Old 11-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Larose , Louisiana
Preparing for new plumbing

Finally, all flooring is removed and the fresh tank is removed. Inspected fresh tank and found no leaks. Sanitized it. Ready to cut a cross member to start the gray tank placement. Also found some cross members rusted in need of repair and painting. Decided to replace fresh tank bottom plywood that was 1 inch thick with a regular 3/4" sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3709.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	764.8 KB
ID:	145320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3713.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	561.5 KB
ID:	145321  

Old 11-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Larose , Louisiana
Painting the trailer frame

Today we begun painting the trailer frame. I'm using a paint sprayer hooked to my compressor. A black rustoleum paint should do it. Half way finished and my compressor overheated and quit. After about 15 minutes of cool off time it worked again but of course by then I had already started cleaning the sprayer.

We also tested a few more spots this weekend on polishing the body. I used an 8000 rpm polisher and it overheated within an hour of polishing. That's about two square feet.

This job would be a whole lot easier if I had quality tools to work with.

We also rewired the electric brakes and tested then with the truck. They work with direct battery hook up but not with my trucks towing harness. There isn't enough power going to the trailer to allow the brakes to work.
Question: Are the brakes supposed to appply easily with the tow harness or full force? Anyone know how this works? It would make sense if they were applying easily as to not lock them up as they do with a full 12 volts.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Do you have a brake controller? The brakes do not get attached directly to the battery or brake pedal.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworetire View Post
Today we begun painting the trailer frame. I'm using a paint sprayer hooked to my compressor. A black rustoleum paint should do it. Half way finished and my compressor overheated and quit. After about 15 minutes of cool off time it worked again but of course by then I had already started cleaning the sprayer.

We also tested a few more spots this weekend on polishing the body. I used an 8000 rpm polisher and it overheated within an hour of polishing. That's about two square feet.

This job would be a whole lot easier if I had quality tools to work with.

We also rewired the electric brakes and tested then with the truck. They work with direct battery hook up but not with my trucks towing harness. There isn't enough power going to the trailer to allow the brakes to work.
Question: Are the brakes supposed to appply easily with the tow harness or full force? Anyone know how this works? It would make sense if they were applying easily as to not lock them up as they do with a full 12 volts.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Larose , Louisiana
I was assuming I didn't need one if my '02 Avalanch has a towing package. Am I wrong?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Remodeling for a New Life

Greetings Tworetire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworetire View Post
I was assuming I didn't need one if my '02 Avalanch has a towing package. Am I wrong?
Unless things changed between 1999 and 2002, the Chevrolet/GMC light truck trailer towing package did not include a built-in trailer brake controller. It is possible that the packaged did include the wiring for a under-dash brake controller by 2002 -- my 1999 didn't include the connector but the wires were under the dash and part of the package and were also terminated at the rear of the vehicle. There are at least four different brake controllers that are fequently recommended by members of this Forum, and you can perform a Forums search and find a number of lively discussions regarding brake controller choices.

Good luck with your research and investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Larose , Louisiana
Plumbing for trailer

I have decided that my idea will work simply by adding a bilge pump to the gray tank to be abe to rinse the black tank for a total flush. This enables all waste from the black tank to be flushed down the long stretch up 4 inch drain to the back of the trailer.

All floor joists are now painted with a rustoleum black paint, two coats. My next rask is to ensure all belly pans are fastened sucurely and then it's plumbing time.

Also discovered that removing the clear coat is a must in order to not work so hard to get the shine back on the outter skin. I found that by applying acetone with a green scrub pad and rubbing gently in one drection does this well. I am wondering if we can wetsand it off so I will try that in an inconspicuate location. I would prefer to use something electrical like a sander but a little nervouse as to what it might do.

Thanks to all that have contributed their ideas and we wish you all a merry Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbimg.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	146603  
Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
tworetire:
I just finished stripping the clearcoat on my Airstream and am in the beginning stages of polishing now. I used aircraft stripper: it is a liquid/gel that you paint on and scrape off gently with a smooth plastic scraper.
You will need to remove the clearcoat before you polish. Also, look at the rpm's of you polisher; most of the information I have read says the rpm should be somewhere between 1000-3000. I am using Nuvite to polish F/C/S it is going well so far.
Look at this link.... lots of good info: Aluminum Polishing

also look at the nuvite website also... more good info:
Nuvite Home Pg Polishing Clad Sheet Metal Procedures

Post pics of your progress!!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Larose , Louisiana
Hi Bill, no I do not have a brake controller yet. After some extensive research I am finding that I must have one installed. I assumed that a tow package came with a brake controller but thats what I get for assuming. My wiring harness has a schematic on the lid of the connector and it clearly say "electric brakes". But when I measure the voltage without the brakes applied it puts out a mere 2 volts and while the brakes are applied, it doesn't change. So hopefully a brake controller applies the brakes like it's supposed to.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Tworetire, if you're not wanting to use harsh chemicals on your Airstream to strip clearcoat, I've used CitriStrip with great success. There are other strippers out there of course.
Nuvite is your best bet once clearcoat is removed. Several ways of polishing, and there are several threads out there concerning what others have used. I've started with Random Orbital polisher, but thinking I may spend the $ and do what KeyAir and DarkSpeed have used.
Still waiting to hear about your tanks from the 'friend of a friend'. I just saw somewhere on the forum where someone ordered new tanks. Gotta be here somewhere. If I can find the thread, I'll PM you.
Oh, and LOVING the floorplan you've designed. Looks like you've go the black water tank all thought out
Thanks, Derek
Old 04-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Larose , Louisiana
Red face Out of time

Well it comes down to time. I ran out of time to complete my remodel project and therefore I'm willing to sell everthing. It is completly disasembled so if your'e looking for parts lets me know. I wanted to offer it to my Airstream friends first.

Tags
1973 ambassador, remodel, 1973 Ambassador