply a frame for the mattress screwed into the wall in the back and supported in the front by the tambour door apparatus.

I built a new frame for the front out of old aluminum awning supports and also put angle aluminum on the front wall for better support there. Easy to do. One of these days I'll get pictures up.

Anyone need the 8 track and its mounting or the three door tambour frame?

(you can see the rig at http://rgj.com/news/stories/html/200...s&sp7=umbrella )
Old 01-27-2005, 10:17 AM   #14
Soul Rebels

Avocado Gold!

My rug smelled bad, ripped it out replaced w/ a floatin' faux wood floor. ez cleaner but pricey. Any ideas on where my disco ball should go?

Tags
1975 ambassador, 1976 ambassador