Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1970 -1973 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #1

1973 29' Ambassador
Currently Looking...
anaheim , California
NEW to Airstream

Currently looking into a 1973 Airstream Ambassador. It's in fair condition with the flooring torn away and ready for new flooring. What should I be looking for? Appliances? Under carriage? Please advice. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00w0w_35PASLW4SNY_600x450.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	220716  
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum. You will undoubtedly find your answers here. I would encourage you to spend all your free time searching this site for untold variety of comments and answers to your specific question(s). Of course, dial in to your specific model under the "Forums" tab to get commentary and dialogue on your unit.
I've found the group to be very responsive, particularly to more direct and pointed questions. Good luck with your Ambassador!
Old 09-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Looks like it has a substantial dent in an end segment. Be aware that those compound-curved segments are pricey to replace.

Check the right-hand column on the Portal page for a link to volunteer inspectors who will look a trailer over for you pre-buy. Also, there's a good pre-buy checklist there.

Best of luck finding your trailer.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #4

1973 29' Ambassador
Currently Looking...
anaheim , California
SO those dents can't be hammered out? Do you actually have to replace the entire panel?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Body damage is probably the most expensive thing to deal with on an Airstream. You may be able to minimize their appearance by pulling on them with suction cups or other "paintless dent removal" techniques, but if they are bad enough, you will have to remove the interior furnishings, remove the interior skins to access the back of the shell, and then you might be able to push a dent out from inside, or work it with a roller to clean it up. IF the dent is bad enough to cause the metal to stretch/wrinkle, your choices are to remove the panel and have it worked on an English Whell by someone who know what they are doing, or to buy a replacement panel. Both expensive and labor intensive options.

Of course, 70's era trailers (and later), are notorious for floor that rot in the rear, resulting in rear-end separation. This usually also goes hand in hand with some frame rot as well. You might not see this so much in California.

Use the buyer's inspection checklist from the portal page mentioned above, and it will walk you through a pretty thorough inspection. Just calibrate your expectations up front: if the trailer is 40+ years old and has never had any renovation done to it, then it will be you that is doing the much-needed renovating.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Welcome! also try out the search google feature to look for specific things as it is much more effective in my honest opinion. But if you do not find an answer, post the question...people will happily answer your question....or so it has been my experience on this wonderful forum!

I had read a great deal about restoring an older unit a couple years ago...this unit will look amazing when you are done with it...or even just get some minor repairs done...it already looks nice IMO...

If I recall, the biggest concern would be structural problems from corrosion of the frame under the flooring....years of moisture in contact with that frame could have damaged...

Best of luck...take pictures as you go and share!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #7

1973 29' Ambassador
Currently Looking...
anaheim , California
Thank you all for your replies. Just return from looking at the Airstream, The owned had already removed the old carpet and the wood flooring looks to be in great condition. Many minor issues inside and out. This is the mid bathroom and twin beds in the rear. I would like to take on the challenge to restore it and YES it has never been restored so It would have to be me that restores it. If I do purchase it rest assured you guys will be receiving many questions as well as pictures.